Vespa TransAmerica 1981

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by conchscooter, Jul 27, 2007.

1. gary5410

gary5410 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great story!!! :clap
    Gary
  2. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Amazing.
  3. dEAdEyE

dEAdEyE practicing retirement

Oddometer:
    That's what I call adventure riding!!Great fun.
  4. BeemerChef

BeemerChef Wandering Homeless

Oddometer:
    Love it... love it!!! I always remember those days... no GPS (I still only use it for the bread crumb trail!), no phone... NOTHING!... and I MISS them... at the same time... years have come upon me, it is now living on the road versus traveling and not a day goes by that I look at all this "stuff" and go... %$#@!!! Maybe we are too quick into compromising as the years have gone by... weather (:D ), comfort... convenience... I guess as long as deep down we can live with ourselves and a big grin... all is OK!
    I send your thread to a friend of mine "Steve Williams" who write "Scooter in the Sticks"... different eras... much in common...

Maybe some day... some day... we can go back those those precious basic moments... they do make sidecars for scooters!!!

Be well, and thank you... it is a "treat"...

Ara & Spirit
  5. Joyseeker

Joyseeker a biking sweetie

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

what a fantastic shot..... even this brit knows what is missing. :clap
  6. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wonderful report!
  7. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:

Are you kidding! Thanks for telling, great stories man, true adventure rider to the bone, thanks for the story and pics.

:clap
  8. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    I thank you so much for an inspiring story of reckless youthful endeavors; it truly isn't what you ride, it is the journey itself.

You reminded of 1975 when I just returned from 4 years in Europe (military) got to the states bought a brand new HD sporster($2,449) and took off across country....but your story is more inspiring, thank you.
  9. Southest US Thumper

Southest US Thumper Extreme n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Umm, would it be the lack of fact? According to google earth Key West is at 2661111.53 North and Ka Lae on Hawaii Island is at 2093126.26 North...

Awesome report! I had a '78 P125 around that same time when I was in college, now I got a ET4 that my nephew from France just put into a tree.:baldy
  10. nomiles

nomiles Sledge-o-matic

Oddometer:
    Outstanding adventure! great scans! :clap

Thanks for posting it. :thumb :thumb
  11. pitbull

pitbull Long timer

Oddometer:
    fantastic report.... I love the old pics...thanks for sharing them and your adventure.

BTW, I totally agree with your feelings on travelling as simply as possible. A tank bag, map, and a bunch of stuff rolled up in a plastic tarp strapped to the back of my Ducati monster is all I need for weeks on the road.
  12. GARider

GARider Wandering Thru Life

Oddometer:
    Great report.

Roger
  13. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    Hello,

Thats an incredible adventure you have shared. I still see a lot of vespa and recently i learned that Vespa is again coming in the market with its original designs. I have ridden many vespa's and other scooters infact many of my friends still ride them. There a few guys here who have setup up Vintage Scooter Shops. Those things are amazing pieces of History.

Thanks for sharing.
  14. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for an awesome report down memory lane!! Things were surely simpler in those days :thumb
  15. TheGeorge

TheGeorge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    superb writing.

fantastic photos.

great story.
  16. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are all very kind.
    I've said it before that being able to participate in this forum is a rare privilege, this is the company of riders and that is awesome. Be it a 1916 history ( that rings true to me) or appalling suffering in snow and hail, or monumental madness in gravel and mud, I love all the photos and stories of people getting out and about on two and three wheels. Even scooters!!!
    Cheers
    Michael
  17. MK96xj

MK96xj 100% Seat Time

Oddometer:
    Great report and old pics.

The romantic in me was hoping that you and the girl would have been married and living happily ever after.:crash still riding and not falling.

Very cool
  18. KneeDrachen

KneeDrachen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome report, have you read the book "Vroom With A View" by Peter Moore? It's right up your alley. . .
  19. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer

Oddometer:
    No kidding, and on my recent trip back to Italy all I found in my Kinder Eggs were Asterix figurines. Before I read the book I never really cared for the eggs either!
    On the subject of motorcycle adventure books I am currently reading "The Rugged Road" by Theresa Wallach. The story of two women who were the first motorcyclists to cross Africa. They used a Panther 600 hack, towing a custom trailer. (Which puts me in mind of modern Goldwing "RVs"- there is nothing new under the sun.)
    I rode the first half of their 1934 trip 45 years later and "Wal" and "Blenk" really were pioneers, and i feel lucky to be able to read them and be able to stand, short, on their shoulders.

Attached Files:

20. NomadRip

NomadRip Always a n00b

Oddometer:
    Excellent report! :clap