Vespa Electtrica

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by rider33, Jan 8, 2018.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Actually ALOT of people understand how a computer works, you're just old.
    Tpnewsk likes this.
  2. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not the only old person here. Several years back I built several desktop computers. I played around quite a bit with software, with some success. But just because I could sometimes make it do what I wanted doesn't mean I understand how it works. Just because someone is an expert at using a computer does not mean they know how it works. And even computer repair places don't know how it works. They can diagnose hardware and software problems with more hardware and software, which they don't understand either. Take a microprocessor apart and tell me how it works. With mechanical parts, like ICE parts, you can actually do that. The parts are real. They can be felt, seen, measured, weighed, and analyzed in many different ways. Understanding how an ICE works is a piece of cake. So is building one, rebuilding one, and modifying one. I have a vague idea how some computer parts work, such as hard drives, optical drives, old CRT monitors, etc. but look at a motherboard, and you have no idea what you are looking at. There is no way to know what is going on there. There are no moving parts. Just because you may know the specs on a motherboard, and what other components it may be compatible with does not mean you understand how it works in the way you can understand how a gasoline or diesel engine works.
  3. redhandmoto

redhandmoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now that's an idea- tell a man, JerryH, who's straight from the dirty jobs crowd to read a book about the value of work? I say without reservation, that I know as much about the value of work as anyone, that's meaning everyone.
    I have another suggestion- drop them (the books) out free from drones into the ghetto and some hollers here too and see if some of the 25% of adults drawing disability checks can spread that good word around?
    "My working man's philosopher" is/was Eric Hoffer (The Stevedore Philosopher), not that I necessarily agreed with some of his thoughts.
    AZ JerryH knows more about some of this stuff than he lets on? :rofl
  5. davide

davide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is really no alternative for Piaggio considering that many countries won't allow ICE past 2030. The air quality is so bad in some Italian cities like Milan and Turin that the mayors are talking about 2025 within city limits. The downtown area of Milan is already heavily regulated as far as what vehicles can enter, when, etc. So these new electric vehicles are perfectly adequate for heavily congested urban centers. Where I live now (Elbert county, Colorado) anything less than a 300 GTS would be unthinkable. But in downtown Denver there are already charging stations and people are looking at electrical alternatives. Think of it this way: we still love our horses (I work with horses every day, that is my job), we house them, we buy feed and supplements for them, we employ people as ranch hands, vets, handlers, trainers, farriers, etc, etc., but we do not ride them to run errands or to work anymore. In a decade or so, it will be the same with ICE vehicles. There will still be a culture of them, but less and less will be used for daily chores. This first attempt by Vespa will eventually usher in a whole new line of eScooters and the ICE ones will be legislated out of existence. Just like the 2 strokes, the Euro 3s, etc. Of course, the Scandinavian countries and Germany will lead in Europe, with Italy being the "Fanalino di coda" (=tail light) as always to use a common expression in my beloved, but very troubled country. Ciao!
    MJSfoto1956 and gogogordy like this.
  6. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    So there's a new electric moto forum on ADV... should this thread and others like it be moved there?
  7. redhandmoto

redhandmoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:

read it then, have ya? think it rather reinforces and underlines Jerry's thought, ya know?
    kantuckid likes this.
  8. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    I'd sure like to see this stay here. We scooter folks are flexible and tolerant. And, this Vespa is certainly all about being a scooter. Just a different powerplant. I think we'll someday see a world where ICE riders and electric riders are able to hold hands and sing in harmony... and in the meantime, it is great to read about both HERE. As I mentioned on another thread, I think many of the scooter folks here are content to stay on this sub-forum rather than wander around. We are able to discuss stuff without getting too worked up about possible OT.
    Andrew likes this.
  9. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    'yup, I think so. It's more about electric in scooter applications than scooter alone, 'seems like a good fit.
    But will we still be able to go off on unrelated tangents?
  10. Andrew

Oddometer:
    I get it. Some electric scooter threads will crop up over there, and others will be more at home here. That forum will figure itself out, and is open for all who want to talk about electric powerplant bikes and semi-related tangents. There's room for both, the organic growth of topics at ADV has been a good thing.
  11. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Downtown Denver is full of 50cc scooters (or 125-150s with badges removed) and for those who live and work in that area it is sufficient. An electric would work just as well.

I'm surprised at how many 50cc scoots there are in Breckenridge - Summit County but except for Highway 9 everything is posted at 30mph or less (a lot are 15-20mph) . With the licensing in Colorado, no m/c license for a 50 and registration something like $27 for 3 year sticker I can see the attraction even if I don't share it since to me if I can't ride to Frisco down 9 why bother. ;) FWIW, the Derbi 150 we sold a few months ago could easily keep up with traffic going 60-64 on Highway 9 though I wouldn't want to take it on I-70 for that I'd want at least a GTS 200.

Electric will have their place but that place is going to be urban areas though there are several supercharging stations in Silverthorne put in by Tesla and 4 of the hotels have charging stations. Town of Breckenridge even has one free charging station. While over in Frisco the only one is at Whole Foods which seem sort of fitting. Sort of ironic that there will 60 more of the supercharging stations installed in Colorado with its share of the Volkswagen emissions fraud settlement in 2018. ;)
  12. dirtdiver

dirtdiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree. I just got back from a year in Naples- electric is coming on strong in that town. Less pollution and less noise. Gas is expensive also. I think it makes sense!

DD
    EvrythingAwesom likes this.
  13. SFCommuteRider

SFCommuteRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where I live most scooter riders commute less than 10 miles a day round trip. I’d like to see lower price versus longer range in an E bike. Plugged in every night means a full “tank” every morning.
  14. SocalRob

SocalRob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a townhouse down on Newport Bay and I keep an electric Duffy boat there. A huge advantage of the Duffy is its always ready, fuel never goes bad, never starter problems.

An electric scooter for around town down there sounds like tits.
  15. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of my negative memories of battery bowered vehicles was a boat. My EX wife and I went up north to a small lake, that does not allow gas motors on boats, and rented a small boat with an electric trolling motor. We only rented it for 2 hours. We got way down to the other end of the lake from where we rented it, and the battery went dead. I had to row the boat back to the dock at the other end of the lake. Got there just in time to avoid having to pay another $50.

I used to have a Yamaha Vino 125, and it had a 70 mile range. Sometimes gas stations can be few and far between in southern AZ. I often had to carry an extra gallon of gas with me to make sure I was within range of a station. But how do you deal with that situation with an electric vehicle?
  16. Lesharoturbo

Lesharoturbo Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Carry a solar panel?
  17. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    voltsxamps likes this.
  18. EvrythingAwesom

EvrythingAwesom Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks for this. When I was in Naples for two days, I covered my lower face with a mask from the 2-stroke pollution that everybody was riding .. everybody from teentage girls to gramma's, even up the surrounding hills.
  19. Andrew

Oddometer:
    voltsxamps likes this.
  20. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    I see your video and raise you two: