VFR1200X DCT vs. Africa Twin DCT

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Jarrett2, May 30, 2018.

1. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
    We could dream about a CRF1200L2 DCT release?
    with shaft drive, cruise control, electronic suspension, cornering ABS and last but not least ...
    a manual clutch lever for all the 'DCT haters' :)
  2. MUDHWY

MUDHWY I Drink Your Milkshake

Oddometer:
    Technique with DCT? What gear?
  3. Jarrett2

Jarrett2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any trick to it? This one wasn't doing it easily.

To be fair, I don't care about wheelies or spinning tires. I want my bike dialed in so that when I launch I lose zero acceleration from either thing happening.
  4. Plane Dr

Plane Dr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nothing special just standard power wheelies. Run it up in first or second, back off, a good whack and up it goes. Manual works better for second so the DCT doesn't second guess you. I leave the TC on so I can chuckle inside my helmet but not worry about the LEO.

My favourites are the floaters but I haven't really played with that. My Z1000 would lift about 4 inches and bounce with the gear shifts. The VFR front starts to floats and as soon as it lifts the TC drops it.

I am a semi recovered hooligan... The 470 DRZ was an altogether silly bike.
  5. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    If all goes well this week, I might get to find out the technique.
  6. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    Well, I bought one. Fun bike. Lots of power.
    k1w1t1m likes this.
  7. fastnlight

fastnlight Repeat Offender

Oddometer:
  8. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    To answer my question in the OP, the VFR has the amount of power I was hoping for in the Africa Twin.
  9. olie

olie Long timer

Oddometer:
    is the VFR 1200 X still in production? ... or for sale in the USA?
  10. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    I think 2016 and 2017 might have been the only years the bike was for sale in the US. Seems like it kind of flopped here in the shadow of the Africa Twin.

They are definitely here for sale as dealers are trying to get rid of them. Here is one for for $3300 off and OTD priced:

https://www.hondaofrussellville.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=2853296&p=1&s=Year&d=D&sq=VFR1200X&vt=motorcycle / scooter&fr=xNewInventory

DCT version is $300 more.

If I understand correctly, the European version has been out since 2012 and there is a 2019 model. Not completely sure, but I don't think the model has been updated since 2016.

I do see on the UK website there are multiple colors and models of it suggesting it may still sell well there, where the US version is pretty much done it appears.
    MUDHWY likes this.
  11. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
  12. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    All that said, I like the VFR1200X.

But I'm still in the honeymoon phase on mine.
  13. MUDHWY

MUDHWY I Drink Your Milkshake

Oddometer:
    I'm going on year three of my marriage to one. Very happily betrothed. :D
  14. emidyl

emidyl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thats decent, actually even better at $300 more for DCT. No one giving deep discounts up here in Canada. I love my GSA, but given the right opportunity I could ride one of these for a while. DCT best out there.
  15. Cuttin

Cuttin Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. fastnlight

fastnlight Repeat Offender

Oddometer:
    Nice! Lately it seems to be a cool kid you just call your clutchless action a quickshifter and all is forgiven. Funny to see them slowly get the point.

Greg
    WeegieBored likes this.
  17. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had to bring my 07 ss impala to tranny shop.Issue is a 5.3 v8 pushing a tranny for a 6 cylinder. Tork converter blew in it.I talked to him about cv and dct tranny's. He has given up on fixing cv tranny's because replacement parts are junk and do not hold up or unavailable.The shop will not touch a dct tranny because when they mess up they are expensive and a pain to make work again. He said the biggest problem is the clutches and baskets wearing out.It is mainly because the clutches do alot of slipping.I am not against dct but have 3 friends with dct honda wheelers that are suffering shift problems as in not shifting.A big problem also is I would not even let most dealers change my oil beside fixing a complicated tranny.It's all cool until someone get a eye taken out lol.
    JeepDawg and twinrider like this.
  18. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I think it's also a mistake not offering a 6-speed manual option. A big part of the attraction of these retro muscle cars for some people is the visceral experience of rowing through the gears manually and they could careless if they could do it a half a second faster by pushing a paddle.

19. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today is not about skill it's about tech stuff.At least alot of this crap is still banned from mc racing.A big part of my experience on a bike is the visceral feel of it.If electronic stuff takes that away I will find another sport like killing wolves with my pocket knife lol.To each his own but some of this tech crap is killing a good thing.
    Amphib likes this.
  20. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's funny that the pic for this site is of a guy riding a royal enfield or old triumph and that bastard is most likly having way more fun on it than I am on my computerized bike.