VFR1200X DCT vs. Africa Twin DCT

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Jarrett2, May 30, 2018.

1. MUDHWY

MUDHWY I Drink Your Milkshake

Oddometer:
    You guys are just jealous. :lol3

"We fear that which we don't understand."
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  2. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I don't object to the DCT, just the lack of choice in a car like that.
    davidji and MUDHWY like this.
  3. MUDHWY

Oddometer:
    OK... I can live with that. :D
  4. Jarrett2

Jarrett2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1500 miles so far on the VFR1200X, digging it.

Haven't been on the Africa Twin since November.
    davyjones and MUDHWY like this.
  5. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    Glad you like it.

As far as the passing power at 80MPH issue with the AT, I don't have that problem with my AT DCT. How were you using the DCT on the AT? I wonder because that's how I might feel if I were in D mode (which I pretty much only use on neighborhood streets), and neglected to manually downshift. I mostly ride in S2 mode, and don't need to manually downshift--occasionally I'll manually upshift.
  6. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    S3, all the time.

The AT is fine under 80, past that it loses a lot of its spunk.

The VFR1200X does not have that issue, it loses its spunk around 120 :D
    davyjones and showkey like this.
  7. MUDHWY

Oddometer:
    The characteristics of the V4 in the VFRX are completely different than those of the parallel twin in the AT. When I was buying mine I went down to the dealer with the express intent of test riding both and making a final decision. In my case, I started with the VFR and then jumped on the AT. The test ride time was about an hour on the Viffer and 15 minutes on the AT. :lol2

For my application (mostly street) there was/is no contest.

8. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    I didn't full realize how much so until a buddy of mine on a AT DCT and I were sitting next to each other at a red light in a little Texas town during a recent camping trip. We had just dropped all our gear, set up camp and were going back to town to get some dinner.

I had no idea it was coming, but when the light turned green, he pinned it. I laughed and pinned the VFR DCT a second later thinking with that much headstart, I wouldn't be able to run him down before the next light.

I was literally shocked at how fast the VFR reeled the AT in [​IMG]

The VFR is so smooth, its hard to realize just how powerful that thing is.
    davyjones, James Adams and MUDHWY like this.
  9. James Adams

James Adams Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm with @Jarrett2 -- I had an AT previously; one of the main reasons I swapped it for the VFR was that the AT lacked grunt for higher speed passing. The AT has a good motor, it's just kind of mellow. This is an asset in off-road situations, but it leaves something to be desired on the street.
  10. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    It just needs a super charger....

Cuttin likes this.
  11. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was pretty gay.
  12. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    Quick update, 5,000 miles on the VFR1200X now. Loving it.

Sold the Africa Twin last week. No regrets.

I should have bought the VFR1200X first. Unless you like taking 500+ lb bikes into really technical dirt, the VFR1200X pretty much blows the Africa Twin away in every other regard.
  13. mzflorida

mzflorida Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The suspension...the only thing I do not care for on the VFR. I tried to get it dialed in with just no "really good" settings. Just ordered Hyperpro rear shock and front springs. I am pretty optimistic that it will greatly improve the ride. Other than that, really happy with mine as well with about as many miles as you have on yours.
  14. OUTLAND MOTO

OUTLAND MOTO And then suddenly....

Oddometer:
    This is a great thread. I am looking at an AT and a VFR. Both are about the same price. I spend most of year on pavement, but I take a couple of trips a year that are mostly gravel and dirt roads. The roads are usually maintained and not very technical, but can be “hilly”.

Here is my question. I know you can’t turn the ABS off on the VFR. What has been your experience with the ABS on gravel and dirt? Thanks all!!
  15. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    I've been pleasantly surprised with the brakes on mine off pavement. I happen to live near some nice dirt and gravel roads and once I got a skid plate, crash bars and Michelin Anakee Adventure tires added to the bike, I took it down those roads. I was actually surprised how well it did. That was basically the final nail in the coffin for my Africa Twin, as I put it up a few days later after that ride.

I've had mine on dirt and shallow sand in the Texas Hill Country, gravel roads in Arkansas in addition to my local gravel roads and it does well. It is really planted off pavement which surprised me a bit. I always used my rear brake only on my Africa Twin when off pavement, so I was concerned it might be an issue with the VFR, but was happy to find it was not. I'll still use the rear brake only off road with the VFR, even though it is linked, and haven't run into any issues with ABS or skidding the front tire so far.

Granted, I'm not flying this thing down a gravel road or descending any really steep dirt roads though. It's not the bike I'd choose to go over a dirt road mountain pass in Colorado, but there were a couple of steepish downhill sections of gravel in Arkansas as we were going towards Rich Mountain, but I never felt out of control with the braking at all.
    davyjones and OUTLAND MOTO like this.
  16. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    That said, I would go with something more aggressive than the Anakee Adventure if I knew I was going to be spending a significant amount of time off road. I might try the Mitas E07+ Dakar on the front next, if they have the size.

The Anakee Adventure rear is holding up well. I think I've got about 3200 miles on it so far and it is doing well. It was on the bike during a track day (which was a blast) and for 1200+ mile Arkansas trip and it did great. I'll probably run that as my goto rear tire on the VFR for the foreseeable future.

The front version of that tire is just ok to me. I will try some other stuff upfront next.
    OUTLAND MOTO likes this.
  17. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don,t usually bother turning my abs off on the back wheel unless i am hot dogging my AT.For normal gravel riding it does not bother me a bit.For your riding i would get the VFR.The AT is nice with the longer travel only if your planning on using it.I am 6'2" with 36 inseam.Even being tall the bike is more of a pain to get off and on.I would think the lower VFR would be more user friendly.
    davyjones and OUTLAND MOTO like this.
  18. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    It is. Not as top heavy, either.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  19. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If i did not need the extra travel i would definitely look at other bikes.I use the peg as a step just to make it easy to get on.Wife and me have a routine for getting on bike.Kick stand looks like it will need replaced one day as it,s starting to sway back a little from this.I injured my hip in a wheely accident in 96 that involved laying in the woods for 3 hours and throwing rocks at a bear lol.Not as mobile as i was anymore.
    Amphib and Jarrett2 like this.
  20. ki_ote

ki_ote Cindi Jo Admirer

Oddometer:
    Had both. The throttle on my Vfrx was so sensitive I couldn't hold a steady speed. Riding two up produced more helmet banging than any other bike we've been on. I installed a throttle tamer which helped enough to make it bearable. Then I was really focused on the terrible suspension. Most notably the inability to handle sharp lipped edges, which sent a jolt right into my spine. I tried a lot of adjustments, some of which helped the handling immensely, but none of which made the ride enjoyable over anything but smooth tarmac. The seat was horrific. Ergos so-so. It was a monster under 5mph.
    That said, I could ride it 4 hours and my throttle hand was still in love. That engine was a gem.
    Finally bought an AT in early spring and loved it until the temps went up and it literally would roast my inner legs and knees. Unbearable over 90 degrees for anything under 45mph and 15 minutes. Sold it. I don't like to ride with my knees hanging out like a Harley rider.
    FWIW, the wife liked both, except the head banging and factory seats.