Ves ATW

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Veselko, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Veselko

Veselko Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    In La Esperenza for a couple nights at least. Prices are pretty high in Honduras so far. In Mexico and Guatemala we're used to getting nice places from $11-25/night. Here, not so much. Some of the hotels are $50 and up. Found a nice inexpensive place; Hostel Mitos.

The roads are pretty nice, curve after curve, beautiful scenery and less topos, but they still have them! There's still some major pothole dodging that needs to be done, but mostly really nice concrete and asphalt roads. And everywhere you look, mountains, hills and huge vistas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of three dogs at the hostel...

[​IMG]

Tomorrow we'll take a wander around town and see what there is to see.
  2. Veselko

Oddometer:
    Stuck in Honduras
    by Ves Sladin

Stuck in Honduras with my honey
    The virus's got people thinking funny
    Stock markets dropping
    Shelves in stores need restocking

Is it real, or imagination
    Panic across the nations
    Survivalists are feeling good
    About their stored amo and food

The naysayers said it was coming
    I can't believe, is it true
    Well, I'm glad I'm in Honduras
    Stuck here with you

:crash

Actually, the shelves in the stores here are full of toilet paper... there's plenty of food... no long lines in grocery stores... but back in the US shelves are going empty... And my daughter back in IL said that the checkout lines were down the isles. What does that say? Look, they're delivering more! :lol3

[​IMG]

Anyway, guess we'll hole up here for a few days maybe two weeks. There's conflicting reports about how long the borders are closed... Could be in a worse place, that's for sure...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SOLOKLR and DavidM1 like this.
  3. Veselko

Oddometer:
    Well, yesterday thought we'd go North a bit and see a lake and waterfall about an hour away. Scratch that. The roads are just ridiculous. Basically dirt with embedded relatively sharp rocks. Bone jarring.

Today, thought we'd go to a different waterfall about 11 miles Southeast, down a much nicer road. Roadblock about a mile out of town, but they let us through, another one about 10.5 miles into it... no go.
    [​IMG]

So, not only is the border closed, but all the towns are being kept isolated. And 3:00 curfew; if you're in the streets after, you risk arrest. We had been toying with the idea of going South (because you can't pass through Tegucigalapa), getting closer to the border of Nicaragua, but clearly that's not going to happen. And Costa Rica border is closed until further notice, so where we going to go?

Well, at least it was a nice little ride through the rolling hills and rock formations.

[​IMG]

So, back to the homestead, to lay around the pool and play with the flea-bitten dogs...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Honey.. the water level looks a little low, don't you think? It's a mental thing I guess...
    Drybones likes this.
  4. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    There's even a "beach" of sorts a few feet away. :D
  5. Veselko

Oddometer:
    Good observation! :wings
  6. Veselko

Oddometer:
    Still here... been doing a little exploring of the area, at least as much as roadblocks let us... walking the town (Neo. You've been down that street. You know where it leads...)

Drove up into the hills... found a road that wasn't totally bone jarring...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is one of two "lakes" near La Esperanza / Itibuca. More like big ponds. Lots of agriculture.
    [​IMG]

It's Sunday, and there's a lockdown, was a 3:00 curfew, but now they moved it to 8:00 pm, so the streets are pretty empty. Some people out, a few farmers selling their food products. We have been down every street we care to go down. The main town is mostly paved streets, but much of it is dust and gravel.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back at the homestead. This guy is about 3 months old... got some big paws on him, going to be a big one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, been here since ... I don't know, I'd have to go figure it out... and staying until... well, not sure... reserved the hostel until the 26th, but even if Honduras frees things up at that point (they've got a limited amount of cases in a couple big cities), we can probably go into Nicaragua, but then we'll be stuck there because Costa Rica borders are closed until at least April 12th, at least... we could be here for weeks longer.

My daughter says she read about a lot of US citizens flying back to the US. We'll stay here. So, far there's no cases near these towns... it's not like I'm on vacation and need to get back to the US for some reason. The short term goal was Panama to Colombia first week of May. Looks highly unlikely at this point... The plan's a changing!

Been thinking a lot about this situation. Trump is coming up with a 1+ Trillion aid package in the form of handing out money and loans to people and businesses. Stock market has lost nearly 40% of it's value. Everything is at some degree of lockdown. People are home, kids are out of school. Is it really going to do any good? One thing for sure, this treadmill the world is on... more more faster faster growth growth and profits at the expense of social benefit... it's all come to a screeching halt. Now we see what's really important, what do we really need to live? The big question in my mind is, where is this 1 Trillion dollars coming from? Well, the federal reserve is printing it up (because they dropped interest rates to 0), so basically, money is free to the government. But if we inject 1 Trillion dollars into the money supply won't that decrease the value of money? I guess if we were on the gold standard then it would, but we're not, so apparently no harm done? Which raises the question, why are there not more bailouts? Bailout for all the students buried under student debt? And how about the people who can't afford to live in their homes because they can't make ends meet? And what about those on the poverty line, who keep trying but can't get above it? All those who have huge medical bills? And where do you draw the line in letting people suffer the consequences of their decisions vs. things that are out of their control?

The other big question is, why is it that the young aren't dying of this virus, only those with preexisting health issues... like diabetes, heart disease... Yeah, they're body is already compromised, so it can't handle the virus. Fact is that these are preventable diseases... they are brought about by diet and lifestyle... and the longer someone indulges in that damaging lifestyle, the less capable their body is of dealing with an invasion by a virus. Kids aren't dying because their immune systems are not damaged yet. The question is, what's the root cause here? If everyone was more healthy, there would be a lot less people dying. Where does the blame lay for that, with the individual and their choice of lifestyle, or with the farmers who farm with chemicals and pesticides and herbicides, and all the people dumping garbage into the air and ocean? How about all the companies that use sugar in just about every product you buy, from bread to pasta sauce... And who push their products through manipulative advertisement? I think this is a huge wakeup call. The question is, are people going to wake up, or will things just continue the way they are once this virus is gone? Cause you know the next one is coming, and it's bound to be worse. Are we going to change our lifestyles and be ready for it, or are we just going to keep dying, and what drastic actions will be required next time?

I did just read that a flu drug Japan developed back in 2014, which is in clinical trials, is being used in China to help people recover, and it works. If that's the case, I would think they will make it widely available, but how long will that take?
    Drybones, roadcapDen and staticPort like this.
  7. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent points! Hopefully this will serve at a wake up call and we will all examine our lives and change our ways. "O yet we hope that good will fall, at last, far off, at last to all" the poet wrote. And indeed we hope!
    Veselko likes this.
  8. Veselko

Oddometer:
    According to Dr. Seuss, and his book, Oh The Places You'll Go...

And then things start to happen,
    don't worry. Don't stew.
    Just go right along.
    You'll start happening too.

headed, I fear, toward a most useless place.
    The Waiting Place...

...for people just waiting.
    Waiting for a train to go
    or a bus to come, or a plane to go
    or the mail to come, or the rain to go
    or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow
    or the waiting around for a Yes or No
    or waiting for their hair to grow.
    Everyone is just waiting.

Well, there's definitely not going to be any snow, and Honduras hasn't seen any decent rain in like four months. Had some in the night a few nights ago, but hardly a sign in the morning. It's definitely a waiting game at this point. Two weeks so far and this Intibuca area still doesn't have any virus cases, though the Honduras count is at about 95, and one 60-year-old dead.

Waiting for the news to tell me something good, but at this point border closures are like this, at least:
    Costa Rica - April 12th
    Bolivia - April 15th
    Panama - Until further notice
    Colombia - May 30th (so forget that May 5th crossing from Panama to Colombia on the Stahlrette... going to need a plan B unless they shift their schedule drastically)
    Nicaragua - None (None?... that's right! Soon as we can travel that's where we're heading, they only have 4 cases)
    Ecuador - Until further notice
    Peru - March 30th
    Chile - June 19th (Yikes... but if that schedule holds it wouldn't be bad)
    Argentina - March 31st

Also waiting for a new cell phone chip from Sprint. I currently have T-mobile, in fact I got them because they have a good 55+ plan that includes international service... BUT I didn't read the fine print! If they see months of usage outside the US that's a NO NO! So, they're going to cut off my service next month. Sprint is less expensive and I can roam as long as I want... So, stick it T-mo (Yes, they recently merged with Sprint)... But Sprint only ships chips to US, so had to have it forwarded. Good thing is that cargo still seems to be flowing, so should have it in a few days. If that doesn't work out, it will be plan C... transfer my number to a throwaway phone and just get local phones as I travel.... First world problem! But F'n T-mo, you'd think they're making enough frikin money, that they don't have to worry about one guy roaming the world. I barely frikin use it anyway. OMG they're going to go broke on me!... ok ok... enough bitching...

What are we doing with out time? Cooking meals, laying in the sun, going to town for food so we can cook meals and just so we can walk around a bit, yoga... and Waiting...

[​IMG]

Well, and still smelling the flowers along the way...
    [​IMG]
    roadcapDen and SOLOKLR like this.
  9. Veselko

Oddometer:
    Well, three and a half weeks in Intibuca Honduras. So far 312 cases and 23 deaths total in Honduras. This area still has no virus, though all the surrounding departments/states do. Not sure if that's good or bad. Good if they do actually prevent the spread, bad if that just means it's going to hit late and then we're here for another x number of weeks. I really wonder if that's all we're doing, delaying the inevitable, because if there's one person that still has it, they will spread it, and then what, start all over again? Guess it will be interesting to see how China does now that they lifted the quarantine off Wuhan.... I mean, we can't possible all be quarantined until there are no new cases and everyone has recovered, can we?... That would be crazy.

As it stands, the current restrictions are supposed to be lifted in 4 days, on April 12th.... And so it came to pass that humanity went into the tomb to rise again... fits in with the Easter narrative! I can dream... my guess is that they will extend it. But as of today:

Costa Rica - April 12th
    Bolivia - April 15th
    Panama - Until further notice (Still!)
    Colombia - May 30th. I've seen April 12th but don't believe it.
    Nicaragua - None
    Ecuador - Until further notice
    Peru - April 12th
    Chile - June 19th
    Argentina - April 12th

So, we wait...

It's interesting to follow the news... all the conspiracy theories out there about what's causing this. I don't know if it's a fact that it started in a lab in China, but that does sound like the most reasonable explanation. Maybe it was that meat market, but I'm guessing that's just where it first spread once it got out. Then there's the 5G theory, that they're starting to implement 5G technology, and China was one of those places, as well as Italy, and so it's the microwave radiation from that that's killing people... Right... and how exactly is it spreading from person to person, in countries where there is no 5G then? Well, in those countries it's a different cause... Riiiiight... How about we just accept, it's a virus, and if you're weak in any way, you're odds of surviving are low.

The other interesting thing is this Corona test that they are using, which doesn't actually look for the Corona virus, but markers that are assumed to be part of the Corona genetic structure, but it seems to be pretty common knowledge that it has a very high level of false positives, yet it's all we have so that's what we use... so we rally don't know how many people are infected.

Also interesting how they are treating it. Basically looks like the body's immune system goes into overdrive, because this bugger is difficult to kill, and so you end up with an "autoimmune" situation where the body produces so much byproduct from fighting it, and attacks healthy cells, that it renders the lungs useless, the organs start shutting down due to oxygen deprivation, and it kills you. Apparently there's been some success treating with IL-6 (an immune suppressant) and steroids in combination. Also seems that China used Vitamin C intravenously, and that helped (Why? Well, on the macro scale, the virus is yang, and vitamin C is very yin... the whole yin yang balance thing)... but you're not going to get Western medicine doctors to do that in the ICU.

Another one of the dogs that hangs around the hostel we're staying at. There's a certain sadness in the eyes, though not as bad as some of the dogs I see roaming the streets, like one I saw a few days ago; laying on the sidewalk, barely lifted it's head as we walked by, our glances met, all I could see was sadness. We kept walking and it started following us, but at a distance. Guess it's been kicked one too many times and chased away to take a chance on getting too close. Saw him approach another dog that had it's tail between it's legs. You could see the slightest bit of excitement in the greeting, but mostly just sharing the pain.

Some random photos...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the happier dogs...
    [​IMG]

Doing a lot of this... siting... and waiting...
    [​IMG]

the grass cutting crew was out working by that lake...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Drybones likes this.
  10. Veselko

Oddometer:
    Geeees... Here we are, the 18th of April... and here we still are... Honduras keeps pushing the social distancing further. They have rearranged it a bit; all days of the week are open, based on the last digit of your ID number. Saturday and Sunday no one is supposed to be out. The last date set was that it would end tomorrow... dangling that carrot in front us... only to snatch it away last minute... Hedging our bets and took a walk to the police station yesterday to see if there was any way we could continue to travel. They gave us the email and number to the Federal Police; we need to get permission from them. The email I sent came back saying that their inbox was full... :doh Come Monday I'll have our host try the phone number and see if he can help us.

Still no virus here in Intibuca, so we got that going for us, but Honduras overall is up past 400+ confirmed cases and something like 30+ deaths. Nicaragua is still open! Reports are that they are not dealing with the virus and that the're not reporting what's really going on. The government says they have one death. The US is supporting groups trying to undermine the government, who knows what the truth is.

Figure we'll do what we can, but what happens happens. It's not out of the realm of possibility that we could be here weeks longer. I started taking an online class in AI. Clearly that's the next step here, we'll have robots take over the world, so I should know how they work, and how to confuse them. But still hard to get motivated!
    Honey is writing a book she's been considering for quite a while. We play chess occasionally and we're also getting really good at throwing a Frisbee around the yard! So, yeah...

Tip: I started reading a book called Real-Help. It's kind of like a self help book, but better. One of my favorite sections: "Stop Taking Shit Personally - ... People have no choice but to behave the way they do [they are incentivised to behave that way]. Don't take it to heart. Use Robert Greene's rule for dealing with people, and treat fools around you as a normal part of life, like rocks or furniture."

I see that as very appropriate advice given all the doom and gloom and the sky is falling and conspiracy theories flying around.
    roadcapDen likes this.
  11. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    Nicaragua is in the denial club along with Turkmenistan and Belarus and probably a few others.
    Interesting article at foreignpolicy.com

Of the riders in lock-down around the world, it looks like Ohio Dan might be getting the best place soon, near the beach in Brazil - but the president there is almost as crazy as the Nicaraguan one.
    I'm sorry you're in such a difficult position. I hope you stay safe.
  12. Veselko

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Yeah, I saw that article. If it's true that Nicaragua is in denial, that would suck even more, because then it's a high risk zone to enter, or once they get out of denial they could lock things down and we'd be suck there for who knows how long. Not to mention Costa Rica could keep their border closed longer because of them. There's only one good scenario here, that they really have few cases... Guess we'll keep an eye on it, if it's really bad there then just stay here in Honduras, which could be through spring! :becca
  13. Veselko

Oddometer:
    Called it. Restrictions and social distancing rules are now extended until April 26th.

Sent an email to the US Embassy asking if they could provide a letter to allow us to travel across Honduras into Nicaragua. They said permission was needed from the Federal Police. We went into town, to the local police and they gave us an email and phone number to contact the Federales. So, sent an email and got a response that their inbox was full. Had our host call the number that was given, but it's busy. Went back into town today to ask if there's any other way to contact them, but apparently not. Also asked if there was any way that I could get my package from Fed Ex in Tegucigalpa... the Fed Ex that contains my new SIM chip, for my phone service, that's going to get cut off on the 23rd, because I'm roaming too much. That was a bust too, but they did send us to a medical clinic to find the Mayor. I'm thinking, do I have this translation right?

The police officer points us down the block, we go down the block. There's a few guys behind a locked gate, I ask if the Mayor is here? They point us back in the other direction, then around the block. We get to the other side, there's a couple guys standing by a gate, they point us back to the police station. On the way there we pass though the square and there's some more people there, so we ask again, where can we find the Mayor? They point us in a different direction and say that he's at the medical clinic. We go down a bock, there's a medical clinic, we walk in, ask the lady if the Mayor is there. She basically points us down the bock to the other medical clinic. We're about to leave, but I have to ask... Why is the Mayor at a medical clinic? He's a doctor... Oh... We get there. Is the Mayor in? Yes, do you need a consultation? No we just need to talk to him... Oh, no, sorry, he's too busy... On the way back to the police station there's guy sweeping the square, asks where we're from, why we need to talk to the Mayor (honestly I don't know, guess he can over rule the rules), tell him we need permission to travel to Nicaragua, he points us to the police station. We go back, tell them the Mayor is busy, they shrug... We ask is there any way we can get the package from Fed Ex, maybe a police officer is traveling there? He says no, but points us to more phone numbers for the Federal Police... Oh, and no, you can't call those numbers about permission to travel, they have nothing to do with it...

Did this just happen? It was a routine worthy of Abbot and Costello. And how did the sweeper guy know we're looking for the Mayor?

I think we'll be here until at least 4/26/2020, cause that's the next date the president set. But it was a nice day to go walk around ... time to go throw the Frizbee around before dinner.

Random pics

Home made veggie burgers... yum...
    [​IMG]

Yeah, there are worse places to be stuck... but there is a gate with bars... We figured out that no one is really checking to see if you're out on your assigned day or not. Honor system... and we're dishonorable... so getting a little more free time... but how many times can you walk the same dusty streets?
    [​IMG]

three dogs...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Random city street... the not dusty section... took a shopping bag with, to use as cover, in case anyone asks why we're out and about...
    [​IMG]

Sunset from the back yard...
    [​IMG]
    roadcapDen and Drybones like this.
  14. Veselko

Oddometer:
    Yup, extended the lockdown until 4/26/2020. And cases are still going up, slowly, so I don't see this place opening up on the 27th.

Finally got a hold of the Federal Police, asked them to allow us to travel to the border. They didn't say no! Asked for more information and an exact route, so keeping the fingers crossed that they will give us permission. Basically we're going from a zone with no infections, to a zone with no infections, before we exit Honduras. So, hopefully that's in our favor.

Only problem now is that it looks like Nicaragua has started rejecting their own people at the border, those trying to come back in; land crossing and two foreign flights. Can't blame them! But officially the border is still open. So, the request to the police is they let us try, if not then we stay in the closest city to the border (Choluteca) and wait it out. Get a change of scenery at least!

There is a chance that Nicaragua will also lock things down after we enter, so what else is new? We'll be one border closer. The worst part of all this is that we've spent so much time in the country, without really being able to see most of it. We could just wait until everything opens up and travel around some, before crossing into Nicaragua, but who knows when that would be. We were open to the possibility that we may have to stay somewhere for an extended time if timing to Argentina didn't work out, but at this point it's still possible to make it before winter.

Took a ride out today, as far as I could go. Thought I'd try a side road, maybe those were not blocked off... it was. But it felt SO good just to be riding.

[​IMG]
    SOLOKLR and roadcapDen like this.
  15. Veselko

Oddometer:
    Day 61 in Honduras. Time flies when every day is the same. I keep saying it's like Groundhogs day. But just like Billy Murry took advantage of each day, so are we. I'm completely ambidextrous now in throwing a Frisbee, so got that going for me!... Continuing to perfect the art of making stovetop bread. I'm continuing to use Duolingo to improve my Spanish and honey is working on Spanish and Russian. Honey is writing her book and I'm also doing some scribbling on matters of life and health. Also took this opportunity in the stock market drop to buy into a few things, like some energy funds (hot tip, energy is way undervalued... yeah oil prices are way down, but it's just a matter of time before they come back up). Fear makes people do stupid things with their investments. Like what, the world will never need energy again?

Yeah, so not going anywhere yet. The latest lockdown deadline is supposed to expire in two days. Keeping our fingers crossed. The possibility is that they reopen the economy in all or most of the country, but still restrict travel. Actually in the last week they're had a rise in the rate of infection, and here in Intibuca there are now 11 cases and one death. They did publish guidelines (basically look like CDC recommendations; that little organization has way too much say in what's going on in the world right now) for all industries, schools, etc.. on how to reopen. Then there's Nicaragua, which stopped giving credible updates on the extent of the COVID-19 problem. Word has it that there are guys in what jump suits, going around in trucks, that pick up dead bodies and bury them ASAP. But technically the country is still open because that's how the president wants it. I'm still trying to get a hold of Nicaragua immigration to see if we can get an advanced approval to enter, which the Honduras police want before they let us travel there. Nothing so far. A friend of our host was traveling from Chile and got stuck in Nicaragua, he says it's a mess and he's trying to get out.. great... The other problem is that Costa Rica's latest date is June 15, Panama is an unknown, and Colombia looks like May 30th. So who knows.

Why am I not afraid of going to a country where they are picking up dead bodies in the streets? Because all the data so far says that it's the sick who are dying... meaning diabetics, old people, obese people, people with coronary heart disease, smokers... bummer, but since I'm none of these, my odds seem to be pretty good even if I catch it.

Host brought his horse over, guess to keep the grass trimmed during rainy season. It's raining just about every day now, mostly afternoon and evening.
    [​IMG]

These flowers are springing up all over the yard.
    [​IMG]

The place is a veritable arboretum.

This is an interesting pic. He got part of an old tree, buried it in the garden and then hung paint cans with plants in them... did another one since I took this pic too.
    [​IMG]
    The guy doesn't seem to have a job. His parents have a house up in the mountains, and he takes care of this place and lives here. There is not work home life balance, it all just kind of blends together and he just takes on project that seem like they need doing. Him and his friends hand around at random times, talking, eating, laughing, playing cards. He's also got a couple motorcycles, a street bike and an enduro that he races. Nice.

This is right next to where the outside furniture is and we eat some of our meals. Every now and then humming birds come along and keep us entertained.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is an interesting shot. Notice that the tree is basically growing through the roof. Just around the side there is another one that's right through the roof over the patio area. It's an old tree, maybe two foot diameter trunk. In the US people would probably chop that down, here they just work around it... in balance with nature.
    [​IMG]
    Notice the bicycle in the corner of the above pic. It's actually stationary and the rear tire drives the electric end of what looks like a pump.

And last but not least, the latest batch of bread. One of the few things I'll miss when we're back out on the road, because we don't always have time or facilities to make it.

[​IMG]
    windplay, SOLOKLR and staticPort like this.
  16. Veselko

Oddometer:
    Day seventysomething...

First we have the Honduran folk dancers. They showed up in the front yard of the Hostel making all sorts of noise on a loudspeaker and dancing during siesta time. And there's always time for siesta, given that the lock-down is still in force in Honduras.

They were doing some kind of live broadcast talking about the fact that they have a group that goes around and performs. They came to the hostel for the veritable arboretum.

Yup, rainy season is in full swing! Most days have some rain... some more than others!

And it's not like this is the result of days of rain, it's just a couple hours in the afternoon.

But, when it's not raining... This is a view of the back yard. I'm up on a raised stage about 8 ft off the ground. The caretakers father was in a band and cut some records, so guess they would do concerts here for the neighbors.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Occasionally we walk the town to keep from going stir crazy. Today we found the tourist district... ya, it's a little empty... but there's a shrine carved right out of the cliff... even the stairs are carved out, and clearly have been walked a few times, as they are staring to round and wear. The rock stairs go all the way to the "roof" where we also found a little hike to explore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back in town at the square, there is a tree with a five foot trunk, says the tree you plant today will be air for your kids tomorrow. Nice. I don't know how tall this thing was, I couldn't get it all into the shot.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Not sure what the gate around the tree is all about. Guess the Hondurans guard their trees like their houses, with gates!...

And apparently, something in the square is one of the 30 marvels of Honduras. I didn't know Honduras had marvels...
    [​IMG]

Lots of shady looking characters walking around in masks...
    [​IMG]

Man, if you would have told me I'd be here for near three months I would have said you're crazy... but the latest lock-down expires 5/31/2020, and people are still dying... I think Honduras is up to about 180... Which isn't much. But they've multiple days of 200+ increase in confirmed cases (whatever that means), so it's actually accelerating. In my mind, that's to be expected. These are poor people, you can't lock them up, take away the little business that they do, and expect them to survive, unless you're going to bring everyone essentials to their front door, so no one goes out. Even we go to the market once or twice a week to get food. The good news is that we see more of the businesses are open, so hopefully people are going to get back on track. The government also formed a board that will make recommendations regarding reopening, and looks like some flights are being allowed in and out of the country. But I'm still guessing we'll be here until mid June.

We're trying to stay busy, reading, researching, walking when we can. Actually we shouldn't be out, circulation in the streets is by last digit of your ID, and each digit gets one day over a period of two weeks. But we each have two passports, so... but guessing by the traffic in the downtown streets, there's plenty of people not adhering to their designated day... Like I said, it's unrealistic. Just open the streets, let the people who are going to get sick, get sick, and get it over with. New Zealand proved that you can stop it if you act early enough and are clear about the plan, but here, and most counties, didn't do that good a job.

My latest research project is aquaponics (not to be confused with fun with phonics)... how to grow veggies and fish (symbiotically) in a limited amount of space.... like thousands of pounds of fish and veggies per year in as little as 1/8 acre, grow it way faster and with way less work and resources than you can in dirt. Apparently it is the future; aquaponics, hydraponics. Like one guy says, it's using technology and your brain to farm at the next level. If you haven't looked into it, look up "vertical farms" for example. There's people using entire abandoned warehouses filled to the roof with growbeds. The oceans are overfished, there's less and less land, what farmland there is, is in shit shape (dead soil)..., food transportation costs are too high to go from farm to city, many places have limited amounts of water, and this approach solves all the problems.

It's interesting, that never in my life have I had this much free time to just pursue threads of interest. Think about it, we're always working at work, working at home, rushing to go on vacation, rushing back home from vacation, and when we're traveling, even long term like this, we're working on going and deciding where we're going to go. I wonder how much better off society would be if people were just allowed to sit and think and tinker? Where's all that free time that the computer revolution was supposed to bring, because everything was going to be so much more efficient... we were suppose to be set free to be more creative... we need it, society needs it. Get off the fn hamster wheel and lift your head and look around... What are we doing?

But, this pic sums it up... just waiting...
    [​IMG]

OH! I almost forgot... I've discovered that the static electricity of my laptops touch screen literally attracts bugs.. as in sucks near flying mosquitoes onto the screen, where I can just squash them.. so, got that going for me...
  17. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR Back to work

Oddometer:
    They had a really neat fish/plant set up at the biosphere here in Tucson. It was small scale, built by some local high school kids. Apparently it works really well. Hope you guys start rolling again soon. Hang in there!
  18. Veselko

Oddometer:
    Thanks... It will pass.

That's cool! Great educational tool for kids. I've read that a lot of schools and organizations are doing small systems. There's even some here in Honduras!
    SOLOKLR likes this.
  19. Veselko

Oddometer:
    Honduras means "deep water" and LaEsperanza means "the hope" or "the wait"... So, here we are, waiting in deep waters... the waiting place... But the time has come. Honduras has a plan for reopening the economy. I'm guessing whatever part of it is not enforced with police and army presence will be ignored. But, bottom line, the areas that have low case counts of COVID, which is most of the land mass, will be fully functional in three weeks... the worst places, big cities, will be fully functional in six weeks. Certain percentages of the work force are supposed to return each week until everyone is working again.

When they announced that, next day I tried to find out what the plan was for traveling in the country, but no one had an answer. Went to the police station and asked. They said sure, we can go... I didn't believe it... Still raining, so took the car down the road to where the first roadblock was, and it's gone. So, we kept going for a while. I can't explain the excitement of just being on a different stretch of road after 80+ days of being pent in. Along the way we did pass a huge pile of gravel/dirt on the road, with just a wide enough passage for a car to get through. Clearly this was not falling rock, cause it didn't have anywhere to fall from. Few minutes later, we got to a road block, complete with spikes across the road... Talked to a couple official looking guys (one had an assault rifle and the other had a bunch of patches on his shirt... that's official enough for me; it's funny how I no longer have any reaction to talking to guys with assault rifles), we explained our situation and they said we can travel toward the Nicaragua border. At first we were just shocked. You read about people that are in jail for a while and when they get out they don't know how to function normally... that's what it felt like... On the way back to town we seesawed between excitement with high fives and just silence. Really? We can go? Where are we going to go? Will Nicaragua let us in, don't know, just have to try. I've tried contacting Nicaragua immigration, but no response.

A tropical storm just passed through El Salvador and Guatemala, they got clobbered and we got six days of rain here, so figured we'd wait a few days for it to clear up. It's till been pouring, but this weekend it supposed to ease up a little, so Monday we are out of here! Should be at the Nicaragua border in a few days. They're not officially closed, but embassy says it's only truck traffic right now. We'll find out. If they don't let us in, we'll just be espero-ing in a different part of Honduras, closer to the border. Cost Rica is supposed to open end of June, as well as Panama. Colombia should be August 31st. So, three countries, three months, before we take the boat to Colombia... Estamos esperando...
  20. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really enjoy following this journey! A forced reduction in the pace life is not entirely bad, but it is gratifying to mark some progress. "Poco a poco" is the trick . . .
    Veselko likes this.