Versys-X 400 speculations thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by PaD, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's nice to think about a round the world trip on the Versys-X but the sad truth is that the majority of us will be happy to get a day or two away from home on a long weekend.

Lots of us look forward to the once or twice a year we might be fortunate enough to get to the mountains and onto roads that aren't straight and flat.

But
    it's nice to have a bike that could do RTW. If we had the time. And the money. And the fitness. And...

I'll settle for that week in the mountains once or twice a year. But I do enjoy dreaming. And the 400 will be the perfect answer for me in either scenario ... my reality or my dreams. :beer

...ken...
  2. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    IMO RTW has been misused to artifically classify bikes in x type category that is totally arbitrary and is not as exciting as some might think.
    There are many cool things one can do w/o engaging in long and hard adventures.
  3. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are retired, no? As for money it is possible to survive on $35 a day; that would entitle wild camping whenever possible and cheap eats. And you don't have to be in the shape when you start, but you will be when you are finished.
  4. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    "wild camping" ... I gave that up a few years ago. I've come to value my comforts. I "camp" with my credit card and a duffel bag just big enough to hold clothes for a week. So $35 per day is a little (!) low.

I agree about getting into better shape on the ride. But I can think of easier cheaper ways to do that.

I'm honestly at a stage in my life where I'm good for about 3-4 weeks on the road and then I'm ready for my own bed again. That's really not the attitude a good adventurer needs.

..ken...
    Adanac rider likes this.
  5. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    3-4 weeks would put you in the 99th percentile of riders.
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    For me it's about 6-8 weeks. What you do at that point you find a town and stay there for a while.

The friend of mine manages travel on $500-800 a month, that includes lodging and food but he is staying in one place for a while I spent ~$20-30 a day on gas only.
    SoManyFish likes this.
  7. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    When I talk about being home, I'm talking about something far bigger than simply stopping movement for awhile.

For me, home is where my spouse, children and grandchildren, and lifetime friends are. Everything that has become an integral part of my life. Even the local surroundings: my neighbours, the family doctor, the stores, the familiar streets, and the day to day routines.

When I was younger, that wasn't such a compelling part of my life. Yes, family and friends were important. But location was no big deal for me. I was comfortable pretty much anywhere I was, as long as I was able to keep in touch with the people who matter. Being on the road was just as attractive in its own way as being at home.

That has changed over the past few years. I can easily give up travel if it was necessary (I hope it never becomes necessary!). I can't give up "home".

...ken...
  8. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Home is where the heart is. Everyone is different but a lot of people in your very same situation. My adv. trips cannot go for longer than 10 days(IF)... 15 days max.
    So "international" and "transcontinental" travel has to happen close to borders (North US-Canada) and small countries (Europe: Spain, Portugal, France, Swiss..UK, Italy, Germany, etc..) or then travel somewhere and just rent a bike.
    I don't have time to cross entire continents from one end to the other.
    The trip we are planning in Oct (Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia... covid allowing) starts in the north of Spain and just taps a bit on the north africa, sahara and then back.
    I wish I could ride around Africa for 2-3 months (time and budget wise) but I cant. I have a job, kids in college (so I am now on a budget), not same stamina, etc...
    like you said, there are certain dreams/things one has to do when young or then one will have to adapt ... or some wait to retirement, bucket list, etc... ...
    SoManyFish likes this.
  9. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Ken in Regina and @11motos chinese proverb: "if you have desire you have thousand opportunities if don't <have one> you have thousand excuses."
  10. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    There has to be some balance somewhere. Life constantly requires some type of trade-off based on one's reality.
    It doesn't matter how much I desire to go on a trip to the moon.

Galizian proverb: "Green wood, Young People, everything is smoke"

... there is also Gravity...

upload_2021-2-28_13-44-43.png
  11. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    Lot of truth in your comment about what constitutes a RTW bike...brings to mind the guy in Trip/Ride Reports doing it on a 125cc bike...LOL!

Ken, getting older often does bring with it the desire for a few more comforts and not as much hardship on the road, but there are fixes for that. At the high end, get a toy hauler, load up the bike, and do your adventures in areas where you can ride the good stuff in shorter gulps and go back to a camp with awesome creature comforts. Or, get a smaller RV camper, throw the bike in the back of a pickup and do the same. Or, camp out of a van or pickup camper pulling your bike on a trailer. I've done it about every way, but any method brings more comfort, better camping logistics, and less wear and tear on the body.

I too have gotten spoiled a bit and have no desire to load up on a bike to do my travels across the nation anymore, but it hasn't stopped me from going to all the great riding locations in this nation...and Canada BTW...has to offer...and frankly I'm able to stay longer because the living accommodations aren't beating me up. Each day I can continue the exploration refreshed and renewed. I've done decades traveling off the bike, and it was great. I'm just enjoying it in a different way, and it's still great.

Yes, home is important, but it's also the place where they might end up carrying you out feet first, full of regrets for the adventures of life that were missed unnecessarily.
    11motos likes this.
  12. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry if I've left the impression that I can't or won't have adventures any more. That's not at all the case.

I have absolutely no problem packing up the bike and hitting the road. I don't need a toy hauler. I can still make the 500 or 600mi (depending on which way I go) blast across the Prairies in a single day to get to the really interesting riding. The only thing that has changed on the travel side is that I check into a motel at the end of the day instead of a campground. And I let a local restaurant do supper preparation instead of burning my own.

It's wonderful how freeing it is not having to haul camping gear, food and cooking stuff, and constantly pack and unpack it. And having a hot shower and dry bed if you've just done 8-10 hours in the rain.

The biggest riding difference for me these days is that a few years ago we would have spent as much or more time off the pavement as on. In the past three or four years that has shifted to most of the time on the pavement.

Another big difference is that my regular riding companions get homesick quicker than I do, which limits how far and for how long we go.

The only regrets I have are when crappy weather in the target area causes the cancellation of a planned trip, as it has three or four times in the past couple of years.

i may be getting older but I'm still on the green side of the grass and planning the next mountain ride. The only things standing in the way are winter and COVID.

...ken...
  13. fbgomergurard

fbgomergurard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd trade slightly better fork, shock and a taller 6th gear for a 400cc. Both seem like an easier fix than a whole new motor. Otherwise there's something appealing about my bike. Every time I think I need something more I take it out for a ride and it changes my mind.
    jspringator and Ken in Regina like this.
  14. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    I've been doing that since I bought mine in early spring 2017. It still puts a smile on my face.

However, I wouldn't trade anything for the 400cc motor. For my riding, the suspension is adequate. And if I disliked it enough I could get it changed. Can't do that with the motor.

...ken...
  15. manybike

manybike Omnipresent Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just read where due to Euro 5 emission laws the Ninja 400 will be discontinued.
    Does this not destroy any hopes of a 400x ?
  16. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    Well that would suck, hope for a 400X or not. Where did you hear that? That would be a shame.
  17. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Article on the home page. SoManyFish questioned whether that was actually a Euro-5 decision, or something else, in the reader comments. (After all, part of the VX-400 premise, is that the 300 cc engine is phasing out while the 400 is Euro-5 compliant, right?) I was wondering when that info would cross over to this thread.
    SoManyFish and cyclopathic like this.
  18. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    It actually hit this thread a couple of days ago when someone pointed out the article on the home page.

The article did not say that the Ninja 400 was discontinued. They were quite careful to say it won't be sold "in Europe" past the current model and to indicate that with no official word from Kawasaki nobody knows whether it's permanent or just until they can address any remaining issues before reintroducing it there.

...ken...
  19. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    The European Union is becoming a dystopian system based on the accumulation of arbitrary draconian laws.
    We are going to start to see a huge push back as people are getting really tired of the "press ok to agree and continue".

Euro6 motorcycle

upload_2021-3-1_23-6-58.png
  20. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    The US is only a few years behind. In some countries the pendulum is starting to swing away from the EU. Here it is still swinging hard left.
    11motos likes this.