Vic High Country - Day trips from Dargo route advice

Discussion in 'Australia' started by enookway, Dec 27, 2018.

1. enookway

enookway Are we having fun yet?

Oddometer:
    Yes, another which Vic High country tracks thread.

Planning a 3 or 4 day tour around the general "Vic High Country" area for the end of February. Probably not the best time of year but until the 3 of us are retired the annual leave planet alignment is nearly impossible.
    After picking track names out of previous threads on here we've settled on Dargo as a base for at least a couple of days. Plan is to camp at the pub and do day trips. Bikes will be 2 x 500EXC's and one 625SXC on full knobs and big tanks. Riders could also be described as full knobs but have ridden up hills before.

After staring at Rooftopos and Hema maps I've come up with 2 days of riding.
    Day 1 over to Licola and back. The Dargo/Licola route is one of TKs route sheets.
    Day 2 up to Blue rag and back.

Specific track list and a link to a googly map below, but the first round of questions is:
    - Any major river crossings to be wary of? Presume rivers will be at their lowest in Feb?
    - Any stupidly steep/rough hills in this lot or are they all reasonably sane?
    - Are these two loops doable in a day? Iv'e tried to make the trip home each day on what looks to be more open (fast/easy) going.
    - Any sights that are worth stopping off at in the area (ie Mt Murray summit)
    - Any suggestions for a third day? Is it worth heading over to Omeo and back. The other option was to up sticks and move to somewhere like Jamieson and do a day or two around there.

Day 1 Dargo Licola: Traills Track, Firetrail Tk, McDonald Gap, Lees Creek, Marathon Road, Scrubby Creek, Paddy Lee, Avon, Dolodrock, Hickeys Creek, Mt Margeret, Burgoyne Track.

Day 1 Licola Dargo: Tamboritha Road, Caledonia, Moroka, Dry Hills, Moroka Range, Pinnacles Road, Billy Goat Bluff, Kingswell Bridge, Conway, Gradys Creek

Day 2 Dargo Blue Rag Hotham: Gradys Creek, Hibernia, Mcmillans Road, Basalt Knob, Blue Rag down and back, Dargo High Plains road, Twins Track, Mt Murray, Twins Jeep, Selwyn Creek Road, Tea Tree Range Road, Sarah Spur, Brewery Ck Road, Randalls Track, Conway, Wonnongatta Road, Shortcut Road into Dargo

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CUyPUdr_x4MPzTTqsnmR-TegaFRiNtIr&usp=sharing

Many thanks in advance from the HC Jedi Masters
    AUSSIEADV and bigredroosta like this.
  2. jack82

jack82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You'll get more riding in than your planning for. e.g. It only takes about an hour to get from Dargo to the top of Blue Rag. You might be better off just winging it and go exploring. There's a good mix of easy and hard tracks everywhere. I've been riding up there the last couple of weeks. The main roads are like freeways at the moment.
  3. jack82

jack82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Err.....I fucked up....(saw your route after I posted) Thought you were just going up the High Plains rd to Blue Rag.
    The route you've got will be a good fun ride.
  4. fifthgear

fifthgear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The tracks you are doing days 1-2 are great hard tracks the Pinnacles has a great lookout . On 3 day Upper Dargo, Jones rd Baldhead rd (Brookville), Mt Delusion , Kangaroo trk, Bald hill crk rd (Omeo) Back - Upper Livingstone crk rd, Berregun rd, Jones rd, Upper Dargo rd (Dargo) . Their is a track called Haunted Stream tk which has 30+ water crossing never done it but on the to do list, it will be dusty, midweek less tintops you have a ball cheers Terry
  5. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Licola and back will be a big day.

Your Blue Rag trip will be a beauty ut give Hotham a miss and the High Plains rd. Twins Jeep is a must. Make sure you have your camera running. Do the full length. You can come back to Selwyn. Alot of Selwyn/Tea Tree is a ‘transport section’. There is an upper track. Make sure you take this.

If you are going to head to Jamieson, well awesome. I do this at least once a year. Ill look up the route i do and post it for you. Brilliant ride. Ill look at the day 2 as well as there is a better couple of sections.

Time of year is fine. No difficult hills in all that. Rivers will be low.
    enookway likes this.
  6. enookway

enookway Are we having fun yet?

Oddometer:
    Thanks @AUSSIEADV . If we get into Licola a bit too much after midday, Whats the quickest way back to Dargo: Tamboritha Road, Moroka Road, Billy Goats, Wonnongatta Road?
    Not that its a lot different from what I had planned but takes out all the side tracks.
  7. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wonnongatta rd all the way down to Short Cut is a long way, faster to get to Dargo via Conway etc as you described earlier
  8. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Dargo/Blue Rag.

Head up the Upper Dargo. (Dont go down Jones rd/Madigans bridge.) So up to Stock Route tk. River crossing there but wont be deep. Out onto Birregun rd turn right, left into Murdering Spur down to Dane tk. Check out Camms Top Place. Double back up Dane tk to the Birregun rd where you turn left down to Stock Route tk again where you cross the river on to the Upper Dargo, turn right. Short distance to Harrison cutting. (Water diversion for gold mining). Double back a little then a right up Matheson Spur/Downey Rd. Left down the High Plains Rd, turn right into the Grant rd. Vere left in to Bulltown Spur tk then with 700 odd metres keep to the right going down Bulltown. It crosses over McMillan rd but keep going down Bulltown to Stonewall where the Crooked river crossings start. Straight through to Talbotville for a break otherwise turn up South Basalt Knob or Brewery Creek out the other side of Talbotville. South Basalt to Basalt North left into Blue Rag. I wouldnt bother going beyond the Trig. Double back along Blue Rag to the Basalt North continuing to the High Plains Rd. Turn left and take it all the way out to the Alpine Hwy. Here at the Mt St Bernard junction up to the left is the start of Twins Tk. Take this to the Mt Murray turn off and up there if you want a look. Nice up there also. Back down to Twins turning left. Along here to Twins Jeep. All the way, over the main rd to complete Twins Jeep past Dingo Creek tk. It comes out on the Mt Selwyn Rd. Take it up to Tea Tree. Look carefully along here to left and youll see a track vere to the left. This is so much nicer than the main dirt rd but brings you out at Mt Sara not long before Guys hut. Take Tea Tree all the way down into Pioneer Racecourse, right up Station tk, left along Cynthia Range, down Cynthia Spur. Randalls tk to Gradys Ck tk out onto the High Plains rd to a beer or three at the Dargo.

Ok, its a big day but doable if you give yourself time and ride efficiently. You can drop the east side of the High Plains rd ie upper Dargo if you think youll run out of time. Something you can consider on the third day including Haunted Stream. Not alot out that way.

Painful just writing about it. Hopefully i can get my foot in a boot soon. The only thing stopping me getting on the bike.

It is busy this time of year up through there. Personal experience is 97% of people through there are good...real good. Keep to the left and plenty of room on bends. The High Plains rd is not only busy but they can hoot along there pretty quickly.

Im envious!

Ill have a look at the Licola side this arvo for you plus ill give you a brilliant run from Dargo to Jamieson i do every year.

Al.
    Dakar Dan, GodSilla, richo360 and 2 others like this.
  9. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's an awesome route!!!! Pack some pain killers - your smile muscles are going to be killing you!

Happy Snapper and AUSSIEADV like this.
  10. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    I hated writing it!
    Dr AT likes this.
  11. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    I don't suppose you have a gpx or kmz of this Al?

:bow
    Hoots likes this.
  12. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    A what what what??? :lol3
    Brute, BygDaddee and Dr AT like this.
  13. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Youll just have to follow me one day Steve!
    BygDaddee likes this.
  14. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    I look forward to that day, but one that is cooler than the current ones.
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  15. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Maybe take some spare brake fluid for a daily change. Some of those downhills can boil your brakes, rears particularly. Be ready for blue discs.
    Dee Cee likes this.
  16. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    Blue discs and some boiled fluid yesterday. Not my fluid but fluid.
  17. Dakar Dan

Dakar Dan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you on rec. reg or road registered bikes, Ian? That may change the viability of some link sections. A base at Licola could be another option with plenty of tracks in that area. No pub but a campground, river, store and fuel (diesel & unleaded).

If you do Blue Rag from Dargo in the morning, an arvo trip from there could include Sugarloaf track, just down the main road from the Mt St Bernard junction (great views from Mt Buckland). From there, you can go & play on Gunns, Paddy's Hill and Demon Ridge tracks and maybe duck down to Harrietville & back along the West Ovens Tk. for a cold one.
  18. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    From NSW so would be assuming no rec reg.
  19. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    There is some nice riding in the back of Harrietville/Bright. Thats why a camp in the Buckland Valley makes sense. Brilliant riding not far from Porepunkah and Bright.
    Dakar Dan likes this.
  20. Dakar Dan

Dakar Dan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I know. 'Twas merely a heads-up given the suggestion of an ex-Vic rider on full knobbies. Just thought I'd mention it as the entire Jamieson-Licola road is now on the no go list for Rec Reg bikes from Vic Roads. I've heard that the Dargo coppers take a dim view of rec rego ridden in town there, too.