1. eNewsletter Sign Up

VFR Thread, How many of us have 'em?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Chad_NC, Feb 5, 2009.

1. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    Last year, I did a rather unscientific test with several weeks of 91 octane E0 and found that fuel economy was no better or worse than the 87 octane E10 at the same station. Perhaps if there was 87/E0 available, I may have noticed some difference. My bike definitely did not like the 91/E0 and lacked throttle response and was quite a lot harder to start in cold conditions.
    davyjones likes this.
  2. Subito

Subito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2001 VFR hated premium gas, was a bastard to start when cold outside.
    dustin2 likes this.
  3. Kayaker

Kayaker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hay Dustin2. I will post when it arrives. Looks like all the others though - Red.
    dustin2 likes this.
  4. Kayaker

Oddometer:
    I scrolled though a couple dozen pages of this forum and I see very few posts about the 2010 1200F. Is this the correct forum?
  5. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    This is more of a VFR750-800 ish thread. I'm sure if you do a search you'll find a better thread suited for the 1200, but you're welcome in here. You just might not get the feedback you're looking for.
    dustin2 likes this.
  6. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I'll be trying some Metzeler Z8's this time around and found them for a great price compared to PR4's. Note that they have 2 different versions of the rear tire- one being for heavier bikes that carry greater loads and that's what I decided to get. This bike isn't as heavy but I figure the rear will wear out at the same time the front does now.

Attached Files:

dustin2 likes this.
  7. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    Nice, I will be interested in hearing your thoughts. Metzeler is one brand I've yet to try.

I just picked up a set of BT-016 Pro after finding a $70 Bridgestone rebate. Looking forward to using some sport tires on the bike after 50,000 km of sport touring rubber.
  8. LudemJo

LudemJo Iron Butt Dreamer

Oddometer:
    I had Z8s on my 2015 RT, and they lasted 12,500 miles. I just swapped them out for the new Metzler Roadtec 01s. I hope they last as long. The Z8s were great, never had an issue.

John
    dustin2 likes this.
  9. Kayaker

Oddometer:

Thanks.

DrSteve
  10. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    Have you tried vfrdiscussion.com? There's a decent number of 1200 riders on it along with a lot of technical info.
    N-Id-Jim likes this.
  11. fireman1028

fireman1028 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve been a long time lurker on this thread and it’s time to ask some opinions from the VFR faithful.

I have decided that my next bike will be a VFR and it will be my light touring, sport riding, track day bike.

I have narrowed it down to 2 options.

#1 1998 vfr800. 1 owner 34k miles. Almost flawless. We agreed on a price of $2100.

#2 2007 vfr8000 25th anniversary
    2nd owner. 12,000 miles. Great shape with HELI bars installed.
    Problem is, he wants to trade my 2000 r1150gs, plus some cash.

I really like the look of the 2007, but I REALLY like the price, gear cams and one ownerness of the 98.

Thoughts?
  12. Guoseph

Guoseph Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really like my 98, but I also really like the rwb colorway. I haven’t read through this thread yet but plenty of 5th gen vs 6th debate that I won’t rehash. In case you didn’t know, the 98, 99 bikes were pre cat exhausts, some of us (biased opinions) feel those were the best of the best years ;)

Attached Files:

tiki01 likes this.
  13. bykemike

bykemike "ready to navigate" Supporter

Oddometer:

My opinion is the 07 anniversary vfr800 is sort of a holy grail VFR, I met a guy in WNC riding one with some very cool exhausts and suspension, the paint job...I don't know but it was a very good looking bike. ABS on all of them I believe. If you decide to pass on the one you mentioned send me the contact info on it, ok?
  14. Motopumps

Motopumps Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The '98 ALL DAY LONG.

I find the VTec bikes characterless. They may actually do some things better, but they have never stirred my soul and have been sold off rather quickly compared to the gear driven cam models.

YMMV-

Rob
  15. Subito

Subito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get the '98 for sure, that's an amazing deal on a clean one-owner bike.
  16. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    5th gen bodywork is pretty much unobtanium, so I'd not be using it for track days.

Don't know about 6th gen.

Apart from the track days issue, my choice would be the '98 5th gen, but I'm biased, being an owner of a 2000, in the bestest and fastest color.
  17. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    @fireman1028 -- I have a 6th gen and absolutely love it but out of the two you're considering, I would definitely go for the 5th gen. Finding a one owner bike like that, if it's in good shape, is getting harder and harder.
  18. ECN-ROL

ECN-ROL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes it appeared more free revving. At first I thought it slower than my fourth gen. But then realised that it free revving character was just misleading me.
    Yes it appeared more free revving, which gave me the impression that it was slower. I didn't feel that it had the torque of my gen. 4, but with it's free revving nature, who knows.
  19. africord

africord Adventurer

Oddometer:
    6th gen bodywork is very available. Specific colors may be tough. They were still producing 6th gens until the 8th gen was released.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
  20. christian

christian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi, new to this thread...
    I've just discovered. I have a 1991 VFR750 for sale with lots of good parts... unfortunately it doesn't look like anyone wants to buy it as is...
    so I am open to selling the parts separate as long as I get the stock parts in exchange... Ohlins rear shock, Twin Brother left side exhaust, etc...

let me know if anyone is interested.