Vespa TransAmerica 1981

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by conchscooter, Jul 27, 2007.

1. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This seems so true to me, as I have read a few Adventures from the 1980s the last few days it really hits home. Thnak you for taking the time to post this great R&R.
  2. TaZ9

TaZ9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's great to see your report and several other retro rides posted on this site. Nowadays everyone makes too much of the motorcycle they choose and the "farkles" (hate that word) they add to it, rather than the ride itself. I have been riding for over 40 years and despite the improvements in both machine and gear, I do miss the simplicity of the good 'ol days when we ventured out with what little we had and eagerly withstood breakdowns and bad weather, just to feel the excitement of riding. Your wonderful report brings that same grin to my face even here at my computer. Well done!!

Ride Safe!

Taz9
  3. chazz

chazz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent love it:clap
  4. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am glad the old Vespa story resonates still. The lessons I learned on that trip have stood me in good stead, riding sailing and living.
  5. ERIC DN

ERIC DN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    me piace molto :clap:clap:clap

Eric
  6. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome..Awesome..Awesome.

I feel like such a wussy. The best I could do was in '77 me a buddy graduated h.s. packed up my '66 VW and hit the U.S. roads for 2 months/12,500 mi..

Your nostalgic ride has lit my fire to go find those old pix.

Thanks for bringing back a wonderful post.
  7. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd love to see the story here. We're all sissies until we realize we each do what works for us.
  8. Eagletalon

Eagletalon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Who said you can't do long distance travel on a scooter? Yes I realize this RR is over 5 years old but it was a nice read!

Later
    John
  9. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is a righteous report! Great stuff! Very important to remember that time waits for no one and it may just be better to get a bike and go than it is to spend years and years assembling the perfect set of gear. Thanks for the inspiration!
  10. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bump for an awesome report replete with the vintage pics.

Thoroughly impressed with the girl who rode with you. They are becoming more difficult to find.
  11. longrides1

longrides1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most of the time less is more, we get to caught up in the world and forget what really matters!

Nice storey and pictures.:clap:clap
  12. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great story.:clap:clap:clap Glad you posted a link to this because I probably never would have found it otherwise. It's cool to see the background of some of the Battle scooter regulars.

BTW, did you ever meet Beemerchef?
  13. Phipsd

Phipsd Older but not wiser.

Oddometer:
    This reminds me of the first long bike camping trip I made in 86. It seems that everywhere I went through Northern Canada, then south down the west coast and then east through the West it would be cold or snowing and people would say to me: " You should have been here a couple of days ago it was 80." I recall talking to a couple of bikers having a beer overlooking Stimson beach, it was chilly and they were telling me about the topless chicks playing volleyball the day before.

A few days later I stopped at the visitor centre at Glen Canyon Dam where the posted weather forecast was for 70 to 75 and it was 43 deg out with heavy duty hail.

I had a great nights sleep another night, it was so quiet. It was quiet because there was several inches of snow on my tent. Out on the Interstate, I was following a P/U in a snowstorm on an empty highway. He kept slowing down, so did I. I didn't want to pass. I had seen the bullet holes in the road signs.

Eventually, I couldn't go any slower on my WaterBuffalo and I pulled out to pass. They just wanted to see who would be so crazy to be out riding a motorcycle.

Perhaps the most memorable moment was getting Zapped by a bolt of lightening at Bryce Canyon. Well not directly, but the sound and the flash were together and I felt it. I was so startled I jiggled the gas and the bike went sideways in the sudden hail dump. I remember thinking: " Now is the time to panic." It was nothing compared to your trips, but it was 8000 miles of adventure and I recall it fondly.

I did learn: 'Don't trust charts that give average temperatures'.

I wish I had been into taking pictures; I was too into riding in those days.
  14. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well goodness, another story generated by my ancient thread. I stopped by to copy the pictures and find another fascinating old adventure. A two stroke no less. Great fun to read about, and in fact this was my first trip where I tried to take the photography seriously with a tripod and everything. I am so glad for digital.

Plus I have my own update. I bought a freshly painted 1979 P200 a couple of years ago and paid Scooters Originali in Allentown for a total restoration which was money well spent, wiring carb, clutch, cables etc...and now I have almost three thousand miles on another P200...

[​IMG]

Who knows what trouble I will get into with this one when I have it all dialed in...

[​IMG]

Cheers
    Michael
    xcsks, kenbob and td63 like this.
  15. td63

td63 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why have I never seen this thread before?? Loved it.

As I'm sure I've said too many times over on MV or in the Battle Scooter area, I bought a white 1981 P200 in the fall of 1982 after falling in love with them while traveling around Israel and Greece as an 18 year old. I had Grand Plans of touring with it -- bought it from a guy who had just ridden it two up to Idaho from the Bay Area and back -- but unfortunately got hit and totaled it after a few months.

...took me until 2018 to finally Vespa across country.

Been off the scooter pages to I hope you've healed well!!
  16. srileo

srileo dot Indian snakecharmer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Superb story, so well told! You have shown again that advrider and the inmates here are the best part of the Internet.
  17. davide

davide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bellissima avventura! Bravo, fratello Vespista!