VIA MEDITERRA - The journey around the Med with an HP2

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by kimangao, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Direktor

Direktor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great! :clap
  2. kimangao

kimangao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone,
    some of you might have doubted if I may ever continue this rr. But finally I'm back to it. So I hope you'll excuse my offtime.
    Anyway: Do you remember where we'd stopped last time? Right! Italy, a bit south of Rome near Mt. Vesuvio.

Not far away one of Europes famous coast roads starts: It's the Costa Amalfitana that takes kktos and me to a panorama spot close to Capri Island.

[​IMG]

We change the road for track that becomes, err ... a bit difficult. And sweaty, too. At least for kktos. Thank God I'm the photographer :lol3

[​IMG]

It's a bit rocky, but the tracks final meters make a nice spot for our hotel. The stripes in the sky are the stars due to the long exposure. The stripes on the water are from a boat going to Capri.

[​IMG]

The sunrise comes close to what I may call epic.

[​IMG]

The sonorous sound of the diesel engine of a fishermans boat finally wakes up. Almost romantic. Porca miseria! I'm here with kktos.

[​IMG]

Due to our empyt stomachs the way back to the road is a bit challenging.

[​IMG]

C'mon it's cappucino time and time to fight your fainthearted fears!

[​IMG]

Good morning Amalfi!

[​IMG]

These sunbrellas are lined up with gps-accuracy. No kidding: We've seen two gentlemen pitching them with a GPS in their hands. I wonder, how I shall circuumnavigate the Med without a device of this kind ...

[​IMG]

Hope you enjoy!

Cheers

Dirk
  3. kave

kave Gravel rules

Oddometer:
    Fantastic Photos again!
  4. AKMotorbiker

AKMotorbiker Searching for sanity

Oddometer:
    Welcome back... To your report! Fantastic as usual!
  5. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    It's good to have you back :clap

Keep it comming!
  6. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    About time you show up.........:clap:clap:clap
    Love your pictures, they are AMAZING :thumb
  7. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap

More, more, more. It's good to have you back. All those nice sunny pics do me good in these dark february days.
  8. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great to see you back with this report, Dirk!! Can't wait to see the means by which you cross the med, having been blocked for riding east from...where was it? Maroc? Cheers!
  9. kimangao

Oddometer:
    Your replies make me feel like having Christmas and Easter on the same day. Thank you very much!:clap
    ... and it was east of Morocco, Algeria, that caused some extra meters:wink:
    Read you later!
  10. SharkMan77

SharkMan77 Shark on land...

Oddometer:
    Great report and amazing photos...:D

I'm also awed by the 7 month gap between your previous post and this one... I thought that I would never see the continuation or end of this report :rofl:lol3:rofl

George
  11. kimangao

Oddometer:
    Amalfi was only the prelude of what Italy has to offer when it comes to beachlife. Especially on a weekend in the summer. These are the beaches of Salerno. Jeee! I immediately feel the wish rising to escape from these masses.

[​IMG]

And hey! Isn't that an alternative?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We make our way to the toe-cap of the Italian boot in peace. Windy roads, empty, too because everyones on the beach :lol3

[​IMG]

As the sun is about to set we reach Scilla at the Strait of Messina. Sicily is only a stone's throw away. The bottleneck between Sicily and Italy leads to enormous currents. Seamen of all times feared this strech and Odysseus gave birth to the legend of Skylla (Scilla) and Charybdis being monsters drowning those who pass here.

[​IMG]

Scillas beach is ready for tomorrows sun worshippers. We're ready for a sundowner.

[​IMG]

This place here is the beginning of a collection of oddities. First one here in our room for tonight.

I don't know if you have these water-taps where you live. Where I come from people used to have two taps: One for cold, one for hot water. Meaning your fingers will be cold as ice or burned. Now I thought the third tap will be the magic solution. We give it a try. What do you guess? All three cold! :lol3

[​IMG]

Second one for today: The heat makes the tar suffer. And those who don't care about where and how they leave there bike.

[​IMG]

This ferry, or shall I call it steamer, will bring us across the Strait of Messina to Sicily, the big heart of the Mediterranean Sea.

[​IMG]

See you again after our crossing.

Cheers!

Dirk
  12. pumpe3

pumpe3 lazy Swede

Oddometer:
    love your photos :clap
  13. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wonderful! Every day or so a new gem to discover here! Thank you thank you!
  14. Connito

Connito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Born in Bulgaria. Stuck in Boston, for now...
    :clap:clap:clap You are back!
    We are here:D:
  15. kimangao

Oddometer:

Same here :lol3 But you know how life is: While you try to follow your plans llife tells you to do something different.
    Thank you for you patience!

Cheers

Dirk
  16. luckychucky

luckychucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us along, are you going to catch the ferry from Ancona to Patra? Then I notice your going up the West Coast of Greece. What are your points of interest in Greece? I'm not rushing you out of Italy, wow, it's great, Love your good photos and videos. Lucky You!
  17. makad

makad P/T Shed Dwelling Hermit

Oddometer:
    Great Stuff Dirk. More of the same if you would please. :norton

[​IMG]
  18. nameless

nameless 100% recyclable

Oddometer:
    Fantastic report :) continue at your chosen speed :)
  19. kimangao

Oddometer:
    Nope, the plan was to carry on to Tunisia (ferry Palermo - Tunis). But there I'll be facing some new ... let's call them challenges :wink:
    But that's it with plans: Strategy replaces chance by blunder :lol3

Cheers

Dirk
  20. kimangao

Oddometer:
    Allright. Kktos and me have made it across the Straight of Messina to the Med largest island: Sicily. The island is dominated by Mount Etna, Europes highest and most active volcano. We're riding straight towards it.

[​IMG]

With more than 15Megatons carbon dioxide, Mount Etna emits a little more than my HP2.

[​IMG]

There's a road that climbs the volcano but we decide to check out some tracks.

[​IMG]

Another remarkable Mountain, Monte Cofano, towers over the Thyrrenian Sea and dominates the flat headland of San Vito lo Capo. See the bike? Nearly disappears in this georgious landscape.

[​IMG]

Palermo, the islands capital is of course worth a visit. But for now, in the heat of the day we're looking for some refreshment.

[​IMG]

This is why we head further west to Castellamare and the Lo Zingharo National Park.

[​IMG]

To me Castellamare is whatever I'd expect froma true Italian town. Grown over centuries like an organism and full of life.

[​IMG]

Wanna boat trip?

[​IMG]

Back in the 1980 a road was planned to reach the northwestern tip of Sicily the local residents were up in arms. The seven kilometers section of coastal road was subsequently designated to the Lo Zingharo Nature Reserve.

[​IMG]

Have a drink on me! Shot from inside the fountain of Scopello.

[​IMG]

Aaah! And that's refreshment now. Having a swim between the rocky islands of the Nature Reserve.

[​IMG]

If you remember George Clooneys "Oceans 12" this might look familiar to you.

[​IMG]

Sicily is a beauty. But as always there are two sides of a medal. The island suffered from its strategic position. Every power on the Mediterranean shores tried to control it. But also mother nature took its toll.

[​IMG]

Volcanic and seismic activities led to massive destruction over the centruries. One of the most remarkable sites is the village of Gibellina. An earthquake destroyed the village completely. What seems to be tiny pieces of concrete becomes much bigger as we come closer.

[​IMG]

An artist has rebuild the roads of Gibellina without the houses. A monument that reminds us of the real powers. It's an open museum and you can even ride through it.

[​IMG]

Kktos has to leave and I'll take a break on another island that is less known but much more important to some people like Silvio Berlusconi and Giorgio Armani. And no, its not Lampedusa. See you over there!

[​IMG]

Cheers

Dirk