Vespa P125/200 Project!

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by JimVonBaden, May 5, 2019.

1. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    villageidiot likes this.
  2. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    Disassemble, media blast and see what you have. The frame looks to me like it will need some restoration. Hopefully the PO wasn't fond of cruising up and down the beach. We see a lot of vintage stuff completely destroyed that way here.
    villageidiot likes this.
  3. Bovino

Bovino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But that one owner didn’t give a rats ass, ey. That hole up front sure looks like it was done the Neolithic way.

Either ways, cool project!
    A few years back a bought a 54 km (!) showroom condition Vespa Ciao. Dragged it home, ripped the engine out. Threw on a big jug, all ported and maxed out rotary valve. Add a Tecno chamber and 22 mm DellOrto. Thing was a hoot round town :D
  4. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    is your vespa ciao the same as the US vespa ciao, meaning, dog slow, shitty 3 cylinder studs, and have to remove the engine from the frame to clean and adjust points?

in the US a vespa ciao is a moped (with pedals) and theyre dogshit and slow.
  5. Bovino

Bovino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, sounds about right :rofl

Mine was limited to 25 clicks metric. The rotary valve was easy to open up though. That alone doubles the top speed.
  6. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Actually, I think he was close to crying. He rode it to hos wedding 37 years ago. The damage was from a theft attempt a couple years ago.
  7. vanislejay

vanislejay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Under the front horn casting, in addition to the horn, there is also a small junction box that connects the switch harnesses to the main harness. It's very weird that that is missing because it mounts to the body, and the horn mounts to the plastic horncast. Maybe a very bodged hotwire attempt. They are extremely easy to hotwire though, infact most of the ignitions are so worn out that any other P series key will work.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  8. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    I do have the junction box, though didn't know what it was when I saw it. The horncast is in small pieces from the theft attempt. The key is basically useless. A screwdriver will turn it. It will be replaced.
  9. scot_douglas

scot_douglas Dirt Harley Lovin' Supporter

Oddometer:

I'm not sure - I can only see her feet.

:hide
    DRZ RIDER likes this.
  10. vanislejay

vanislejay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Racks and accessories are so abundant that unless they are period sixties pieces, they aren't worth much. That one is kind of cool and unique but I would say it isn't worth much. I'd hold onto it until you fins a local community of Vespa heads or something and maybe you can trade it for a bottle of two stroke oil or a part you need. For example I have sold almost all my vintage scooters, I only have one left out of probably 7 or 8 I have owned, but I still have about four racks in my basement.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  11. jogo

jogo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At least he might take comfort in the fact that it is in good hands now :thumbup
    Looking forward to see what you make out of this one. I just came back from a week in Italy where these scooters (old and new) are all arround. Hard to describe, but they fit just in naturally there.
  12. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    I hope to do it justice.

It is the same in Portugal and Spain. Seville is loaded with them. Great to see hot ladies riding them in heavy traffic with heels and dresses!
    [​IMG]
    jogo likes this.
  13. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Finally sold my last project, so have room to start on this one.

Removed the leg protector trim and banged the parts back close to original. Looks a bit better. Put blade connectors on the wires, only to realize that the OEM connectors are smaller than standard, so I ordered new ones in the right size.

Before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ready to make a substantial order for parts. Any recommendations?
    wee-twin, AZ Pete and villageidiot like this.
  14. AZ Pete

AZ Pete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    good start
  15. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    SIP (in Germany, but English available) in particular has lots of Vespa parts. Both standard and upgraded if you are dealing with the mechanical side. Would that be a viable import? By all accounts very reliable.
  16. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Put a little work into the scooter trying to get it to fire briefly, before I tear it down.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Carb needs work for sure.

But, no spark, despite power being where it should be according to the diagram.

I had to first put the junction box together. The green and black wires to the kill switch were initially missing. The green totally crumbled apart from what I can only assume a combination of shorting and corrosion.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ideas?

Also, looks like I will need a new headset.

[​IMG]
  17. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    It lives, and runs pretty good.

Turns out the old CDI was bad. The PO had a spare in the box that was falling apart, but I tried it anyhow, and it started right up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You can see the ground wire is holding by a thread! (Nearly literally!)

[​IMG]

Carb doesn't look good, but it sure works OK.
    scot_douglas and nickguzzi like this.
  18. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Removed the ugly rack, and cleaned the garage a bit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  19. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree that that rack is ugly...and i have the same one. I use mine about 10 times a year. Whenever i'm not in need of it, i yank it off and store it on the wall. It's a fairly stong design. I've used mine for hauling all sorts of stuff. One of the more recent things i carried on it was a 110lb Warn 8274 winch. With that much weight that far off the back, my PX200 wanted to pop wheelies everywhere. In fact i just reinstalled it again just yesterday. I use it to carry my BMX to the Monday night bike races. It's WAY, WAY easier to get through traffic on a littler scooter than on my big KTM...let alone my van.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  20. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    For big heavy stuff, I use the floorboards. I brought home four bags of cement like that. The roofing lathes I had to sling over my shoulder.
    I can even do the shopping using the under seat and topbox combined.
    Which is what Vespas and Lambrettas have traditionally been used for over many years.

I find it much easier to carry stuff on the scooter than the big bike. As you say, cutting through traffic in towns and here at least there are lots of dedicated two wheeler bays close to where you want to be be. Some places allow twowheelers to park on the sidewalk.
    layzrider likes this.