Versys-X 400 speculations thread

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by PaD, Oct 26, 2017.

1. rideforzen

rideforzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its too much power for some. The 125 is almost 9 hp.

Does look nice but needs the 500 engine.

050115-Beginner-ish-Sportbike-Shootout-hp-dyno-633x450.jpg
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    You're probably still using Netscape... it's called Firefox now.
    twaldron likes this.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    JMo (& piglet), RedEX and MYUMPH like this.
  4. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    In European spec, all 125cc bikes are limited to 14bhp to be [A1] learner legal. I can't imagine a full-size bike making much less than that* - the Grom and Monkey however, yes - that ancient horizontal 2-valve design was always lower power in comparison, as it was specific to scooters - not least where mpg was the priority.

*9.8Kw = 13.14bhp according to their UK spec sheet: https://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/street/cb125r/specifications.html

The reason for starting the CB125/300X speculation thread was there would appear to be no physical reason Honda won't also release a 300cc version in the same frame, as they have done with the CB125R and CB300R models this year.

I agree the 471cc twin would be sweet, but I fear that would mean a physically larger and heavier bike overall...

Jx

ps. I know this is a speculation thread too, but in the interests of fairness, we ought to concentrate on what Kawasaki might be bringing out in this specific thread - goodness knows the T7 and KTM790 threads have already descended into a what-ifs if-only Unicorn chase again ;o)
    rideforzen likes this.
  5. twaldron

twaldron Dudeman

Oddometer:
    Yes it is, and I am. I’ve had a form of Mozilla ever since.
  6. mattebox

mattebox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I posted my thoughts on the CB125 speculation here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/honda-cb125-300-x-speculation-thread.1349321/#post-36326918
    It's a nice styling exercise, but I don't think it's the bike we're looking for.

The Versys-X 400 is still our best shot at a decent sub 400 lbs wet ADV bike. To me, the introduction of the naked Z400 makes it even more likely that they will make a Versys-X 400. Kawasaki is now filling out their product line with that engine. First a sport bike, now a naked. It only makes sense to make a third ADV bike with it. Next year might be it.
    JMo (& piglet) likes this.
  7. rideforzen

Oddometer:
    I remember reading the nx250 had spunk. So they could make something fun with the 300 I suppose if it's tuned for more hp.

Honda NX250 93.jpg

But Yamaha needs to bring back TDR 250. 294lbs and 50 hp. I know pesky emissions.

Yamaha-TDR250-88.jpg
    JMo (& piglet) likes this.
  8. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    I agree with you there Matt - I think every manufacturer is trying to consolidate their range these days, and certainly it would make sense for Kawasaki to make their mid-size twins 400cc across the board...

Personally I imagine the only reason the V-X300 is still 300cc is to run out their stock of older engines on the least 'sexy' model - the sportier versions all being sold more on outright power etc.

I think you'll see an V-X400 soon enough ;o)

Jx
  9. rideforzen

Oddometer:

You are correct I was quoting the Grom rear wheel hp. The old screw type 2 valve bikes are sure nice when it comes time to adjust them though.
  10. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Agreed! - this was my Monkey - a 1978 Z50J:

[​IMG]

It had an 88cc kit on it, so barely made 7bhp I imagine - but it was a hoot, and would still hit 55mph on a good day ;o)

I'm honest, in the four years I owned it, I didn't need to touch the valves once either!

Jx
    11motos and rideforzen like this.
  11. kiloloop

kiloloop n00b

Oddometer:
    I’m currently riding an NX-250 and was seriously hoping for an X400 it just seams like the X300 with a bit more power would be perfect.
  12. Lesharoturbo

Lesharoturbo Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Supposedly, you can swap on the 250 jugs and overbore to get ~350cc displacement.
  13. CRP6001

CRP6001 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 300 is a stroked 250, the piston pin height is different. 250 big bore pistons won't work.
  14. Lesharoturbo

Oddometer:
    That I understand . Not suggesting you use 250 big bore pistons. There are several companies who will make custom pistons, 4 for ~$500. Share with a friend.

The 250 used sleeved cylinders, making larger bores somewhat easier.
  15. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    Is the 400 just a bored and stroked 300? or a completely different engine? 1st Gen RFS engines would allow a cylinder swap, no problem. A competent owner, with a working credit card, could be riding the first V400 in a relatively short time.
  16. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    A modern, 500cc FI version of this would be ideal.
  17. Janus9

Janus9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If a guy in his garage can put a 500cc twin in his crf250l that I believe weighed under 350lbs, manufactures could easily build light weight 400-500cc "unicorn" bikes if they really wanted to and I believe they could do it without the bikes costing a premium and wouldn't cost any more or less than any bikes being made today.

The T7 and KTM 790 are steps in the right direction, but modern 400-500cc dirt orientated ADV bikes are just not being serviced by the major manufacturers. I believe that these bikes would be some of the most popular ADV bikes out there.

IMO, lots of the 250cc DS guys would make the switch and lots of the guys on the bigger ADV bikes would make the switch etc...

These really could be ideal BDR, TAT bikes where you could be reasonably comfortable slabbing it there and still get reasonable performance on the dirt.

18. Lesharoturbo

Oddometer:
    It is a completely new engine
  19. SoCalCub

SoCalCub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How much additional weight would it add to the current 386 lbs.? I'd like to stay under 400 lbs. or so since I'm using a trailer-hitch carrier.
  20. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ninja 400 is 15lbs lighter than Ninja 300 but half of it due to less gas.