Versys-X 400 speculations thread

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by PaD, Oct 26, 2017.

1. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    And that's a pig.
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  2. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Agreed.
    The MT-07 was under 400lbs compared to the CB500F!
    so all in all almost 35lbs lighter.
    47hp vs 75hp.
    Price was not too far away either.
  3. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    47hp is adequate in the right weight of bike - something 20+kg lighter than the Honda would do.
  4. IndigoSwann

IndigoSwann Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think this would make a better candidate for adventurising than the 390 Duke (spoked wheels etc) but they are producing the 390 Adventure and I don't like the side details on the tank with the brand on - they stick out so not show if standing on one on a trail would keep hitting your legs?
  5. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    Kawasaki would be mad not to put this 400 engine into a K4 - an almost perfect RTWer, great service intervals.
  6. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    The X 300 has been very successful.

Odds are Kawi will make some kind of ADV Bike out of her.

The next level up from Japan would be the 689cc T7. She is like 452lbs, but top heavy.

I always thought 35hp was fine on the MIGHTY DR.
    The 400 will have about 5 more horses and still be 30lbs lighter than the KLR.
    Way smoother and much lower COG. In three years, the 400 would establish it self right behind the RGS in North America. Hell, she might surpass the BMW in sales.

I combine RGS and RGSA sales together.
  7. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    It's almost $1K more expensive than the Duke, which is mechanically identical save for the wheels and almost 50% more fuel capacity (9.5 vs 13.5 liters). I'll take the extra gas and tubeless wheels from the Duke.

[​IMG]

But if you are thinking of doing a street to scrambler conversion, maybe the Z400 is a better place to start? :dunno
    [​IMG]

I like that you can easily disable the rear ABS on the Duke, and it is said to be pretty smooth for a single. But that's the thing, it's still a single. Anything that involves longer road rides would probably be nicer on a twin, regardless of how smooth that single is. And that's w/o considering KTM's legendary reliability and maintainability... :augie

Gustavo
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  8. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    The 400 is more refined than the 390.

On two wheels did a great idea.

Please go to the 4.50 mark
  9. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    The ktm 390 has not been that reliable and it is not an inexpensive machine to maintain.
    Kawa has the lead on reliability and tco.
    Yamaha should consider a T4 based on the r3 twin. 399cc , 7 ton8 inches travel front and back and keep it closer.to 170kg than 200kg. 45hp, 47, 50... doesnt matter. Lightness, a bit more torque, simplicity and affordability is more important for those who want a do it all machine or are between budget friendly dual sport and something they can use to commute and higheay trips.
    That is why thumpers and specially 250s are not so appealing. The CRF 450 missed the mark by going Pro Enduro. So a great answer to a No-need.
  10. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:

What if Husky threw in a man bun ? Lol joking !

They tried to reinvent the rack by putting it on the tank instead of the rear. More traditional fenders would help also. Imo And a larger tank. And keep the spokes. Some 3m tape to go tubeless if it was important.

2000000001.jpg