Vertigo Thread

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Kiharaikido, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Beatprojim

Beatprojim Beatprojim Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have 3 hours on the 2020 Vertigo 250 now. Prior to this I had split the year riding a Montesa 300 and my 19 TRS 280, which I still have. The most unique characteristic of the Vertigo is the light weight feel caused by the gas tank residing where most bikes airboxes are located. I have owned 3 of the "backwards Shercos" (2012-15) where they had the airbox up front and the gas tank in the rear but Sherco designed their tank to mimic the size and shape of its muffler, so it sits higher than the Vertigo's does, and further back. The Vertigo's tank overall is lower (part of it extends below the top of the swing arm), and more forward due to the Fuel injection being shorter than a carb. This results in the very light feel of the bike (without the bike being any lighter than the other 2 strokes out there). I get the sense that going through rocky slow sections it is easier to correct the bike just because the weight mass sits lower.
    The engine is nice. Coming off of my 280 I can tell it is a 250, but surprises me at how it still gets up and over all of my obstacles. Never needed more power. The FI is nice but since I really work on jetting my other bikes, not a big difference there. The FI may help prevent low RPM stalls. I did note on my first ride that the idle ran lower than I like but after the 3 rides, I no longer find that a problem. The bike power is usable down there. Starting has been 3 kicks cold and then first kick when warm after learning the trick (no gas when you start to kick but as your foot nears the bottom of the kicking stroke give it some throttle). All of the components are top notch and what you find on the other top trials bikes so no need to comment there. The bike is very adjustable with 4 positions for the handlebar mounts and three positions for the clutch ring. I was able to lower the rear brake pedal enough to suit me, the same drop on my TRS has the pedal hit the frame. I did buy the GET ignition box and will install soon and can play with the maps. I can tinker for hours. My dealer, Jim Fox from Fox's Trials Barn in PA, has been great and answered my e-mail question with phone calls. Overall, this is a unique bike, with a unique and different feel that I really like.
  2. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update.
  3. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    How much of the weight feel do you think might be the 250 vs the 280? When I put the 250 kit on my Scorpa 300, it felt a good bit lighter. Sally’s 125 feels like it is 20 pounds lighter. The mass centralization they have done is really nice. I am looking forward to trying your bike in a section, the test ride last Sunday was nice but I just had my safety sandals on.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  4. Beatprojim

Oddometer:
    Hard to say. Going down from a 280 is less of a step than you went going from a 300 to a 250. But I guess the clue is also when pushing the bike round with the motor off. Feels lighter there too. We will have to do some testing next time you are over. Perhaps blindfold Sally and push a bike up to her and let her wiggle it around and see if she can tell anything.
  5. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    This sounds like a great thing to do while “rehydrating” in the garage at the end of the day.
    Norman Foley and Super Dirt Dud like this.
  6. Beatprojim

Oddometer:
    I am going to install the GET ECU box today. Probably should also hook up a breathalyzer to the box prevent me from playing with it during one of those rehydration sessions.
  7. Beatprojim

Oddometer:
    OK, I should clarify that the Vertigo comes stock with a programable GET ECU. The box that I bought and installed was the WiFi adapter that connects to the stock GET ECU and allows you to alter the FI stetting from an app on your phone. Early results are mixed. Maybe I was expecting too much? How many people can feel the difference between the "Sun and Rain" settings on their bike? Not many is my guess and after and hour or so of playing it is hard for me to tell much difference. But I do have a couple of different maps saved and will have fun with people doing test rides and guessing which map is which.
  8. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    I can’t tell the difference between the sun and rain settings.

My buddy had a Yamaha WR250F with the special programmer. We spent an afternoon on my backyard track trying different maps, we could definitely tell a difference.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  9. Super Dirt Dud

Super Dirt Dud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ordered a new 2021 Vertigo 200 and have been running 110 Vp gas cut with 93 octane in my other bikes . I have never had a fuel injected bike so will the fuel be ok if I use it as I have been ? Jim Fox runs 93 octane at 130 to 1 pump fuel so if that is the case with the savings I get maybe my 2nd bike should be a Vertigo also ?
    Or maybe I will get the new Vertigo outfit ?
    Norman Foley likes this.
  10. syspig

syspig Dog Scratcher

Oddometer:
    I can't tell much difference on the Vertical Works 200 rain/sun mode. There's definitely a different sound - throatier on the air intake, so you can tell it's doing something. However, it doesn't translate into anything I really notice on the pegs. Perhaps custom maps might present something more obvious.

On the R2 250 - there's a very obvious difference between rain/sun. Not so much in power, but when/how it comes on. It's far smoother on rain, and at my current skill level - that's where I always leave it.

Also, for those considering the Wifi/Bluetooth programmer - it serves a purpose beyond programming. Short of going back to your dealer who may have the factory diagnostic software, it's the only way to reset your TPS. It also pulls the true engine hours from the ECU.
    Norman Foley and Beatprojim like this.
  11. Beatprojim

Oddometer:
    I think the type of gas you are using should be fine. The key is to stay at 130:1. I am told the injectors don't like the thicker mixes like 80:1.
    Norman Foley, North ride and syspig like this.
  12. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Karl Davis gave me a tour of his smartphone programming app and went into detail on how it all works and how he can save various maps.......then said he hasn’t touched a thing as he loves how it runs the way he got it!
  13. Beatprojim

Oddometer:
    You are hired as head programmer!
    Huzband, Yinzer Moto and Norman Foley like this.
  14. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    You guys should line up Karl for a clinic next year. He can do a little programing seminar. He was saying in his Trials Australia interview, how with the GET program he always a perfectly tuned bike for where he's riding..... and he's been riding in a lot of different parts of the country since his switch to Vertigo!
    Beatprojim, Huzband and Yinzer Moto like this.
  15. North ride

North ride Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do they specify a certain type of 2t oil ?
    2whlrcr and Norman Foley like this.
  16. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    I think Danny would be a better programmer. You need to just hire him as a heavy object mover and Vertigo programmer.
    Beatprojim likes this.
  17. syspig

syspig Dog Scratcher

Oddometer:
    "GRO Performance 2t" is mentioned in the owners manual.

Vertigo has a partnership/sponsership with GRO - Global Racing Oils. I've no idea of the details, but the stickers are prominently displayed on the new bikes. It has a reputation as a quality 2t synthetic and I'm sure it's perfectly adequate. It's recently become available in the US from the Vertigo importer, and I'm sure I won't be the only Vertigo dealer stocking it along with the GRO gearcase oil.

Still, I've been using nothing but Motul 710 in my Vertigos since new, primarily because I bought it in bulk to use in my Xtrainer. It's working fine, as is Amsoil which a friend uses in his Vertigo - and we swap fuel back and forth routinely. 1oz/gallon puts it at 128:1, close enough to the 130:1 spec for us.
    jonnyc21, Beatprojim and North ride like this.
  18. North ride

North ride Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was curious because 100:1 seems pretty common mix for trials. 130:1 sounds lean so thought maybe some fancy oil. But the manufacturers have a interest in the bikes not failing and if they run 130:1 in Scotland for a week each year flogging bikes on the moors and roads that would be a good enough test for me. I have a interest in the Vertigo I'm a bit of a sucker for trick bikes. :raabia
  19. Beatprojim

Oddometer:
    Just mixed up my first batch of GRO at 128:1. It is RED. I love colored oils because it confirms I didn't forget to mix some in! BTW, I am really having fun with this Vertigo. I am constantly noticing how "flickable" it feels. I did do my bathroom scale weighing test. The Vertigo is 76.5 lbs front, 82 rear = 158.5. Gas was almost full, front fork guards and GET wifi installed. My 19 280 TRS with almost full tank with fork guards was 79/79 = 158 pounds. A 2017 Beta Evo 300 with fork guards and engine and pipe guards, was 83 front, 81.5 back for 164.5.
    GTC, Yinzer Moto, jonnyc21 and 2 others like this.
  20. syspig

syspig Dog Scratcher

Oddometer:
    It's certainly subjective, but for me - that's my favorite trait of all of the Vertigos I've ridden. It's a very common response from those I've had demo the bikes as well.

Especially when it comes to lofting the front end, no other trials bike has given me the same level of confidence when it comes to putting the front wheel back down, exactly where I want it.

Well...most of the time. More so than anything else I've ridden, anyway. :D
    jonnyc21, Beatprojim and Norman Foley like this.