Ves ATW

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Veselko, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Veselko

Veselko Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Crossed the border into Texas at Matamoros. That was a Chinese fire drill. Note, as you're leaving Mexico, there's really no Mexico border control. But I did see the Mexico entry side, so kind of veered over that way. Guard in the parking lot tells me I have to go around, so I did. You get to a toll both and you're over the bridge and at the US border control... ok... guessing that wasn't right... which was a problem because I needed to cancel my Temporary Import. But, they have me open some of my bags, etc.. I explained my situation and the guy says I have to go back to the Mexico entry side and do it there. So, I do that, pay another toll, but I miss the building, and end up in the same parking lot I was in before... anyway, to make a long story short, finally got the word that right before the first toll, you basically have to hang a U (there's some barriers with an open section, stick to the left, and there's the Banjercito (for entry into Mexico) and that's where you get it all taken care of. Would of saved me some headache if there was just a sign while going North... Banjercito / Migration this way.

Anyway, got it done, then stuck to the left to get back to the Mexico exit side, and proceeded to the US border again. By now there was a line of cars, it's hot as heck, but to the left there's a lane, with no one in it, and an American flag over the lane... Must be for American citizens only... lol... not... The guy asks me if I'm blah blah blah... some kind of security clearance... I'm like no, I was just through here, had to go around... explaining my situation... take off your helmet... what's in your pockets... follow me... so I get ushered to the area with guards... bunch of security guys come out... I explain my situation... weren't you just through here... yeah he was just through here... open all my bags anyway, again... what do you do... and so on with a hundred questions... Yes sir no sir... don't arrest me sir, because I went in the wrong line (that's what I wanted to say, but figured I'd keep my mouth shut...)

So, Texas... Yeah, it's a lot cleaner and more organized than Mexico, and there's border patrol everywhere. What is this, a war? I even came to a checkpoint on the highway (where am I Mexico?)... They ask, are you a citizen, I say yeah, and he says drive safely... I'm guessing that's Trump's doing...

As I rode to my motel, it wasn't getting any cooler...
    [​IMG]

Few hours later made it to a cold shower and some AC... whew...

[​IMG]
    Drybones and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  2. Veselko

Veselko Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, this is how it looks...
    [​IMG]
    Just a couple hundred miles shy of 9000 miles for this leg of the journey. Texas was flat and straight so didn't see much point to dragging it out. I was going about 300 miles a day, and the last day was 400+ miles. Took a break every hour so as not to tire myself out. Been in CO since 9/1. Going to close this chapter out with some random photos from the last week.

This was still back in Mexico. GPS took me off the main highway for 15 minutes under the pretense that this was a faster route... Didn't seem like it, but it was a nice break from days of four lane highway.
    [​IMG]

Never seen anything like this. Side of the highway...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One of the motels I stayed at for the night was infested with crickets... guess the roaches aren't allowed to cross the border...
    [​IMG]

It was an interesting room... bed... three closets... a clothes closet with no hangers... a shower closet... and a toilet/sink closet... Lady at the counter says, you want to look at the room before you sign in? I said nope, cause I'm not going anywhere else... After 300+ miles and another hot day, I was done.

[​IMG]

Last day on the road... somewhere in Northern Texas or Oklahoma on 287. Just miles of lonely roads...
    [​IMG]

That oil leak I had on the bike was getting worse as I went along. By the time I got to CO I had oil flying back onto my center stand, swingarm, rear wheel... Took it apart and verified it was the rubber seal on the stator. Also found that the lead wires that are in the oil bath were very brittle. When I moved the seal I could hear the wire insulation crack. Sent a message to Racetek Electric, and though the stator is warrantied for a year, I opted not to get another one and just put in the stock one. If they're not using wire insulation that can take the heat, and probably the same with the rubber seal, then I doubt a replacement unit would solve the problem. I don't need another leak another few thousand miles down the road. So, guess I just stay with the stock or pony up a lot more money for one of the other high output stators on the market. I've got until November to think about it...

Honey is doing better. We went hiking in the CO mountains the other day... Cool temperatures and low humidity... nice break from the 100+ degrees and 90%+ humidity in Mexico and Texas.
    [​IMG]

Been discussing the next part of the journey, starting early December. We're agreed that we're headed back down toward South America. Probably going to make a big loop of it. Go Southwest, down the West coast, come back up the East coast. Figuring we'll take our time, so maybe a year and a half? At this point looks like car and bike (I'm thinking Subaru Outback with a couple inches of lift and some bigger all terrain tires, just in case...). Going to get a carrier so the bike can go on the back of the car. For the long and boring stretches of road it goes on the carrier, and we'll take turns driving the car . When the roads get nice, and when we're in a location, I or we use the bike. She's not comfortable riding a bike, and I'm not ready to give it up. Though honestly, the thought has occurred to me. The last three months have definitely taken their toll on my body. My weak spots are creeking and complaining. That stomach issue I had when I started out is still with me too. Slowly getting better, but still here. Watching what I eat is a fact of life going forward. The reduced stress of just driving on occasion should help.

Don't wait!
    roadcapDen, lanztek, DavidM1 and 2 others like this.