1. eNewsletter Sign Up

VFR Thread, How many of us have 'em?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Chad_NC, Feb 5, 2009.

1. fireman1028

fireman1028 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can’t speak to how well it will work on a VFR, but I had one on my FJR and it was the ugliest damn thing I had ever seen.
    LuciferMutt likes this.
  2. JBSmith

JBSmith Ink-stained wretch

Oddometer:
    I have one on my Gen 5. The Convertibars sit me up pretty high, and before I put on the Lip the stock bubble might just as well have not been there for what little wind protection it provided.

It's not the most fetching accessory I've added to the bike but it does what it claims to do. Kind of a pain to clean the underside of it, though, without taking it off. Fortunately that's easy.
  3. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I get a lot of wind noise from the top of the stock windshield- will it diminish that? Also, does it help in the rain? Seems like the stock windshield places the rain right on my visor.
  4. JBSmith

JBSmith Ink-stained wretch

Oddometer:
    I wear earplugs, so noise was never a big issue for me, although it's always been my experience that no windscreen at all is always quieter than any windscreen.

Not enough rain riding on this bike to say one way or the other.

At the risk of getting a wrist slap from the mods, if you go to the flea market/bikes section you'll see a pic of my bike with the Lip.
    davyjones likes this.
  5. Baroquenride

Oddometer:
    It's a great looking bike and I'm surprised it hasn't sold yet! I do a lot of long distance miles on mine and thinking a Laminar Lip would help with the wind noise and reducing rain on my visor.
  6. UFO

UFO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't currently own one, but have owned two in the past (a 5th gen and 6th gen). Loved both of them to death for different (and also similar) reasons. Unfortunately the 7th gen was not what I was looking for, otherwise I would have owned one of them as well.

IMG_4891.jpg DSC00234.jpg
    davyjones, dustin2, OJ-J and 3 others like this.
  7. bykemike

bykemike "ready to navigate" Supporter

Oddometer:
    What year was the red one?
  8. Baroquenride

Oddometer:
    I really like the under tail exhaust on the 2000. Got any closeup pics of the exhaust or a link on how you did it?
  9. UFO

UFO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2002 with a 5th gen wheel running a touring tire (I had two rear wheels, one for sport riding, one for touring, would just swap them)

Wolf Exhaust. I don't think you can get them anymore. They are also prone to rubbing from the rear wheel. Not recommended for passengers or loaded touring (unless you have a beefed up rear shock).

Attached Files:

davyjones and Achtung like this.
  10. jethrocephus

jethrocephus His Honorable Right Minister of Flying Monkeys Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMG_1559.JPG

Put on my factory rear turn signals, rode 165 miles on a beautiful fall North Carolina day.

IMG_1558.JPG

New head bearings and rebuilt forks, rides great.....

Thinking I'm leaving on the Kerker, it really sounds good, only loud if you're winding it up...
    merc16, L.B.S., Skidmarkart and 5 others like this.
  11. V4V

V4V Adventurer

Oddometer:
    that's the rectifier and associated wiring on the 6th gen, the one reason i traded my RWB for the vfr1200 after it left me stranded 300miles from home.
  12. Baroquenride

Oddometer:
    That's what I thought it was too until he mentioned front left cowl. R/R is back left cowl. I can't remember what's up there in the front and it didn't quite make sense.
  13. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Recalculating... recalculating.... HCMC-Vietnam :)
    My 07ABS VFR is having problem with the brake. When I brake (no mater front or rear), the brake pads stay on, don't move off the brake disc. The bike still can roll, but I still feel the brake is holding my bike back. Damn!
  14. kc1081

kc1081 weathered traveler

Oddometer:
    Make sure you have brake fluid in both master cylinders. I had similar bizarre brake problems, that turned out to be low fluid levels.
    VietHorse likes this.
  15. africord

africord Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also check to see if rear master cylinder has slid down in the clamp. I had a problem a few years ago that my brake light was engaged all of the time. Its a two minute fix to move it back up the clamp. Keep in mind that your VFR has linked brakes meaning the footbrake engages both brakes, and does the hand brake.
    VietHorse likes this.
  16. V4V

V4V Adventurer

Oddometer:
    damn, i missed that detail... hope he gives an update, i'm curious as to what that could be now.
  17. fireman1028

Oddometer:
    Not much yet. A buddy of mine has it in his shop and is messing with it when he has a spare minute.

He turned the key on yesterday and it started smoking again. He was going to pull the tank and see if the fuel pump is locked up and causing chaos.
  18. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    I'm sure whatever the problem is will be relatively easy to fix and you'll have a long and happy experience with it afterwards.
    fireman1028 likes this.
  19. fireman1028

Oddometer:
    I hope so. I’m not too worried about it. I may go ahead and replace the rec/reg now, even if it isn’t the culprit.
  20. jethrocephus

jethrocephus His Honorable Right Minister of Flying Monkeys Supporter

Oddometer:
    fireman1028, was that the bike that was for sale in Greensboro, North Carolina?