Ves ATW

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Veselko, Nov 9, 2018.

1. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR Back to work

Oddometer:
    Well, it's going south again...but in a good way this time!!
  2. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Closed Playa in El Salvador.
    FB_IMG_1586735892564.jpg
  3. Veselko

Veselko Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes! It's all going South! Took long enough...
    Sigh, we really wanted to spend some time in El Salvador. We'll do it on the flip side. Heck, we wanted to spend more traveling time in Honduras too, but guess it wasn't in the cards... flip side...

Yesterday put the rubber back on the road! Really had no issues going to Tegucigalpa from Intibuca. We had two road options, but after talking to the locals they said the one road was really bad. So, we took the other... which was pretty bad (sections of road just messed up and huge potholes)... good thing we didn't take the bad one I guess... There were some check points, but none of them stopped us. After we got settled into our "small garage converted into a bedroom/kitchen/bathroom under the main house" in Tegucigalpa we went to the grocery store to get some food to cook up for dinner. Wouldn't let us in, because our bandannas were not appropriate masks... So, found a guy in the street selling medical masks, which were like 1/8 the size of our bandannas... I can see how that would work better... not that any of them actually work... right... we do understand that... right? They still wouldn't let us into the store, because our passports didn't end with the number 6... Explaining that we're in the city for one night and we need some food to cook up didn't persuade them... They have made-up stupid rules to follow... And that was the city law... So, walked away empty handed and had to make oatmeal for dinner... Patience... Understanding... letting it go... sometimes is not easy when stupidity is staring you in the face...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today, after breakfast (more oatmeal) went back to the grocery store because we DO have #7... wohoooo! Bought a mess of stuff, went back, packed up, and we're out of there... Much of the road from Tegucigalpa down to Choluteca is concrete, smooth, and winding through the Honduras mountains. Could be the best road in the country, that I've seen anyway. About 20 minutes from Guasaule honey was in front and they pulled her over at a stop. I pulled up behind her. They talked to her, they talked to me, they're like your Visa is expired, that's a $1000 fine, I'm like no, I talked to the consulate, visas are extended until the crisis is over. Then he wanted to take us to immigration somewhere... he's like you could have left earlier... I'm like no, the Intibuca police told us we can't go... and this went on for about 15 minutes, using our phones to translate some of the stuff, while we're sweating our asses off in 90 degree weather, me in full gear... I told him our plan, showed him the GPS, more talk, and they finally let us go. The also did confirm that we can cross into Nicaragua, but he also said there's no one at the border (if I understood him right) which makes no sense. Then 10 minutes later, another roadblock, honey gets pulled over again (you think they just like pulling women over???? ) It went faster this time and they let us go. At the first one I was staring to think they weren't going to let us pass.

About 1/4 mile from our hotel the tucks were backed up far as we could see, and some border "helper" was talking to honey already. Told him it's not necessary, and we're not crossing the border until morning. So, just pulled into the oncoming lane and we cut through to our hotel. Now we're basically minutes from the border, the trucks have cleared, and the caretaker says there's no lines in the morning. Someone is clearing the trucks at the border!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And no, the pool is not working...
    [​IMG]

The view of the trucks from the "lobby"...
    [​IMG]

And no, there's no hangers in the room, but there is a shower that sprays all over the bathroom, and there is A/C! What more does a person need?!
    [​IMG]
  4. Veselko

Oddometer:
    Sure, the border is open... you could have left sooner... NOT! Got up early to miss all the truck traffic, went from Pepe's down to the border about a mile away. No go. Nicaragua border is closed to tourists... do not pass, do not collect $200, go back to jail.

Sat down in the office with one of the aduana guys, had a long discussion. No, they don't know when it will open... check with the consulate on a regular basis. No, the visa's are not a problem given the situation... On the way out, one of the army guys needs to take a picture of our passports... probably to notify his buddies that we got two stuck Americanos that need kidnapping (I'm kidding!). Another guy says, ju bant tu go to Nicaragua? I hav conections... Ah... no... all we need to do is get ourselves into the country through connections, and really go to jail. Then there was the guy that insisted he help us, and that he watched our stuff for us... right, there's two guys there with tactical weapons, and he watched out stuff... Ok, I get it, people have to make money... but there's one building, there's no one there, and we speak well enough Spanish to figure it out... go raise cows or something... Ah well, back to Pepe's to figure out what we were going to do, the room was paid up until noon! When we got there Pepe said mi casa es su casa, and he was even working on opening up their pool... which looked really good.

So, we sat there for a bit, talked. We needed some beach time. Pepe said Cedeno, a town about an hour Southwest was the closes beach town, and they had some reasonable places to stay... done. Got ourselves together and headed back. Got stopped a couple time, but conversations were short... Now that we know what we're talking about... since no one else seems to...

Honey disappeared behind me on the way, so I turned around... she had picked up a lady hitch hiker... according to her, there was nothing less than $40 for a room in that beach town. Honey asked how these poor people can afford a price like that. It's not the poor people, lots of people come from the cities, with money. So, that's how it is. You have the have's and the have not's. This is really the tragedy in this world, isn't it? We have enough wealth and resources to make sure everyone is taken care of, but we don't. At least, hopefully, that money goes into the community. But now, not for who knows how long. Just leave em out to dry...

Five minutes from our destination there was a road block. Asked me where I'm going. Told them we can't cross the border, we need a place to stay, we wanted to go the beach. No go. Beach is closed, hotels are closed, go back to town. So, went to town, about 30 minutes away and found a place for $16/night, so we can collect ourselves and figure out the next move. Could go back to Pepe's, close to the border, but it's jut in the middle of nowhere... stores, no gas, nada... We'll probably stay here in Choluteca, just need a different place we can make ourselves at home. Wifi here doesn't work and there's no place to cook...

Today, turns out that the hotel we were at, owns three properties in town, and one of them has a pool. Well, it's not the Ocean, but it's better than just sweltering in the 90 degree / 100% weather. So, we've moved over and here we are. Going to start with four days, through the weekend, and see what Monday brings. I'm really starting to thing I need to put my foot down with the consulate. I mean, what good are they if they can't get us clearance to get through a few countries? There are trucks constantly going back and fourth, hundreds of them, how are two lowly tourists going to upset the balance of the universe by crossing a couple borders. Stupid rules...

So, anyway, it's not often you see this. Well, maybe around here, but not in your typical US city...
    [​IMG]
    Hotel, with spot for the bike next to the room, and pool, so could be worse...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sidebar (Cell phones, WHO, oppression and government). I've come to realize I'm way too dependent on my cell phone. First world problem in the third world country, but it's more than that. I've always said, whatever you own owns a piece of you, and that's why I've come to the point where I don't own much; only what I need and what brings me pleasure. A phone is one of those things we need, right? Right? I'm asking, because I'm really starting to question this addiction we have to these things. Over the last few days I switched from T-mobile to Sprint. Because Tmo was hassling me about roaming too much and said they would cut me off soon as the "crisis" was over, and Sprint doesn't have an issue with it... So, even though they are now the same company, it's a better plan, for slightly less money. All this time I was in Intibuca my Sprint Chip had been at FedEx in Tagucigulpa. On our way through there I picked it up and transferred over. Easier than I thought... until I tried to create my user account online... and they locked me out... because something didn't match... they suspect fraud... so, messaging and calling support... I lost count of how many people I talked to... I don't know how many times they told me I need to take the phone in to a Sprint store, but they didn't seem to comprehend that there were no sprint stores here. Sorry, that's the only option. Then more conversations with the Fraud department.. You have to fax us your license, SS card, and proof of address... really? Made a couple attempts at an internet fax service but apparently the attachments were blurry and useless. More conversations later. You could load up the documents on our web site.... ok, why couldn't someone tell me that before?... So, finally, days later, I have a phone again. Why did this happen? Because the incompetent person that set up my account misspelled my name and got my SS number wrong. So, end up paying for someone else's mistake. But, is phone fraud really that big a problem that they have higher security than Fort Knox? Why is it that cell phone companies have this ability to piss people off to no end? Make us jump through hoops like trained poodles, instead of working with us, even when it's not per their scripts? They are no different than the WHO, running this whole virus BS according to their dreamed up rules, statistics, shutdown guidelines, reopening guidelines, and making people suffer in the process. But, they have you by the nuts... The cell phone company has you because you depend on them, and the WHO has you because they whisper on the ears of people who make the laws that get enforced, and then the burden lies on us to fight stupid laws and regulations after they're made, and we're helpless to do that without a lawyer, and time and money. Stupid rules cost us money any way you look at it. Somewhere along the way, the "customer is always right" philosophy got lost, in the name of scripted conversation and efficiency, and the "we have to do this for your own good" philosophy. There's a lot of people out there imposing their will on you... if you want what they have, then you get their shit to deal with. When it comes to my phone, I use it as a GPS, though I can do that without service, I use it to bank and identity verification, I use it to stay in touch, I use it to do research, I use it to pay my bills, make reservations while traveling... yeah, everything... But I'm really starting to wonder how I break myself free from it... I can't even remember what it was like before smartphones. Maybe I need to remind myself. How would this trip be different if I didn't use the phone... how would my life be different if all I had was a stupid phone instead of a smart one. One thing I can see is that I would automatically become smarter, because I'd have to remember all the stuff my phone remembers for me. Have to think on it some more... maybe try and go cold turkey... use the phone for nothing besides calls and GPS and see what happens. But you know, breaking free of the WHO and other oppressive organizations, including these "doing it for your own good" governments, isn't so easy... or is it? Maybe I need to buy some land in one of these countries, put up some bars, start an aquaponic garden, and shoot anyone that comes on my property. But is that freedom, or are we doing exactly what government wants us to... worry about our own little worlds, hole up somewhere, don't talk to anyone, don't question anyone, don't care about what's going on.

Frankly I'm really surprised by all the rioting going on around the world, and all because of one dead guy at the hands of the police. Of course it's not about just one dead guy. With everyone at high stress levels and not knowing what the future bring, it just took a reasons for everyone to get up in arms. Good for us. Get out there and tell them we're not taking this shit any more. It's interesting times we live in, and it's going to be interesting how this all turns out.
    SOLOKLR likes this.
  5. Veselko

Oddometer:
    And time marches on... two days ago it was officially three months in Honduras.

6/14/2020
    Geeeesss... Just read the other day that certain section of Costa Rica have been raised to Orange level, from Yellow, meaning infections are increasing. It's like nuclear war... we're now going to defcon 5! launch is eminent, everyone get in their bunkers! Is that what we're going to do next, crawl into underground holes and not come out for months? We're pretty close to that now. We're in prisons. Yeah, we can go out on certain days, and move around to a degree, but make no mistake, it's just a different form of jail...

There's nothing to do... yeah, we can stay busy, but that's even more difficult. How much can you read, study... ? Can't even walk. Well, yes, we can, but it's 90's and humid, and the streets are noisy, dusty, and trash everywhere. Not exactly refreshing to walk around.

6/15/2020
    Just read that Honduras extended their quarantine for another two weeks. Two weeks... WTF... thought that they were opening their economy? I am just beside myself. What's the option.. go back to Intibuca? Go somewhere else? Stay here. Honey votes for staying here, because at least there's a pool.

6/17/2020
    Went into town today, looked around a bit. We did discover the town center and related huge market. There's also a few parks and a river in the area. Talked to the police. They say the beach on the south coast is open now... where we got denied last week. Will check it out tomorrow.

The pool is getting a lot of use. Using it to swim and stay in shape while we sit on our butts the rest of the time. Plus it's 90-something and high humidity. You walk out and just melt in the sun.

Some random pics from recent days:

[​IMG]
    Yeah, looks nice, but the mosquitoes are killer. They move fast and bit fast and itch like crazy... must be the heat.

The river that runs through town.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Main market. There's blocks of this stuff. You can buy an avocado for $0.20 to $0.80. You walk away with a bag of stuff to feed you for days for like $8.00... not $45 like in Whole Foods back in the US. The livin' is cheap!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Traditional corn tortillas... 3 for L2... 3 for $0.08... What the heck can you buy for 8 cents anywhere in the US?
    [​IMG]

Lots of melons to be bought everywhere... couldn't fit this one...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So honey wanted some plantain chips that come with the fish dinner, so she ordered them, but I'm like, what about the fish, I'll eat it if you don't want to... so she changed the order... but they got it mixed up and we got a full plate AND a side of chips... Splurged on the fish dish... $8...
    [​IMG]

What is that, a cathedral... iglesias?

[​IMG]

Anyway... todavia esperando...

Keeping up on progress. Flights into Nicaragu by several airlines are supposed to restart by July 7 or earlier. I'm subscribed to a UK site that sends updates when border/travel situations change, and I'm monitoring the US embassy in Nicaragua for announcements.
    roadcapDen and SOLOKLR like this.
  6. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR Back to work

Oddometer:
    I can't imagine the frustration you must be facing, but you have a pool, cheap food, and your girl by your side. I'm thinking you're better off there than here. Now we're looking at a new wave of the virus numbers because people flew out of their quarantine like freshmen at spring break. Hope you get some more miles soon.
  7. Veselko

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's definitely an emotional rollercoaster, but it could be way worse. I keep reminding myself no point getting bent out of shape about it. But sometimes I do want to choke the policy makers! You're right, US is definitely having it's issues. I'm just amazed how long this thing is going on. Who would have thought?

So many questions, few answers. Let it go, day by day. Be safe out there.
    SOLOKLR likes this.
  8. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR Back to work

Oddometer:
    It's just a waiting game on a worldwide level.
  9. Veselko

Oddometer:
    So, let's see what's new... Southern Mexico just got hit with a 7.4 Mag Earthquake, but I guess the Tsunami they though was going to hit Mexico, El Slavador, Honduras, as a result, never happened. Several of the countries here, including Honduras, are recampling down on their openings, because more people keep testing positive. I've been going back and forth with the embassy about getting a letter of passage to go somewhere, if not South, then back North... because honestly, I don't see this thing ending any time soon, and I'm tired of sitting around... The response hasn't been positive, so however long it takes, it looks like we're stuck here for the duration.

Last week we did take another shot at the beach south of here. Couple Federales in town told us sure we can go to the beach... Only like 35 minutes away, so figured we'd take a shot. Got to that same roadblock that rejected us last time and they weren't having any of our story, but we persisted that the police in town said we could go, so they sprayed out tires (they're doing that.. spraying tires so that you don't bring the virus on your tires... yeah really) and let us through.

The town was pretty bustling, but the beach was dead as a door nail. Talked to a local who said that usually this beach is packed, and they normally have cleaning crews to pick up garbage, but because of the lockdowns, noting much going on. The water temp was air temp, probably close to 90 or something. There was a nice breeze, we spent some time trying to help some kids pull a floating tree out of the water (didn't have enough people), and struck up a conversation with a 12 year old local girl; no school because of the virus. She could barely understand us and we barely understood her, but she managed to get L10 out of me with that smile. But there were strings attached... I told her to go to school and get a job!

[​IMG]
    Fast Chicken... really?

[​IMG]

I'll keep an eye out for sharks honey...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    So, as you look to the right down the beach that's El Salvador in the distance, and the previous photo on the left is Nicaragua... so close and yet so far...

Over the weekend I took a ride out of town. Needed to blow the cobwebs off the bike... No, there were literally cobwebs on the bike... Oi.. the travesty of it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Just the illusion of freedom...

The embassy tells me there are flight out of the country. But I keep telling them, we have vehicles, and we can't leave them here and we can't sell them here. Driving them is the only way. Why do thousands of trucks get to go across the border, and why do millions of people get to walk around towns in all these countries, but they can't arrange for two people to pass through the countries... I don't think they're buying my argument.

Half the people in town aren't even wearing masks, and social distancing?... yeah right... everyone is all over each other in the open air markets... as it should be... but then you walk into a supermarket, your passport has to end in the right number, you get a shoe wash, you get your temperature checked, you get hand sanitizer... Come on! Call it already... virus 1 humanity 0, and move on...

I have also read that many third world countries are taking advantage of the COVID situation to get a stronger grip on their people. Friking governments... Way too many politicians pretending they're making big decision and saving lives, when they're just trying to justify their salaries, while everyone else struggles to earn a living. Does some big-shot in the WHO have any clue what people in these small towns, in poor countries, are going through, being forced to follow their stupid guidelines... No, not a clue.

The big question is, how is this going to effect travel long term. I really thought this thing was going to blow over in a few weeks... clearly that's not going to happen. But I think it's anyone's guess exactly how long travel is going to be restricted... Guatemala right now is requiring anyone coming into the country to quarantine for 30 days. Really?! 30 days... what frikin genius came up with that idea? And how many more geniuses are there out there like that? And how long we going to let them dictate the rules?

Anyway, I've been doing more research on aquaponics, how to grow my own black soldier fly larva, duckweed, and meal worms, how to incorporate, and been looking at farmland in the Ozarks and Appalachians! I'm this close to setting up shop on 30 acres, telling the world to kiss my ass, and shoot anyone that comes near me... :becca It's not just that we're not in Kansas any more Toto... Kansas done blowed away...
    SOLOKLR and staticPort like this.
  10. roadcapDen

Oddometer:
    Damn, I'm missing the beach and Pacific, took a launcha from El Salvador to a Honduran island in February, brought back memories.

Those fishin boats can take a bike North or South to the next country, jus sayin...
    SOLOKLR likes this.
  11. roadcapDen

Oddometer:
    IMG_20200502_095035_315.jpg
    Veselko likes this.
  12. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR Back to work

Oddometer:
    I was thinking that about the trucks!
    roadcapDen likes this.
  13. SoosCreek

SoosCreek Angle of Repose... Supporter

Oddometer:
    FYI. I have been following your adventure over the last few months. The whole bike and Subaru combination is interesting as is your approach to this trip. I appreciate that Honey has her own approach to this endeavor and that you have been stuck with little or know plans. Keep up the spirit as life could be throwing you a whole bunch of other curve balls! BTW. Most of us our very limited in our options for travel and vacations here in the US so in some ways I think you are better off...
  14. Veselko

Oddometer:
    I can see it now... Motorcyclist Dies in Back of Truck, Trying to return to US after being stuck in Honduras over three months, after repeated requests to US Embassy for help.
    SOLOKLR likes this.
  15. Veselko

Oddometer:
    hmmm... But in the US everyone is free to move around, aren't they? Aren't the beaches and parks open? I was reading that in the US fewer and fewer people are in support of these quarantine policies, and i think we have the freedom there to choose what we do. Here, there's no choice, whatever policy the government comes up with, they enforce at gunpoint. And people are freaked out so they'll do just about anything they're told. What makes it worse is that they did slow down transmission, so now it's a slow process waiting for the curve to flatten. I'm thinking the curve may not flatten for months yet. In the US people are more independent and are only going to take this carp for so long, so in the long run I wonder if things will free up there sooner. There's just no way to know.
  16. Veselko

Oddometer:
    Well, three weeks and got tired of sitting around in Choluteca. Also, been reading that various countries, including Honduras are rolling back the lockdowns. Clearly this is not going to end any time soon. It's all politics...

So, North to San Pedro Sula, for the airport, and Puerto Cortes, for the shipping port... On the way stopped at the El Salvador Honduras border to see if anything can be done about officially extending our vehicle permits and visas, in case we need to leave the vehicles here for a few months.

And that's the border... some cones and tape on both sides... actually this is where the cars and people traffic would pass through. There were some official Honduras border workers in a small building just behind me. They can't do anything about extending our visas, but they say it's not a problem... we can stay a long as we want while this COVID thing is happening! Nice of them. He pointed us back about half a mile where the truck traffic crosses to get our temp imports extended. Took some doing, but we found the guy in charge and he took care of us, gave us another 90 days... rolled his eyes when we asked how long he thought this was going to go on.
    [​IMG]

After that we headed North to Comayagua. Got a room at what we thought was a hotel, but actually turned out to be a couples home, they list as a hotel and they also do Air B&B from there. Most of the road up there was actually very nice, and beautiful scenery. Had about 3 miles of some teeth jarring unfinished road. But that's how it seems to go... over 100 miles of nice road, and it's like they ran out of money to finish the last section... I smell politics again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got to where we were going with a safe spot for the bike. The host couple was really nice. We turned out to be their first clients since the lockdown started three months ago. But seeing as things are locking down again, they probably will not get many after us. And this is one of the issues.. some guys sitting in offices, making decisions, about what's good for us... while these folks are loosing a part of their livelihood.

The craziest thing I saw on the way, as yo get into town they literally have a chemical spray booth set up... a structure that even a truck can fit through that sprays some kind of anti-viral chemical as you drive by... Luckily they turn the thing off for motorcyclists... thank you for small favors... There's a couple guys sitting there with the controls, wearing their masks... I'm thinking they're not going to get the virus, cause the chemicals will kill them first. The other thing we learned was that some neighborhoods take it upon them selves to shut down. If you're not from the neighborhood, they don't let you in. Really? Is this the new normal we're going to ease into? You know what happens, it's the boiling frog... first it's stay inside, next it can't shop without a mask, then you can't go into our neighborhood, then we'll just pull out guns and shoot anyone that looks like they may be sick. Wait... That was my idea...
    [​IMG]

I have to say something about the mosquitoes in this area... Aaaaaaahhhhhhh!... They're small, fast, quiet, and the fly random evasive patterns so you can't hit them unless they're already sucking on you. Glad we had screens on the windows and all, but most of the house was open, so yeah... Yeah, not exactly the worst of our problems right now...

We hit the road again early in the morning and continued North. We're getting smarter... cause you don't know what you're going to run into, leave plenty of time...
    [​IMG]

For the record, Honey is getting stopped all the time, to have her car inspected, bags opened etc.. They seem to leave me alone, even when I pull up just to sit and watch. Why is that? They see her Colorado plate coming, and a blond girl behind the wheel, and it's open season? She needed a break to take a long walk down a long pier.

We lucked out for our stay in San Pedro Sual. The place we got was listed 20 minutes before we reserved it. First customers... again... but they did tell us that the room was empty and they had to go buy a bed and TV for us... Very nice couple in a clean gated community. They have four kids, one boy who is bilogical, and three girls they adopted because they lost their parents. I didn't want to pry how, but that's some amazing hearts they have. They are very accommodating and are even helping us make some calls regarding shipment of our vehicles...

Yes, it's come to that. Option A is ship the vehicles back to Miami Florida and take flights back to pick them up there, go see some family, etc.. If we can't, then maybe we leave them here for three months when the import papers expire again, in hopes of things clearing up, but it's not a good option... would have to find someone to take care of them... and then we're stuck without vehicles back in the US. Option three is we both fly out for a while, we come back. But, some countries are not letting US citizens in. Even the European Union is considering blocking anyone from the US since cases are skyrocketing... So, that would be great, fly out and then can't come back for a year... Could use the Croatia passport and go to Croatia and hang out there, but odds anywhere are about the same... I'm sometimes pissed, a lot frustrated, sometimes depressed (that there's no known timeline for this thing), sometimes numb... eh... whatever... that's adventure...

Our neighborhood for a few days, maybe at least a couple weeks while we try to work out this big plan change... I'd like to say I'm looking forward down the road, six months a year or two, when all this blows over, but I can't even see a few weeks ahead so no point in going there... take it as it comes...

[​IMG]

Something you don't see very often... a sky scraper in the midst of single family homes... there's a few in the area.
    [​IMG]
    roadcapDen likes this.
  17. Veselko

Oddometer:
    Well, it's Soooooo bittersweet, but for better or worse, everything is lined up, including the leaving. We met with the logistics guy our host recommended (I'll wait to recommend him AFTER the vehicles make it to FL), he copied all the paperwork, yesterday he got us a price, basically $1350 here and another ~$150 in Florida, which is way less expensive than than other places we talked to. Do we have to wash the vehicles... no... do we have to remove the gas... no... can we leave all our stuff in the car... si! No problema! How that is possible, I don't know. And that's for both car and bike. What it tells me is that everyone else who ships overland vehicles is paying way too much, or the vehicles will end up on the bottom of the ocean somewhere because they are putting them in a canoe... We'll see what happens.

We'll be dropping the vehicles off at the port on his canoe... I mean on his cue... in the next few days, somehow get a ride back to town (public transportation is shut down but I'm hopping that cabs can take a fare for people preparing to leave the country). We got some cheap flights on Spirit to fly out on Friday the 10th, and the vehicles arrive between the 11th and 15th. We reserved a place in Miami to get some beach time while we're waiting! Are the beaches open in FL? Of course our host makes it clear that shoes come off at the door, face masks must be worn in all common areas and when talking to them, and the room will be steamed and bleached... I guess I should consider myself lucky they are no requiring us to be bleached down... of course I'm not telling them where we're coming from... cause doubt they would let us within 100 yards of the place.

Beyond that... there is no plan. Only thing for sure is that honey will be flying to Europe to visit her parents (hopefully she will be allowed to come back, it's official that people coming from the US can not enter the EU, so will US allow people from Europe?), and I will be seeing family in Colorado and Illinois. Haven't seen one of my daughters and family back in Illinois for over a year, the other daughter for 7 months (need to catch up with the grandkids!).

I had a big wall map that I used to plan out the general route around the world. Left that at my daughters house. They put it up on my grandson's wall, so he's all dreaming, and we had a phone conversation, about how he's going to travel to the Amazon when he gets older. Hopefully the borders are open by the time he's old enough to travel!... in about 15 years. It will be a different world for him, that's for sure.

Factoid: It's only about 480 miles less from Miami FL to Denver CO than it is from Honduras to Denver.
  18. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR Back to work

Oddometer:
    Here's hoping that it all goes well.
    And for future reference, I'm done trying to follow along with your travels. Twice now it's gone south, er north! Just kidding!
  19. Veselko

Oddometer:
    Ha! It's like the universe is saying, how bad do you want this? It's testing me man, it's testing me!
    SOLOKLR likes this.
  20. 531blackbanshee

531blackbanshee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for posting.i hope everything works out as well as possible for you two.

leon
    Veselko likes this.