Vespa P125/200 Project!

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by JimVonBaden, May 5, 2019.

1. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Found an interesting project, hope the price is good. $750 for a 1981 P125 Vespa with a P200 motor with some extras. Plus a new battery and new tires, plus a lot of goodies. The electrical wiring is a bit of a mess from a theft attempt, and it will need a new cowl. It doesn't run, wiring, but has good compression and sounds good on kickover. One owner too! Good deal?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I can't start in earnest for a while, too many projects, but I will pick it up on the 17th, and get it running ASAP, so I can put around on it.
    chris a, Pezz_gs and fast1075 like this.
  2. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    Scooter! :clap
  3. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    An Italian Bumblebee :thumb
  4. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    The word Vespa means Wasp, so the original owner had it painted like that. It was originally silver.
  5. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    A Wasp cafe scooter? It'll attract the pin-up girls, a good fun thing. Pipe it, pump it up. Maybe a yellow/black checkered flag motif on the slash apron and engine side of the cowling. Cafe seat with a proper bum-stop. Loose the tail rack, maybe design a simple small tail rack that could be flipped over and stowed under the cafe seat.

Recess the taillight into the rear with a blue-dot center.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  6. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    The rack is gone minutes after I get it home. It has a pipe, and has speed gear installed according to the original owner. Colors are subject to future consideration. There is a cafe seat available that covers the tank access.
    [​IMG]
    vespa3.jpg 8c28e7f2c897ab9238fa99b59a8f5d3a.jpg DJyw7FLX0AEFxg0.jpg postadsuk.com-3-vespa-px125-douglas-p200-210-kit-animal-manchester.JPG
  7. Andyvh1959

Oddometer:
    The 60's vintage Vespas are for more cool than the square edged look of the late 80s models. But also, the disc brake upgrades on the front are way cool.
  8. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Mine is a 1981. I'm not sure if they are quite as cool, but they still have all metal bodies and spare tires, so cool to me.
    chris a likes this.
  9. Andyvh1959

Oddometer:
    Metal can be changed with a welder and a good fabricator. Would be a cool project.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  10. vanislejay

vanislejay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love old P series Vespas, they are dirt simple to work on and are super fun to ride.

The stock P200 motor is very bulletproof and somewhat tunable. You can easily get around 18hp (Stock is ~10) with bolt on components, which with the light weight of the bike will get you doing pretty fun power wheelies. You can go for the moon and hit around 30 + hp if you wanted to. Check the cushdrive rivets for play when you take the motor apart, that's the first thing to explode once you start putting gofast parts on. You can use the European wiring harness design and go batteryless which is really nice.

SIP in Germany is the tuning/parts mecca, their catalog is a great resource all on it's own. There are shops scattered around the US that stock parts. Also check out hotrod scooters in Fresno, Al makes some very cool custom tuning items.

Based on the pics:
    It has an auto oiler so you don't have to manually mix the gas and oil. I personally never liked this but they work. That hole in the top of the front fairing shouldn't be there. That exhaust is at best a Sito+ so a very mild performance upgrade. It has a european tailight which is a nice coveted item. That floor mat is super ugly, you can get the standard rails pretty easily. I can't remember the brand but the front shock is a middle of the road upgrade from stock.

Also, for the price, you got a nice deal, have fun!!
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  11. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are a couple of UK scooter sites, like SLUK and Scooterotica.
    There is a big german site too, in german... germanscooterforum.de or GSF for short.
    Much of the German tuning and improvements is for Vespas, but SIP and Scooter Center are merely the tip of the iceberg. LTH, Jockeys Boxenstop.de and GP-One.at (for the billet crankcases) amongst others.

Just for shits and giggles, Anglo/Italian company, Rimini Lambretta under their CasaPerformance wing have just announced the latest variant based on their updated crankcases. Called the Elite, and at a recent open day, one of the guys took parts from stock and built them up during the meet, and they dynoed the result. 56hp+ at the rear wheel in front of an audience. As I say, shits and giggles.
    I thought the 265SSR at 40hp+ was a bit bonkers. The Elite is a new crank and cylinder, and has more to come with fettling according to DEA, the designers (world class kart engine people).

In other news, just for Lambretta small block people - the Lui/Vega ranges. Rimini are working on bits for them too. A 135cc cylinder kit. Better crank, clutches, and a 5 speed (up from 3) gearbox. New electronics so will start, and a claimed fabo charging system that will actually run visible lights. Suspension has been addressed and while the hot set up is to use the much stronger wheels and brakes from an Indian SIL Sunny, these are rare as hens teeth. An expansion chamber exhaust is in the works.
    The Rimini crew attended a winter rally in northern Germany, actually riding a handful of converted Lui's over the Alps, across a frozen Germany from the sunny Adriatic. Complete with wheel high snow banks and freezing fog. Different permutations of the goodies were tried in this proving run. Found to be able to hold a cruise of around 60mph.
    These parts will I think fit all the small block variants, so the Cometa/Starstream too.

The news about all these is in the SLUK website. Along with a crazy stunt by Sticky Round + son to fit a Vespa small frame engine into a Lui - it is an aftermarket crankcase, so liable to be fitted with the usual 177cc kit. These can produce up to a dynoed 50rwhp.
    On what was originally a 50cc moped. A rather odd looking Bertone styled one, but still a moped.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  12. Pork Butt

Pork Butt Save the USA Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have to grow a douche knot and hang out in head shops. Then go to the farmers market and browse but don’t buy anything and then take long drags off a douche flute and blow big clouds of vape making sure you are upwind of the crowd so it slowly engulfs them alerting them to your presence.

Beard and sunglasses are optional.

SOP for the scooter crowd at VT anyway
    Z50R likes this.
  13. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Apart from the mod fringe with extra lamps and mirrors, maybe the odd fox tail, Euro scooterista are mostly about thrashing their Lammies and Vespas as hard as they will stand.
    Rallies and open days will provide burgers and other grease based products provide sort of temporary sustenance, perhaps the only beverage available will be proper beer.
    Both Lambretta and Vespa owners clubs organise trans continental rallies as well as a series of national rallies and annual events like the Coast 2 Coast dash.
    [​IMG]
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  14. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    I don't have enough hair for that, on top of my head! :shog
  15. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a BMW rally! :lol3
    nickguzzi likes this.
  16. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    LONG Friday drive down to Charlottesville to pick it up. Only about 250 miles, but took all day! :baldy

The little BMW took it in stride and still got 27 MPG unloaded, and 23 MPG loaded.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got it home and took some baseline photos.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Need to figure out what goes here, other than the horn and the horn cast cover:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Came with some extras:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What is this rack worth?
    [​IMG]

I think I have a problem:
    [​IMG]
  17. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    you got a lot of work cut out for ya.
    fast1075 likes this.
  18. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but it looks like fun! Surprising how difficult it is to find a vintage Vespa for under a grand that is not a total basket case.
    villageidiot likes this.
  19. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    Years ago they were a plenty, now not so much.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  20. villageidiot

Oddometer: