Very Loud Starter Noise

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by BigDogAdventures, Apr 27, 2005.

1. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    I don't think this has been talked about in this forum-----but my bike since new starts just fine hot or cold--if you don't touch the throttle. If you do it makes an extremely loud banging noise as if you were hitting the side cases with a ball peen hammer---really unnerving.
    So you might say--well, just don't touch the throttle !! Well that's fine unless I tip over and flood it--then you have to hold some throttle to let it clean out the flooded carbs---man it sounds like the rods are coming thru the cases---you can hear it a block away.
    I know there is a throttle postion sensor that advances the timing when you pull the throttle--maybe it is way out of adjustment--I don't know ???
    I've tried to make my buddies do it--and his was just fine--you couldn't make his do it.
    I did talk to my mechanic at the KTM shop on the phone and he has heard some of them do that--not sure if he's up on it or not--but he did mention the throttle position sensor and wants me to bring it in. I was hoping someone here would have some advice and I could take care of it when I adjust the valves very soon.

I would appreciate any advice.
  2. RED BEARD

RED BEARD Adventurer in training

Oddometer:
    That happened to me just the other day only once though. Down right embarassing on a new bike!
  3. JediBri

JediBri Glory to GOD

Oddometer:
    Weird... Can't say I've ever experienced this, and I always blip the throttle when starting a hot motor to avoid cam chain chain chatter.

Brian
  4. 1stiski

1stiski Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer:
    I do the same, seems to start up without any issues, although, ive had that slap noise come from the bike before, only when it stalls, but only once and awhile, not always, go figure? Sounds like something, (mabe the cam chain is slapping around in there since hydraulic tension isn't being applied.) don't know , don't care, I'm gona abuse the bike anyway.
  5. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    Mine does it on a regular bases; I thought it was just part of the animal and I learned to keep my hand of the throttle during start up.

Let us know what you find out from your dealer.
  6. K2m

K2m ....58....

Oddometer:
    The throttle postion sensor does not advanse the timing. The RPM range does that......

The throttle postion sensor retards the timing under load.

Hope this helps :thumb
  7. K2m

K2m ....58....

Oddometer:
    This is a very good point.

Being a dry sump system.

It is important to make sure that your oil filter cover is tight. also the lines from the oil tank........ make sure every thing is sealed..... no damaged o-rings. (one of mine was, from the KTM factory, best to get OEM little green things, stuff I got from bearing shop did'nt seal)

Do an oil change, pull the thing apart. chech everything. Any leaks will cause a partial loss of oil presure causing thoes conditions mentioned above.

Everyone is vunerable to this. A simple thing like this left unchecked can destroy this motor
  8. sashapave

sashapave riders on the strom Supporter

Oddometer:
    dammit, mine started making the same noise, and it is certainly not a nice noise.

it sometimes does it without throttle also.

sounds like the starter motor gear is slipping.

time for a warranty checkup i think.

-sasha
  9. 2wheelr

2wheelr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. Fishboy

Fishboy n00b

Oddometer:
    I have 200 miles on mine and it makes the nasty stater noise about 1/2 the time regardless of throttle position. Waiting for the 600 mile service as my dealer just says "huh"? The noise really sounds bad... Anyone gotten past this yet?
  11. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    Mine also does it when I kill the motor w/ the key or the kill switch. The ignition rotor/freewheel spins on a oneway bearing, so I was thinking it could be the rotor smacking back on this oneway bearing; Although I dont know why some bikes would do this and others dont.
  12. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Yogoi--- that noise is normal--------they all kind of make a slap noise when you shut them off---I've had other bikes do that as well-----the noise I'm talking about is a noise that happens when you are starting the bike. A lot of bikes with wet clutch's and one way starter clutch's do this. BMW's don't have this mechanism---there starters work like a car starter.
  13. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    Interesting, becouse it is the same noise wether I am starting the bike or killing it. When starting, if I touch the gas it will make the smack noise. At the same time giving it gas is like I am killing the motor. Does that make sense? Is this diferent than yours
  14. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
    Oh boy...here we go with another common issue:

Mine was making the same noise. The noise IS the starter clutch slipping/chattering. Mine was so bad the bike would barely start anymore.

I got a new starter clutch/gear/flywheel assembly under warrante, and it still makes the noise, and maybe even worse than before.

So...I don't think is the actuall clutch mechanism that is causing the problem. I think it may be further up the cause/effect chain.

I am beginning to suspect fauly battery/charging system. Consider:

- Low charge on the battery/low load capacity. Perhaps the starter is not spinning the gear up fast enough to really engage the cluth leading to voltage fluctuations and then chatter?

Dunno...but it was a show stopper this weekend on a 5 day trip. I had to come back home after day one....Arrgghhhhhh...
  15. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Yes----when I open the throttle any at all it makes the really loud noise---almost as if it the timing went way advanced and is trying to turn the motor backwards. It is loud.
  16. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    Sooo, we are talking about the same problem/noise?

Your comment ''almost as if it the timing went way advanced and is trying to turn the motor backwards. It is loud." really makes me suspect the noise is the freewheel slamming back against that oneway bearing.
  17. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:

I think it has nothing to do with the trottle per se, only whether or not the bike actually fires.

Mine makes the noise with the throttle closed, somewhat open, or if I blip it a little when trying to start it....So I think it has more to do with if the bike fires up or not.

I suspect my idle jet is a little rich, so my bike was having difficulty starting when warm....The only time the starter would not make the noise is when I held the throttle wide open to fire it up...and when it fired right away.

I'm goign to try boosting the bike with my 525 battery to see if the noise is still there with a good charge...

Could someone else try the same?
  18. sashapave

sashapave riders on the strom Supporter

Oddometer:
    hmm, now i'm not so sure if i'm bringing it in for warranty until they figure out what this problem is. i don't want my bike to sit there waiting (it's my only transportation at the moment)

it's such a loud noise that i'm surprised ktm hasn't figure it out yet. especially since its so common.

i'm equally surprised that not all the bikes suffer this noise.

i'm still in the same boat. the bike will make the noise if any throttle is given during startup. sometimes if i'm using the choke without throttle. not so much when it's cold, more often when it's warm.

-s
  19. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:

Yes - it is indeed the stater clutch one-way bearing chattering against the freewheel.

The question is, what is making it chatter? It is not the clutch itself, since mine was just replaced, and it still does it....

We can eliminate throttle position, since mine and others do it without the throttle....

I'm still leaning toward weak/faulty charge not giving the starter enough juice to really engage the clutch into the freewheel...Later today I'll test this hypothesis..
  20. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    I found this on the F650.com forum

One of the replies supports the low battery hypothesis....I'm going to head outside now and check it out with my 525 battery....