VFR vs. BMW RT1100----seeking pros/cons of each!

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by blsexton, May 28, 2006.

1. DangerMoney

DangerMoney Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer:
    I have a K1200RS and a VFR. Bought the VFR after having the K for about a year. The K is the long distance bike with cruise control, hard bags, heated grips, blah-blah-blah. The VFR is my "go out for a few hours and blast throught the twisties" bike. Add Honda hard bags to it, throttlemeisters and a Sargent seat ( I added the last two) and it's long distance bike. Gets better mileage and has a greater range than the K. The VFR will pull hard but you've got to get it over 7K RPM (where VTEC engages) for it to happen. It's lower weight and higher pegs become apparent when you hit the twisties. I've unintentionally dragged the pegs on the K.
  2. gas_pig70

gas_pig70 Mmm... mud!

Oddometer:
    I'll 2nd the FZ1. At least try out a good used one before making a final decision.

[​IMG]
    L84dinr likes this.
  3. BeeCeeGS

BeeCeeGS WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer:
    If you want power, then a CBR1100XX might be worth looking at, too. I've got a '93VFR, and if I can ever wear it out (other than the suspension, which is sacked), I'll look to a '98-'01 VFR or a XX.

I checked the valves over the winter, and all were in spec. With one shim change in 174,000 kms, I don't think I'll ever bother checking them again. YMMV.
  4. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    I have my Evil Vtec in the shop for the first time ever- a valve inspection at 32,000 miles. This is the first time I've done it, and it needed one shim.
    :clap
  5. Kritter

Kritter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really liked my VFR, bought it new in 99 and spruced it up a bit...sadly it was totaled in 02...I still miss it...

[​IMG]
  6. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I had a 2001 VFR that I sold last year. I am now trying to buy another one. The guy I sold it to knows what he says and has refused to sell it back to me. Why, oh, why did I sell it!?
    My advice is buy a pre-VTEC VFR. One of the best bikes ever.
    This used to be my baby...
  7. Kritter

Kritter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep I'd take a pre-vtec over a vtec...more comfortable, gear drive cams...sweet bikes :)
  8. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    I've owned both, I'll take a Vtec over a pre-Vtec any day...Hey did I make a mistake and open the VFR forum by mistake:lol3

As for the RT or VFR issue. The RT is a far superior tour'n bike if that is what you are after. That be'n said, the VFR will of course take ya any place ya wanna go no matter how far, the RT will just do it in more comfort. Both bikes, with a good rider, will out corner most anything on the road other than a sport bike:freaky

For $6K you can buy a pretty new VFR; for $6K yur gonna get a long in the tooth RT.
  9. RedRocket

Oddometer:

That's OK. Not everyone qualifies to ride the Evil Vtec.:D
  10. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I also regret selling my '99. Like you, I offered to buy it back but the new owner refused :cry
    Had a now unobtainable Erion full exhaust system, ohlins, gold valves, etc....
  11. HMR71

HMR71 Significant Pickle

Oddometer:
    A few months ago, I picked up a '98 1100RT w/42K miles. The bike is in showroom condition and I paid $5500. I've put a few thousand miles on it and absolutely LOVE it (my KTM 950 is now collecting dust in the garage). Next week I'm leaving on a 4K+ mile camping trip. Best $5500 I've spent in a long time.

PS- How tall are you? I'm 5'9", 150lbs and the Beemer fits perfectly. I think it might get a little cramped for the 6'+ crowd.:dunno
  12. PawnBroker

PawnBroker Banned

Oddometer:
    Dood how tall are you? I'm 5'9" 180lbs with a 30" inseam and I don't flatfoot my 2000 RT even with a Sargent low seat. I don't mind, but just curious. BTW it is an awesome touring and everyday commuting machine.

Also, check out the BMW R1100RS, just as great as the RT, but more sportier with a smaller fairing and manual windshield. :clap

PB :thumb
  13. HMR71

HMR71 Significant Pickle

Oddometer:
    I also have a 30" inseam. I have the BMW comfort seat in the middle position. I can't flatfoot both feet either. I think the issue for taller riders would be the knee position from the height of the footpegs? Maybe longer legs would bump against the fairing?:dunno

I'd love to try an RS sometime.
  14. PawnBroker

PawnBroker Banned

Oddometer:
    Try putting the seat in the low position, maybe that will help you flat foot the bike.

I haven't ridden my RS since last season, but once I got on it it's hard going back to the RT. The bike is much lighter and easier to manage in city traffic, but the wind does beat you up more because of the smaller windshield and fairing.

One thing that I don't understand :scratch, is how is it that I can't flat foot an RT with the seat in the lowest position, but I can flatfoot the RS with the seat in the low position? Both bikes are supposed to be nearly identical with the same suspension, tranny, rim/tire size, etc.., so what gives?

15. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    RT must have a wider saddle for you wiseass, I mean wide ass.

Hey there, Paul.:wave

I just couldn't pass the opportunity.
  16. PawnBroker

PawnBroker Banned

Oddometer:

Hmm interesting theory, I'll have to measure the seats to see if that is the problem.

BTW who's Paul?

Well, my ass is wise and wide, so it's all GOOD :wink: .

17. PassTheGravy

PassTheGravy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In deciding on VFR vs RT, you should check on a couple more things: (1) mileage and range, and (2) insurance. Last time I checked, the VFR was classified as a sport bike, and insurance was much higher than an RT, and I think the mileage and range is less than the RT.
  18. gen

gen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd go look for a used Fazer 1000. Better bike than the VFR imho.
  19. RedRocket

Oddometer:

Your detailed ownership experience really shows in your descriptive pro/con comparison.
  20. DangerMoney

DangerMoney Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer:
    As long as you live in a cool/cold climate. The heat from the Fazer radiator is not to be under-estimated. I rode both and bought one.