Ves ATW

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Veselko, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Veselko

Veselko Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Took 15 South again toward Tepic. Avoided the tollway again (15D) until the last toll. Again, there's a bunch of people at the toll booth, none of them in the actual booths, and they have a rope strung across the lane to prevent you from passing. So, what are you going to do? Pay the man. Honey was in front with the car and paid, but they waved me by without paying. As I was sitting waiting, I was trying to figure if I should challenge them. But just past the tool booth I saw what looked like a police truck with lights flashing, so guess they were legit. I'm wondering if the state allows groups to collect the normal tolls to support causes?

Other than that, relatively uneventful until we got into town. The address was across town so had to go through downtown traffic getting there. Then, dirt, and hills, and ditches. I can't believe there are actually streets like that in places. At one point I look at where I'm going and it goes up a steep hill with ruts and rocks, and there's a road going to the left, but narrow, and a chicken in my way... well, it's going to move cause once I get some momentum going up this thing, I'm not stopping. I make it up, take the turn and stop. I look back and see the hood on honey's car and then I see her going backward... I'm thinking she's not going to make it. But she gives it another run and comes around. The road ahead is worse than what we just came up, so I tell her to wait and let me scout it out. I go a few blocks and it's a dead end and yeah, there's no way she can make it with the Subaru, not enough ground clearance, the ruts are too deep and irregular. So, I come back, point back down hill at the next block, but she doesn't think she can manage it. So, I go down on the bike, and walk back up to take the Subaru down, and then send a message to our host, like wafakawi? I give him an address and number and hes says we're in the wrong place. I'm like WTF, it's the location that's in AirBB. Turns out he's 30 minutes across town in the direction that we just came from. Great. Honey and I discuss it, and she doesn't feel comfortable going down, so I just tell her I'm going to take a path, just make sure two of your wheels are on it as you follow me. She does and we get out of the mess.

We're in for the night, in a house where the entire first level has no windows and the garage is right next to the living room. I doubt the FBI could find us. Got here late because of the shenanigans so no town walk. Maybe tomorrow, but only staying one night here, so maybe not.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Veselko

Oddometer:
    At breakfast today, our host, and nine times grandmother! gave us a demonstration of making tortillas from scratch using this contraption; basically a press, with two pieces of plastic. So, you mix Masa (cooked and blended corn) with water, make balls, stick a ball between plastic, bring the press on it... boom.. tortilla. She cooked them up for us and they were delicious, also gave us some home made picante, not too spicy.... mmm.. mmmm...

[​IMG]

After breakfast we mulled it over and decided we should just take off so the days journey wouldn't be rushed. Good move, because Nyarit is on a different time zone so we lost an hour. The route from Tepic to the Puerto Vallarta is a nice two laner for the most part, but it was kind of crowded, with some slow moving trucks, so not idea, but nice blend of curves, lush greenery, and small towns.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stopped for and afternoon break and snack.

[​IMG]

We got into town and as we got closer to our stay for the night we're on a dirt road again, thinking it was going to be a repeat of yesterday, but never got that bad, and at the end is a series of nicely paved roads and gated communities. We met our host and the place did not disappoint. Turns our we're their first guests. I like this, people are opening up their homes just in time for us to stay there! :clap

Nice bedroom, private bath, full use of the kitchen, and... a community pool across the street (which we promptly enjoyed), complete with palms and coconuts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We're here for two nights, so we'll probably check out the nearby beaches tomorrow. Far enough north of Puerto Vallarta to avoid the city mess and congestion. Our next day will be going Southeast to end up in the midst of a dozen or so Volcanos, found a small town there and I'm guessing the volcanoes are not active... but let's not get ahead of ourselves... enjoying one day at a time. At least doing this story keeps me in touch with what date it is, though which day it is gets lost occasionally.
    Drybones likes this.
  3. Veselko

Oddometer:
    Another day, some more pool time, some more beach time, some more smelling the flowers along the way...

Da flowers...
    [​IMG]

Da boys at the homestead...
    [​IMG]
    Da boat on da beach... and the fancy beachfront properties...
    [​IMG]

Da beach... Playa Bucerias
    [​IMG]

Da chillin on da beach...
    [​IMG]

Back on the road again tomorrow morning, headed for those volcanoes. Host tells me the road is all up and down and back and forth... :ricky
    roadcapDen likes this.
  4. Veselko

Oddometer:
    Yesterday was one month since we took off from Boulder... Somewhere over 2000 miles.

Started out the day by making our own tortillas for breakfast. Bought some Masa (dry corn kernels cooked with ash then drained, washed and mashed) at a local store. Nothing like fresh tortillas...

[​IMG]

Took route 70 Southwest. Not bad, after a bit there's some nice scenery going up into the mountains, and in some places the road is s-weet, in good condition or repaved, with some nice sweepers. Other places, not so much; rough and potholed. Chain still hasn't fallen off either.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ended up just outside of Mescota at the Villa Cantabaria, down a gravel road off of 70, an old villa converted to a hotel some 15 years ago, according to the staff. There's hammocks, and sitting areas, bungalows, huge rooms, a pool, nice view of the mountains, open air lobby, open air kitchen, temps in the 70's... and we're the only guests. Apparently September is the busy season, very popular with the motorcycle community... come for the road, stay for it all.

We got the room at the far right end of the place, so yeah, just pull the vehicles around.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Huge old tree in the front yard of the place, like one of those we saw in the arboretum a few days back.
    [​IMG]
    We can just make out the town in the distance. Muy tranquilo aqui!
    [​IMG]

Open air kitchen, with industrial stove for cooking massive amounts of food. They will make you breakfast from a short list of options.
    [​IMG]

The kitchen assistant helping us with dinner... nicest mild mannered humble dog...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was some rain just after we settled in, so got the official welcome rainbow. A little after this photo a herd of cows went across this grass... the leader out front and the rest of the herd following in line... that explains the hoof prints over in the grass by where we parked. Couple horses mulling around too.
    [​IMG]

Someone went for a swim, but I was content with mid thigh, cause it was chilly and that water was beer temperature! Brrrr... I'm sure it would be great in July-Sep.
    [​IMG]

After dinner sat in the open air lobby, listened to music, danced a bit (well, honey danced and I faked it). And there was a bit of Jose in a bottle behind the bar, so yeah, why not?

[​IMG]

Short day, only about 70 miles for the day, about two hours with the slow traffic, the speed bumps, and the curves.
    [​IMG]

Staying here a few nights, seeing what we can see around here.
    roadcapDen likes this.
  5. Veselko

Oddometer:
    Apparently the kitchen helper is a nap helper too...

[​IMG]
    and that's kind of how it's been. Just did absolutely nothing yesterday; some sun time, some siesta time, making meals, enjoying the birds chirping in the yard. Tranquil definitely describes this place. I think we've reached a new level of relaxation. And with views like this, how can you not?

[​IMG]

This morning after breakfast, thought we'd venture out try to hit one of the volcanos (showed a hiking trail around it on the map) and a Municipal Park (Petrificado el Malpais). No idea what to expect. First attempt was a fail, road was crap. Talked to a local, he suggested not going further, rather turn around and go through town. Well, the park was closer so went there instead, also rough road, nice scenery (river steaming in the cool morning air in the distance)

[​IMG]
    but a closed gate that we opened, and we end up in some guys front yard, next to the stable with cows and horses. Fail again. So, went back through town to go to the volcano. The town roads are all rock, some worse than others, so slow going, but guess it wasn't slow enough for some so they actually had rock speed bumps across the rock road... nice...

[​IMG]

Well, got to where the trail around the volcano starts, and we're greeted by a big gate with a sign that basically says NO!... Ok, then... Thought about going south to a lake area, but figured we'd save that for tomorrow. Went back, made lunch, reserved the place for one more night, got some more sun and more chillin...

In the later afternoon we chucked a frizbee around and the horses from the farm started doing some edge trimming around the trees and stone walkway. There's also a whole herd of cows that comes walking across the front lawn every day like clockwork; out in the morning, back in the evening.
    [​IMG]

Took a walk into town, less than a mile away, stopped at a store and bought some locally grown avocados. Like 21 pesos ($1.05?) for five. Brought them back, chilled for a bit, made dinner... rough day.

Speaking of town, there's suppose to be about 100k people living there. Could have fooled me; relatively empty streets. Lot of agriculture in this valley, nestled between a couple dozen volcanoes, the youngest one of which could be as young as 1000 years.

We'll see if that lake has a locked gate around it, ma(nj)ana...
    roadcapDen likes this.
  6. Veselko

Oddometer:
    Well, last day in Mascota (Pueblo Magico)...

Sunrise at the homestead...
    [​IMG]

The herd going out to pasture...
    [​IMG]

My new "hugs" emoticon... On the road going to Presa Corrinchis... (Corrinchis dam). The usual mix of rock roads, gravel roads.. The gravel feels like a superhighway after bouncing around on those rock roads.
    [​IMG]

La Molcajete restaurant... mess of a road getting there and a mess there... guess they're doing some renovation off season.
    [​IMG]

The restaurant has a view of the lake and surrounding hills. Talked to the caretaker about a road (shows as a hiking trail on Maps.me). He confirmed it goes around the lake, and we missed the turnoff somewhere.

[​IMG]
    So, after a plate of guack and chips, which was very good by the way... $3.25... we headed back up the road to find it.
    [​IMG]

But it was another gate... sigh... so much for hiking trails around here.

On the way back to the homestead stopped in town center.

[​IMG]

So, the Mexicans have this tradition where the 15 year old girls have a coming out of sorts... so they get all dressed up and have their picture taken, etc.. We've seen a lot of that as we're traveling... the hearts are standard town decor..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back on the bouncing rocks to the homestead... to feed the calves!.. apparently they don't like apples...
    [​IMG]

And took a walk around the homestead... the herd... looked like they were ready to come back home... Those flat topped cones were the near volcanoes.
    [​IMG]

That's a wrap for Mescota... pubeblo magico indeed...

But like all paradises it's not quite perfect. The place we're staying in has this musty smell, which was just rustic, for a couple days, now it's annoying... they need to clean some mold off the shower curtains. And the whole place is kind of damp, and I have a series of bites on me (similar to this summer) which seems to say sand flies or bed bugs or something...but can't find any evidence of them... other than the very itchy bites, but they look very familiar and feel the same... :beccaSo far way less then I had in the summer, I'm sleeping with sweat pants tucked in my socks, long sleeves tucked in my sweat pants, and a hat... and honey is somehow immune..:hmmmmm

Time to gooooo..., and hopefully not bring them with...
  7. crashkorolyk

crashkorolyk just happy to ride

Oddometer:
    Brilliant R.R. and pictures,just found this,awesome adventure.Thanks for sharing,looking forward to the rest of the trip!
    Veselko likes this.
  8. Veselko

Oddometer:
    Thanks crash. I hope that's just your name and not a bad habit! :lol3 Glad to share it.

Ok, and off we went. Soon as we got out of Mascota the road takes you up into the mountains where you can see the whole Mascota area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The entire route we took (starting with 70/90) was a mixed bag). Some really nice sections of new curvy pavement and some teeth jarring, potholed, badly patched stuff.

Stopped at a small town along the way to buy some groceries and have a lunch snack before moving on.

[​IMG]

And carried on...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got confusing as we got about 2/3 rd's of the way along. The GPS was doing some crazy things; one telling us the route was impossible, another one routing us up north and than back down (ah.. no..). So, played it by ear and made adjustments as we went along. About half an hour out of Jocotepec, or destination, traffic came to a standstill and was just c-r-a-w-l-i-n-g... Some work was getting done at a major intersection and the lanes were filtering down and having to cross another highway, so everyone had to wait their turn to go... Oy. What should have been about a four hour trip was 6.5 by the time we got to my Aunt and Uncles house. They insisted we stay with them while in the area and it's awesome to see them.

[​IMG]

Today they took us around the town a bit. Hilltop view of Lake Chapala, then down by the lake... Joco(tepec), as they call it, is like retirement mecca apparently. The weather is relatively mild all year round, at about 2500 ft above sea level. A bunch of ex-pats (25k+), from all over the world, choose to make their homes here. And it's not cheap. Houses are about what they cost in the US or more, in the gated communities.

[​IMG]

A lot of fruit is grown in this area and a lot of the silver things in the distance are covered fields,like greenhouses...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Down by the lake are all sorts of sea birds...
    [​IMG]

The greenery in the forefront is not grass, or even ground, it's some kind of water plants that grow thick and cover the surface near the shore.
    [​IMG]

Introducing the new hit band ... Jocote... ok, not really... honey, me, and my Aunt and Uncle.
    [​IMG]

After walking around the park and shore we went to dinner in a near town. Yves is the name of the place and there's a story about some old man feeding a mule... so they had some artwork and well...
    [​IMG]

a couple of hairy mules!
    [​IMG]

The place was actually really good. Prices maybe a bit lower than the US, but good food and something for everyone. And besides the mules, it has a large pool with fountain, inside or outside seating, and American music playing on the speakers. It is what the ex-pats expect! And the waitresses speak Spanish, but answer to English...

How long we going to stay? Not sure. I've got some papers I need notarized by the US consulate (at $50 a signature... sheeeesh...), which is in Guadalajara, about 45 minutes away, but couldn't get an appointment for two weeks. So, unless they agree to see me sooner, we may get to know this area pretty good.
    crashkorolyk and roadcapDen like this.
  9. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    nice! What's the pollution like around there? Heard its no t good.
  10. Veselko

Oddometer:
    Well, as Mexico goes, I've definitely been in way worst places. My aunt says every time they go to the lakefront park it gets cleaner. There's still plastic bottles in the water, etc. The air quality seems to be good. My aunt and uncle have a well for water. He says the water is better quality than in the US. And he has it tested regularly. I have heard that the water in the lake is not great, but it is Guadalajara's main source also. So, overall, seems ok. They've been living here for 16 years and they haven't grown any third eyes yet...
    roadcapDen likes this.
  11. Veselko

Oddometer:
    Some action from the last couple days...

Can't put my finger on it, but there's something fishy about this picture... The lakefront at Jocotepec.
    [​IMG]

and clearly the pelicans think there's something fishy here too... Lakefront at Chapala...
    [​IMG]

Some hand made crafts... Made by five native Mexicans all dressed in their native colors...

[​IMG]

The walk on the right of this photo goes on for a mile, we never did get to the end of it... Pretty cool. There's a skate park there, vendors, people mulling around. Don't go on the weekend, you'll have to park three blocks away; popular place.
    [​IMG]

Statue of Jesus the fisherman...

[​IMG]

At one time this bridge wasn't there, so you had to take a boat out to the Jesus statue...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now here's some entertainment (see video below if it loads)... these guys climb this pole, then they wrap those ropes around the pole by spinning around on the thing they're sitting on... then they hang upside down by one leg while they spin and lower to the ground... while one of them plays the flute... then they come around asking for donations... ok, that was worth a few pesos...
    [​IMG]

and here we have the latest in Mexican gringo fashion... I wouldn't mess with the short guy... he looks tough...
    [​IMG]

This is a huge restaurant on the Chapala shore... we went and ate a couple doors to the left...
    [​IMG]

Red snapper bathing in the sunset... yum...
    [​IMG]

Sunset on the shore...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The moon, Venus (I assume), and the shore...
    [​IMG]
    Not a bad couple days...
    roadcapDen and crashkorolyk like this.
  12. Veselko

Oddometer:
    So, been doing important things, like playing with noodles and blowup toys...

[​IMG]

So, if you shoot one of the pool water supply jets through a noodle, you can float the ball ... one of our important discoveries...
    [​IMG]

Then a discussion ensued as to why honey can float and I start sinking feet first... has to do with muscle mass, body fat distribution, and such...
    [​IMG]

Then yesterday we decided to actually go do something. Kind of a overcast rainy day but went over to Mazamitla, which is about 1.5 hours Southeast into the mountains and about 8000ft. Temps in the low 50's. Most of the road getting there is actually pretty nice. Curves and mountain scenery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Town center is definitely kind of touristy, and there were signs about Pueblo Magico... must be some kind of designation they assign to particularly charming towns... Anyway, after we had lunch figured we'd go check out a nearby waterfall, Cascada El Salto, about 15 minutes further South. Ended up at a gate where you could proceed by foot (no thanks) or by riding horses (in the rain, no thanks). We see cars coming out and ask why they can drive in and out, and he says they live there, so some kind of gated community in the forest. Confusing conversation ensues and he wants 500 pesos... we're like wtf.. later! But more conversation and we settle on $20 US and they give us a visitor pass and let us through... The road winds through the wooded hills, with some pretty big houses scattered around. Someone has money... we speculated this is where the cartel lives... secluded in the mountains only one road in and out... But anyway, after bouncing around the rock roads, getting lost once, making a 12 point turn, cause the road was really narrow, we got to the end and a small walking path...

[​IMG]

then you end up at what is the top of the falls, so you have to go down this rocky staircase...
    [​IMG]

And you get to the bottom and get your reward...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fall is over 200 ft tall. And actually there's suppose to be another one very near by, but we weren't that adventurous.

[​IMG]

On the way back we stopped to just one side of the gate as you're about to leave town. A whole row of metal mariachi players. A couple of them holding empty tequila bottles. Seems fitting...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the way back we had three police trucks pass us and they were in a hurry... little further down they were at an intersection looking all riled up in their full bulletproof outfits... My uncle says maybe someone got shot. Yeah, well, maybe... It's a beautiful area, but I'm sure there's trouble if you go looking for it.
    crashkorolyk likes this.
  13. Veselko

Oddometer:
    Lazy day... woke up at like 8-something, made breakfast by 10, did nothing until about 2:00. Then my aunt and uncle took us over to Cajititlan, which is on a lake that goes by the same name, just North over the mountains from Chapala. On the way there we stopped at what is supposed to be the best burrito place in the area. It didn't disappoint, but it definitely leans toward the meat menu. The place was huge, a couple lines, one for eating inside and outside. The burritos are on the small side, so you have to have two or three. I opted for the Chillie Rellenos (sp?). If you're in the area, on route 23 in Santa Rosa, it's a definite stop.

Los Burritos da Nayahua or now Los Milagros de Daliila; view from inside the dining room...
    [​IMG]

El gato en el Burro alado de caballo... (I think I got that right) in the restaurant courtyard.
    [​IMG]

The main food line... with interesting fake parrot water falling pool kind of thing... They're fast! Gave me a number for my dish, and by the time got to a table to sit down, the girl was right behind me with the food.
    [​IMG]

After getting pleasantly stuffed we continued to the lake... There was some kind of fiesta going on, so streets had all sorts of vendors, and the shore area was just packed with people. They had three bands within 50 feet of each other all playing at the same time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were a few places selling these Gorditas de Nata (not sure what the Nutella is in the picture for, maybe should be a topping?), which are kind of fat, sweet, corn flour pancakes. Bought a stack of four, hot off the grill, for $1.30. Yum...
    [​IMG]

Also bought two hats, one wide brim ladies straw hat, for honey, for $1.50... and my uncle bought a nice brim hat for like $7.00... How do they even make stuff that cheap?

Local architecture... there's always a church in the square...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And that's about it. Still no word from the consulate regarding moving up my appointment to have some papers notarized, so looks like we'll be here through the 6th, so will start thinking about where we're headed next.
  14. Veselko

Oddometer:
    Dinner at some awesome neighbors and some thoughts about the "cartel".

Been just hanging around, temps are barely hitting mid sixties and it's been cloudy and rainy. My aunt says it is very unusual for this area. Global weirding again! Got invited for dinner by some neighbors of my aunt and uncle, Frank and Rose, and not just any dinner but make your own pizza! And normally they would do that in their outdoor brick oven, but cold and rainy, we did it in the regular oven. They are originally from England, Rose was in the air force and retired at 40! And Frank was a firefighter for many years and traveled around the world, they both have. Awesome people, do a lot for the community. Enjoyed talking to them. They have an amazing place too, which they bought for a song and dance and renovated themselves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, they have a full sliding door in their living room that opens up to the patio, and the world becomes their living room! Not a bad was to live. Outdoor grill and brick oven to the left...

[​IMG]

So one of the things we talked about was the cartel, and thieves, etc.. The cartel has businesses, some normal stuff like restaurants and stores, and then other stuff, and they don't like trouble for themselves, or the community. They don't like to attract attention. They don't like tourists getting robbed cause it's bad for business. So, petty thieves in Mexico not only have the police to deal with (sometimes people just disappear, or get the crap beat out of them, when they get caught; who's got time for courts) but also the cartel (like people getting dragged away and having their hands cut off to set an example). But, there is still crime, like in this neighborhood, a housekeeper got threatened into helping would be robbers. The house was completely cleared out... came with a truck... loaded up and took off... but I'm guessing that's not going to happen again. But there are other deterrents... like one neighbor with the guns who asks the police, can a shoot a guy that comes on my property? I can't tell you yes or no, but don't shoot anyone in the back... good enough! He did shoot a guy. What the exact relationship is between the police and the cartel is, I don't know, but it's all very interesting. I'm guessing if they each keep to themselves it's live and let live.

And how does that effect me as an obvious tourist? Well, If I don't go looking for trouble, I'm hoping trouble stays away from me. Some common sense, and respect brings respect.
    roadcapDen likes this.
  15. roadcapDen

Oddometer:
    Muy bueno!
  16. Veselko

Oddometer:
    Well, yesterday got my stuff taken care of at the US Consulate in Guadalajara. The trip in wasn't too bad, about an hour and twenty minutes. Mid day, so that's as good as it gets in terms of traffic. It's a decent ride from Jocotepec (Hoko). On the way out it was multi-lane bumper to bumper. I was forced to exercise my options and cut through and around traffic... when in Rome, make like the Romans. I will say that some of the guys that split lanes are loco. Not that I'm a lane splitting expert, but I generally try to go just a little faster than traffic. Some of those guys were zooming. Saw one guy almost get wiped out; he's between lanes, coming to a spot where there's no car in the right lane, and just as he's there, the guy in the left lane decides to cut over. They saw each other at the last split second and all ends well. And the buses... They don't care. There's only two lanes and a messed up shoulder and they are driving on the shoulder; two wheels on the road, two not. Remind me not to take a bus anywhere... Eventually got to the cause of the backup, some truck stalled out in the left lane, and smooth sailing back to my Aunts.

There's a nice overlook as you get into Jocotepec and I wanted to stop there and get a parting shot of the town sign, but it was totally clogged with buses; must have been 10 of them, even out in the street, so stopped a little bit down the road. Still a nice view.

[​IMG]

Today we went to the Chili cook off in Ajijic (Ahihic) water park just down the road. The main thing is they have a Chili, Salsa, and Margarita competition. You get in a big line, and all the vendors are lined up, giving you a taste of their items, and you enter your choice on a ballot.

[​IMG]
    You can check your Espanol in at the door, cause aside from some of the providers, it was as white and English speaking as it gets. One guy comes up to a guy wearing a big Canada shirt and says, you're from Canada? Yes, I am, where you from? US. Sorry to hear that. Hah!

I asked who won the Chili cook off last year. My uncle says a Canadian... hmmm... Really, Mexicans let Canadians beat them in a Chili cook off? What's the world coming to! But the decks are stacked. The neighbor Frank says that there's a lot more natives starting tomorrow, Saturday.

They also had Mexican bands playing 60's to 80's rock. Definitely catering to the audience! Nice thing is that part of the proceeds go for charity, so even though you have to pay to get in, pay to enter the contest, pay to eat, at least the music is included and it's for a good cause.

Actually a pretty nice water park, but not open yet.

[​IMG]

No Chili contest today, that starts tomorrow. There's also vendor booths everywhere selling all sorts of nice quality stuff.

So that's a wrap for Jocotepec and the Chapala area. Clearly the word is out that this is a nice place to retire. As my uncle said, he could have gone to California but here the weather is about the same, mild all year round, and there's plenty of Mexicans just like California, but it's a lot less expensive! Yeah, his taxes on the house are just over $100/year... that's not a typo... Not a bad gig...

Going to head Southwest, to the coast, for a little change of scenery, for a few days, then will probably circle back Northeast, circle around Mexico city, and head for the Guatemala border. Exact timing and locations TBD.

[​IMG]
    crashkorolyk and roadcapDen like this.
  17. Veselko

Oddometer:
    Was just thinking. The other day when I got back from Guadalajara, I was just buzzing, hyped, nervous, adrenalized, not sure what the right word for it is. Being somewhere you've not been before, having to find locations, and then trying to escape the madhouse traffic, it's like all that bad energy rubs off on you. Maybe that's why people back in the states shoot each other in traffic. It only dawned on me after I got back and settled down, and noticed what a different state my body and mind were in. I guess in one sense it's a necessity, to have that heightened awareness when you're in the middle of it, and in a way it seems energizing, but I'm not sure it's good to be like that too often. That's probably the reason I don't like big cities and traffic.
    Drybones likes this.
  18. roadcapDen

Oddometer:
    Following from El Salvador.
    I'll be here until the end of February if you can make it by then, Cervesa's on me. (It ain't Canadian beer but it's cold) :photog
    Latortugaverde.com

IMG_20200129_174014.jpg
  19. Veselko

Oddometer:
    Nice! Thanks for the offer. We'll be on the slow train, probably in Guatemala around then. But we'll see how it goes.
    roadcapDen likes this.
  20. Veselko

Oddometer:
    Left Jocotepec behind and made our way to Cuyutlan.

[​IMG]

The two mountains in the background are Volcan de Colima and Nevado de Colima (12k and 14k feet). Visible for most of the ride down. Just huge.

[​IMG]

Four hours later and made it to this nice casita.

[​IMG]

Literally across the street from an endless beach, temps were in the 80's, so we wasted no time heading for the surf to cool off!

[​IMG]

Water temp was perfect, but there was some serious waves and they were breaking hard. Normally I love to go wave bashing but one came down on me and whipped me around like a rag doll. Never felt that much power. Honey didn't fare much better, so we both opted to stay this side of the break line.

[​IMG]

After a while went back in to rustle up some dinner, then came out to watched the sunset and the moonrise...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The town is not very big, so took a walk. It's obviously a tourist town, it's got some hotels, restaurants, vendors still out with their trinkets after sunset, a few street vendors selling food, but there wasn't a lot going on. Off season?... That works. Going to spend a couple nights here before moving on.

[​IMG]
    Drybones likes this.