1. eNewsletter Sign Up

VFR Thread, How many of us have 'em?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Chad_NC, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    What is the favorite tapered steering head bearing for 5th gen's and best price? I think I'm going to tackle this during the heart of the winter this year. Not sure I need to yet but with over 58000 I'll need to at some point.
  2. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Recalculating... recalculating.... HCMC-Vietnam :)
    Not riding much my VFR now, but still love it so much!!

[​IMG]
    Tbusa, davyjones, Tiutis and 3 others like this.
  3. ECN-ROL

ECN-ROL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You have discovered what a great bike the 4 the gen is. My 95 is probably next to a cb900f I owned for many years, the nicest bike I have ever ridden on a regular basis. The engine could use an extra 20 horses, but its linear power more than makes up for its lack, as it just keeps pulling. Its only downside is its weight. 40 lbs off would transform its handling! I rode an 8th gen recently. It was nice but not a great improvement in my view.
  4. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on your new VFR. That RWB scheme is beautiful!
    brentde3 likes this.
  5. brentde3

brentde3 Should be outside

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Glad to be back.
  6. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh the humanity! I've decided to move the VFR so that I can buy a Super Tenere. Anyone interested can click here.
    dustin2 likes this.
  7. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    It's a very nice 5th gen so I'm sure you won't have any trouble moving it. Good luck with sale and I secretly hope you regret the Super Ten and come back to the flock. ;) Just kidding.
    Achtung likes this.
  8. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. JBSmith

JBSmith Ink-stained wretch

Oddometer:
    Achtung likes this.
  10. Tiutis

Tiutis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Honda made few improvements, updates throughout the year but it pretty much stayed the same bike, from seating position to power to weight ratio. Did you think 8th gen is a faster reving bike than 4th gen? Not any faster, just more free reving?
    8th Gen is a great bike especially for what it is selling now. IMO, Its beautiful, smooth, low maintenance sport tourer.
  11. Rectaltronics

Rectaltronics Barned

Oddometer:
    The 8th gen seems tuned a bit more for torque and mileage, recovering the MPG loss and then some that owners experienced when going from the 4th gen's carbureted motor to the 5th and 6th, and it is cleaner burning now too. Steering seems more neutral on the 8th gen. But yeah, HP has been pretty much static.

You can pick one up cheap now, too.

I have the Deluxe. Got one after some idiot totaled my 4th gen.

I like the LED lights and mirrors, the ABS, the side cases, the gauges and styling, and compared to some of the intermediate generations the unlinked brakes.

Overall I'm happy.
    dustin2 and OJ-J like this.
  12. bykemike

bykemike "ready to navigate" Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of my ever improving Gen 4: DSC_0913.JPG
    Tbusa, davyjones, tiki01 and 6 others like this.
  13. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    Looking at Fuelly, it seems like most owners are averaging in the high-40s to low-50s in US MPG. That's really quite a big bump from the pretty much across the board averages of 38-42 you see with previous generations.
    davyjones likes this.
  14. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    I usually get high 40s to low 50s mpg (usa) on my 5th gen. That's with moderate cruising to the twisties and then some not so moderate pacing in the fun stuff.
    davyjones likes this.
  15. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    With my 6th gen, I see 34-40 on my mixed commutes, depending on the season. My fuel consumption is noticeably poorer in the winter months whether it's due to the 'winter blend' fuel, a lack of long highway trips or the fact it spends a much larger portion of my work commute getting up to operating temperature. On trips, I am comfortably in the mid-to-high 40s.

I tallied up all the 4th-6th gen bikes on Fuelly and over 3,000,000 logged miles the average was 38 MPG (US) on the dot.
    davyjones likes this.
  16. Kayaker

Kayaker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    New to Honda and to this forum. Just picked up a low mileage 2010 ZFR 1200F (being shipped - arrives in a couple weeks). Had many bike but this baby is a different animal all together. Has heli bars, throttle lock, new battery, tires and OEM side cases. Not a mark anywhere. Lot's to learn about this bike and intend to rely on this group for recommendations. Stay tuned and thanks in advance.
    davyjones and dustin2 like this.
  17. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    We won't believe you until you post a picture of the new bike. Just kidding! Congratulations
  18. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    da fuq's a ZFR n y r u here?

:hide
    Rectaltronics likes this.
  19. Rectaltronics

Rectaltronics Barned

Oddometer:
    Individual stories covering individual bikes are of limited usefulness as riding styles/habits and even local gas blends influence gas mileage substantially. For example, my conservative habits when riding with groups of similar bikes have me routinely getting better mileage than the riders in the group.

That said, my personal experience with a few 4th gens, briefly a fifth gen and more briefly a sixth gen and now an 8th gen, with no substantial changes in riding habits over that time, is that the 4th gen got noticeably better mileage than the fifth and sixth gens, and the 8th gen is consistently getting noticeably better mileage than the 4th gens did. And that' with the side cases on full-time.

Since current gas formulations have more ethanol then they used to, I suspect the real difference is even greater.

Next spring I wish to conduct an experiment without the side cases on and using ethanol-free gas.
    davyjones and dustin2 like this.
  20. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I consistently get about 44~45mpg and I think I'm 1 down,1 up. Are you saying the 4th gen got better than that and the 8th gen even better still??

My 44ish gets me just a bit less than 250 miles before I get skeert and refill. Last year I was out in NM/AZ and got 296 out of the tank but that was a lot of low speed 6th gear riding and coasting downhill. I'll never forget that night!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    davyjones likes this.