Versys-X 400 speculations thread

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by PaD, Oct 26, 2017.

1. rideforzen

rideforzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    maxresdefault.jpg You will be limited by the 5.1" front and 5.9" rear. But watch On any Sunday. You can do quite a bit with 5-6" of travel.
    11motos likes this.
  2. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Everything is possible when you wear khakis! lol
    rideforzen likes this.
  3. rideforzen

Oddometer:
    I was born in the 60s and looks like something we would wear as a kid. I had a mini bike at 4 then a Honda trail 70 with clutch at age 6 . My brother and I sure abused that 70. Two up we called it stump jumping when my brother rode over smaller logs. When I would drive , he practically could steer the bike by leaning. He was 3 years older and thought it was funny to try to get me to hit things. Sure miss him. Moved up to a used 76 yz 80 even raced it a bit ,at 9 or 10. Off course sorry. Back to speculating. Ya bring it !
  4. PaD

PaD Serial beginner

Oddometer:
    Do you think compression is higher in the 400 vs 300?
    The higher torque seems almost to good considering a 33% increase in cyl. volume .

Edit
    VX300 19ftlb
    Ninja400. 28ftlb
    ( did I get the figures right?)
    tragerbon and The_Precious_Juice like this.
  5. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Excellent point.

This bike may be a little on the Super Sport Side of the spectrum. The 300 is just a Sport Bike.
  6. PaD

PaD Serial beginner

Oddometer:
    Sorry, have to quote myself
    I just found the answer on the European Kawa site. The compression is 11.5:1 for the Ninja400
    10.6:1 for theVX300
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  7. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Makes sense. I wasn't sure about the actual values but I think the effect will be to bring the torque line a bit
    up after 5000 rpm or so, so one can have a wider band yet preserving all the original high rev spirit and fun.
    IMO this will not be a reason for perhaps someone swapping the 300 for the 400 but, if they have the Ninja 400
    then the versys 400 would make sense too.

I put a comparative projection on this post below. Again this is just an estimate and based on the advertised ninja 400
    values and ratios. This might change when we get more feedback the actual dyno results from the ninja 400.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/versys-x-400-speculations-thread.1263616/page-3#post-33584912
    PaD and rideforzen like this.
  8. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    Close enough (I've seen 25.7Nm for VX and 27Nm Ninja, and 38Nm on the UK Kawasaki website). It's at least a 40% increase in torque.
  9. rideforzen

Oddometer:
    You don't need premium in the 300. 87 octane min.
  10. kojack

kojack AMF!

Oddometer:
    The real displacement decider is how big of a man does one think he is! ha ha. I am going to be perfectly fine on the V300 with a weeks worth of gear, plus my wife on back. It will still do 100 kph on the blacktop, with reserve left for passing. Thats as fast as I / we are going. The bike is a great overall bike, and the new tech KLR.
  11. Ham

Ham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I couldn't agree more. To me the ultimate do anything bike remains the Honda 90. I do wish they would build exactly the same thing in a 125 including the dual transmission.
  12. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    W'o the intention to divert the thread.....

I was following a log of a guy who rode to Alaska all the way to Dead horse (Arctic ocean).
    On the way there he found a young couple who rode to Alaska and then planned to ride down to Tierra del Fuego in Argentina in a couple of old honda C90 (90cc) scooters.

Adventure means adventure, it is what you do with what you have, and not just what you have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    PaD and rideforzen like this.
  13. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    It looks KTM is in no hurry with the 390 ADV.

there is little need for Kawi to turn the wick up and make the X 400 any time soon.

Also, there is little need for Honda to do the same with the 250 Rally... Unless a 310 Dakar comes out of no where.

As long the X 300 keep selling well and the production costs look good, just keep allocating the new 400 to street bikes. They still will not be able to meet demand.
  14. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    There is no easy way for us to know if the x300 will cost less or more to manufacture vs a x400. Once the ninja 400 is in full swing it might be easier to consolidate.
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  15. rideforzen

Oddometer:
    Either way Kawi set the bar pretty high in the lightweight Adventure bikes class. Will a single compete at hwy speeds, even with more displacement ? And i mean vibrations and running out of breath on the top end. And the 385 wet weight w 4.5 gallons ? The owners know how well they handle and preform. Good luck.
  16. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    If the ninja 400 is lighter than the 300 and it does great there is no reason to believe a versys 400 could not be lighter and/or do great too.
    I guess it is all speculation like the thread says.
    If they make the 400 I will be looking into this otherwise a CB 500x with a bit of a diet seems like a good candidate for a commuter / quick get away.
    I am in no hurry. I need to get rid of some toys before getting another one anyway.
  17. rideforzen

Oddometer:

If you need 8 more horsepower and 45 extra pounds, don't need a rear rack and like small mag wheels. It's the bike for you.

You should really look at the nc750x a twin built just for torque and gas milage. A bit hefty.

Kawasaki might know better than to mess with a good thing. At least until the competition shows up.
  18. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:

They set the bar without even breaking a sweat.
    Madd profits rolling in.

The G310GS is the closes bike.

Maybe the Royal Enfield Himalayan BS4.
    rideforzen likes this.
  19. rideforzen

Oddometer:
    The Himalayan has been on my radar for a while. As well as the CB500x. Just getting back to basic bikes, without more electronic distractions. If a bike is un ridable without aids then it's too much. Well for me anyways.
  20. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    A few horses more or less is not the issue. The real advantage of the 400 engine is how power is delivered.

The CB bike can loose 25lbs easily. I think in this case, the ideal is too look for a new old stock or low miles.
    the rally raid kit seems to work really well. But again I would prefer to start with spoke wheels from stock.

The nc750x? 48cv 480lbs? No thanks. Plus they do not sell it in the USA.

A royal enfield? Maybe one day when the nr. of trouble free machines is higher
    than the ones with problems.

I don't think a 400 would be very different to the 300 in both performance and philosophy of use.

Anyway, all speculation.