Versys-X 400 speculations thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by PaD, Oct 26, 2017.

1. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    keep them coming

upload_2017-11-13_18-38-55.png
  2. GhettoCanuck

GhettoCanuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think 8" of travel on the front and 6" on the rear would be reasonable. The more the better.

21" front wheel.

Inverted forks would be nice.
    DavidM1 likes this.
  3. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    The vx has 41 mm forks. I wouldn't go smaller. Typo ?
  4. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Yes that would be nice but also I don't think they are needed. I prefer an older design with nice disk valves and adjustment that an entry level inverted one.
    The old rod style with a valve and preload/rebound tuning have shown to be as effective as more expensive cartridge ones.
    I just fear if we keep adding things then the friendly cost might not be possible.
    the 21" wheel however should be possible w/o adding cost.

thoughts?
  5. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    yes sorry.. typo... 41mm forks.

upload_2017-11-13_20-30-38.png
  6. GhettoCanuck

GhettoCanuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just think there aught to be a way for Kawasaki to slap the forks and front wheel off of a klx250s onto the 400. Thats exactly what I did with photoshop... can't be that hard, right?
    Dracer35 likes this.
  7. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    No it shouldn't be hard. They can do anything they want but keep in mind the more parts compatible with the 300 and 400 the better the price is going to be.
    Classic forks with a few features can be as good as inverted ones and perform in line with more expensive cartridge ones but w/o being a substantial cost.
    Maybe the inverted look better to some but would that be a deal breaker as soon as they give some nice tuning and good performance?

The KLR gen 2 might work great too. Not sure about the weight though?
  8. PaD

PaD Serial beginner

Oddometer:
    A lot of wheel travel and 21” front wheel will probably result in an increased seat height that I wouldn’t like.
    11motos likes this.
  9. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    With adjustable and longer suspensions it means there is a bit of sag to play with so I don't think it would make a substantial difference. Notice we didn't ask for 300mm of travel.
  10. PaD

PaD Serial beginner

Oddometer:
    You’re probably right.
    I had a Suzuki 650 Freewind in the 90s and I think front wheel travel was 170mm and seat height much the same as a Versys-X 300. 19” wheel.
    11motos likes this.
  11. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    What seat heights does the VX300 come in? I'm pretty sure I had quite a low one on my rental, I see on the net it might have been 32.1 inches (815mm)?

My max comfortable seat height is about 34.5in (875mm - that's a CRF250L), so a 21" front wheel shouldn't be a problem for me.

Edit: I see my other 2 bikes are 850mm and 830mm, they are perfect for me.
  12. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd like to ask how many North American states/provinces have a 400cc insurance break point and a 70+ mph speed limit? I don't see a reason NOT to offer the Versys 400. I need all the power I can get on the freeway.

I would still plan DOT knobbies and would even prefer the 19" front for compactness, and I would still ride single track behind my kids at an enjoyable trail exploring pace, sitting 99% of the time.
  13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually no, about 6lbs from fuel, and another 9lbs from lighter frame, ABS and engine. Since it will be engine/frame carry over to VX, bike would be lighter than current 382-385.
  14. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    The smaller tank on the 310 and mag wheels kinda say keep me on the street plus the single cylinder that won't he nearly as smooth at hwy speeds. It might be good for beginners not ready for the hwy ? Or local a commuter. And the wife's of larger BMW bike owners, learning to ride.
  15. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    I don't think that there is a huge reason to build a versys 400 but new models come out every year anyway and with a ninja in 400 it only makes sense to consolidate.
    The extra bit of power and torque, but specially the torque is more important for dual use, adv than road. I am sure kawa is not going to release a bike that is going to vibrate at highway speed
    and we will have the ninja 400 to see how the engine behaves. I would be surprise if there is a huge difference since the trade-off seems pretty reasonable to me.
    Now the competition will be pushing for matching characteristics. I love how kawasaki pushes for innovation with a light versys and now a reviewed ninja and keeps all the others
    on their toes. Some people might still buy a 250 honda or yamaha TT but I think for a large portion of the potential customer base, those mono 250s are done, unless it is for
    driving around farms and rural areas only. I am not sure how yamaha or honda is going to sell the 300 with the ninja 400 at the advertised prices like in canada.
    This will be a great year to get a 300 I am sure.

With the 300 and if they make a 400 I think there is little point in even considering a KLR. I bet these versys 250-400 will be very popular all over the world and will have
    many years of very good sales. They are already selling like peanuts everywhere.
    It just makes sense for simple daily commute or whatever the adventure. The low cost of ownership will attract many people that is for sure.
    rideforzen likes this.
  16. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    According to interview Euro4 was the driving force behind new engine, and Ninja 250 they showed in Tokyo along with 400 has new engine and frame shared with 400. Since VX 300 got certified for Euro4 I suspect they meant Euro5 which kicks in in 2020. US site lists Ninja 300 2018 model. But they shot official promo with Sykes and Rea in Milwaukee.

So if I am reading this correctly, following will happen:
    1) 400 will arrive as 2019 model, perhaps early after they clear DOT/EPA certification
    2) Versys X will be upgraded to 400 as 2019 or definitely 2020 model for EU
    3) it doesn't make sense for them to keep 2 similar engines/bikes, so we will get piggybacked either at the same time or shortly after.
    MBM and 11motos like this.
  17. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Where did you read it?

BTW the Euro4, Euro5 for 4T motorcycles are a joke. We keep adding coal plants all over the world and put restrictions like these on motorcycles.
    Is like worrying about a drop of water in the ocean. BS lobby / money making laws.
  18. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if the engine mount points are the same between the 300 and the 400 ? Or how much of the frame is shared between the VX and the Ninja if any. Or did I miss that.
  19. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    No they are not, new engine is used as stress member with front and rear subframes attached to it. Not exactly 2 piece like BMW R bikes but they are welded together at top engine mount spot.

I am not an expert on frame building but likely they built subframes separately and then weld it together in final jig. Makes me wonder if frame can be reused for VX without mods, or if needs different rear subframe the same jug could be reused.

Other interesting questions are if mounting points for VX 300 body work are the same and how much change tank/airbox/wiring needs.
  20. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found the VX3 frame

Kawasaki-Ninja-300-vs-250-01.jpg
    2018-Kawasaki-Ninja-400-15.jpg

Attached Files: