Versys-X 400 speculations thread

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by PaD, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've tracked mine since it came off the showroom floor. 23 km/l. 65mpg(UK). 54mpg(US). 4.35 l/100km

Running 115 - 120kph (71-75mph) it's 25km/l with a tailwind. 21km/l into a headwind.

Without serious enough wind to factor in, it's consistently around 25km/l when you keep it under 100kph. I got 27.1km/l on one tank (250km) while we were riding in the Rockies a couple of weeks ago. Speed was never over 100kph. But the roads were twisty so the right wrist was pretty active. :-)

I can generally manage to get about the same fuel consumption as my riding partners on a 650 Vstrom and a BMW F650GS. A hair less than the long term consumption I had on my F650GS from 2011 to 2017.

Not bad for a 300cc ridden on the same rides and roads and loads as the big boys!

...ken...
    rideforzen likes this.
  2. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    Your wife's VX is lowered by 2.5 inches though. The pegs might not scrape on a factory bike once the feelers are removed..... At least I probably couldn't scrape them.
  3. vt700guy

vt700guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've never scraped mine.
    Wallachian Spikes likes this.
  4. manybike

manybike Omnipresent

Oddometer:
    Took this from the 300 thread. why do you need a 400 if you can do this ? Claims they get 50hp from the 300 Ninja...could this work on the VX, what are the cons ?
  5. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    The vx3 is tuned for more low and mid-range but does share the same cams and whatnot. It was more to show the potential of the 300. I'm sure a good tuner with the right parts , cams and pistons , could get the 300 close to the 50hp. I would rather just have the can and tune for around 40rwhp. I would think the vx300 could get close to that also.
  6. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    Yes. I quite like the way the VX makes its power. If I wanted something that makes power like a Ninja - and that's the sort of power band you're going to get if you're trying to push it to 50 - I would have bought a Ninja. But I don't ride my VX like I would a Ninja and don't want to. I got all that out of my system in my GPz days.

...ken...
  7. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh come on, you still like bouncing the rev limiter in fourth at 75mph. And can't help but like the punch after 10k. Lol
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Or a DynoJet (+$60 vs a ecu flash) and you can fully control the fueling.
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle...v-fuel-ignition-kawasaki-versys-300-2017-2018

Seems from the Dyno the big hp jump is 10-12k rpm anyway. Not a great places to run for a adv/bike but works on the track.

Then add a high flow filter and muffler.
    Something attainable now vs hopping/praying/wishing Kawi might one day offer up another 100cc of motor.

But hey maybe it's easier to dream vs modify what you own...seems to be the ADV way.
    manybike likes this.
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    manybike and rideforzen like this.
  10. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's with a flash and can and k&n filter, I believe.

0001.jpg
  11. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. twaldron

twaldron Dudeman

Oddometer:
    Where is this dyno comparison that shows this dramatic difference in the Ninja 300 and the Vx 300??
  13. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    Busted! :-)

But it doesn't have "punch" after 10K. It just keeps making nice linear useful power up there instead of dropping off well before red line. That's what makes it so amazing and fun to ride up in the stratosphere. I like that the power isn't peaky up there and I also like having at least something useful down lower, too.

I have no desire at all to tinker because the odds are that anywhere I perk up the power will be at the cost of a dip somewhere else in the power band.

...ken...
  14. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not a dramatic difference on the Dyno. Not sure by feel though.
  15. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    You're kidding. Right? Have you ridden a Versys-X 300 in the twisties? It lives to be ridden up there when the road signs have squiggles on them!!

...ken...
  16. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've noticed a better hit up top as I get more miles on. Especially in the lower gears. But I agree it's mostly linear with a slight dip around 7k on mine. I'm happy with the vx300s power delivery also.
    Ken in Regina likes this.
  17. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    And the funny thing is the torque is about perfect on the forest roads. Never hit redline out there. No need.
    Ken in Regina and eakins like this.
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Yes I have, but I'm looking at it from an ADV perspective to add to my fleet. The talk is how it's adv lite and that's good in the dirt.
    No interest in riding at 10k+ rpm on the dirt, just want decent tractable performance.

I have been on plenty of much better street bikes with real suspension to understand cornering potential. The x wallows when pushed. If you can't see or admit that you're blinded by you love of this singular machine.
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    That's what I'm talking about.
  20. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    The VX got 41mm forks compared to the Ninja 300s 37mm. The bike handles great in corners. That's funny there. The Ninja has been a club racer for many years.

When I had my preload backed way off on the rear shock it didn't handle the corners near as well. Some adjustment may have helped.
    eakins likes this.