Versys-X 400 speculations thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by PaD, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ya seems odd but klr will be my touring bike. I do have other dual spors and fz6r too. Just looking around. Fz6r might be ok for it. But heavy. Gen1 250 ninja might be the ticket if add handlebars. Getting rare they used to everwhere. Ill check versys out soon. X300 would be commuting and messing around local.
  2. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Versys-X 300 will be perfect for that as long as you remember it's not a full-on dual purpose. And it's great for longer runs, too. What you describe is pretty much how @Bullwinkle uses his and he's still loving it as we start a fifth season with ours.

I don't street ride ... hate riding in city traffic. My riding is mostly day rides of 200km to 500km and a couple of longer trips each season; usually 1 1/2 to 2 weeks. If you're good with revs, it's as good as anything I've ever owned for solo touring. I would go for longer than 2 weeks if I could get the other guys to stay away from home for longer. But they start getting homesick after a week or so. :(

...ken...
  3. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So
    2 up should be ok for local. Local is mostly 55mph roads. Then i can use klr for longer 2 up and longer rides is what im thinking. Solo maybe x300 would be the sporting choice. Also his hers if she wants to ride herself.
  4. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    My wife hasn't ridden in years but I've taken a couple of friends and the grandkids for rides and the VX300 is pretty good for two up. I wouldn't do a long trip with a passenger but I do carry a duffel on the back of the seat, in front of my top case, and that's okay.

Be careful of letting your wife ride on her own. Once my wife got a taste of riding on her own it was pretty much impossible to get her on as a passenger again. You could lose the 300 really quick that way.

...ken...
    Northern_Rider777, David JM and RedEX like this.
  5. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Initially that is a great idea but when you look at the bike closely you quickly realize it is too small and compact and tucked in for this.
    IMO kawa should have a chasis for popular bikes like the Z based on a stock chasis that could be shared with the versys rather than having the Z based on the ninja.
    People are looking for more versatile bikes, standard type with a more civilized ridding position that can fit all sizes.

You have the same problem with the MT03 derived from the R3.
    David JM and Dno like this.
  6. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ha thats how we met. She doesnt ride enough. I get to rebuild her 1989 sporty carb quite a bit. We have vino 125 that she rode and we did 2 up. But roads are bad and fast. Also checked out adv150.
  7. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    The CB300 will be torture for a 2 up unless it is an exception and for a short ride. They are not intended for that other than younger/smaller folks in the city dwellings perhaps.
    The vx300 seems more reasonable for 2 up w/o a lot of aspirations for speed or braking power. I can see that working for some folks that worry more about the panoramic viewsof secondary roads and do not step into the highway.

For people in certain parts of the world is easier since they fit popular bikes better as they might be smaller and lighter on average.

It all really depends on how large the rider and pillion are, how heavy and your level of comfort.

Even if one does not care about acceleration and/or average sustain speeds one might have to consider suspension and/or brake and/or tires upgrades.
    just to be safe of course ... one should be able to stop the bike in a reasonable distance .

...you know what I mean....

upload_2021-4-15_19-47-30.png
    Northern_Rider777 likes this.
  8. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well we dont fill out a touring harley like that. But we have 2 up every bike except ct70 clone. She said no way. I was nervous too. But it should have been fine
  9. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    When I've taken passengers, the only place I took them was on the highway. I had no trouble at all. I had to use the gears a little more ... run the revs up a bit higher before shifting than when I'm riding solo. The highway that runs north out of town is 110kph (~70mph) speed limit and most of the traffic is running 10kph over. The Versys-X has no trouble running with traffic with two up.

I'm 200lb with gear on and at least one of the passengers I've taken was 170-ish. No issue with braking, even slowing from highway speeds. No matter what bike you're on, you have to allow more braking distance with a passenger.

I'm not sure why tires would be an issue - stock or any normal replacement - unless they're badly worn. Again, that's an issue on any bike.

There is nothing you have to do to the Versys-X for two up riding other than normal maintenance. Any poorly maintained bike is dangerous even with one person on it.

...ken...
    NikonsAndVStroms, RedEX and Dno like this.
  10. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yamaha could build a T3 before Kawi starts using the 400 in the VX. Let them know there's a demand.
    upload_2021-4-16_11-25-38.png

Old school vs high tech.
  11. BywayMan

BywayMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We've officially moved past speculation into reminiscing of what might've been, starting NOW.
    Northern_Rider777 likes this.
  12. LazyR

LazyR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We started that a long time ago (right after the point Kawasaki presented the "new" KLR 650)
    BywayMan likes this.