Victorian dirties (Berg FE570 for the high country)

Discussion in 'Australia' started by AUSSIEADV, Jul 18, 2016.

1. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Its a cool SEQ morning

08C839B1-7437-480E-9A08-078143AB501A.png
    Blakduk, AUSSIEADV and Dukehunt like this.
  2. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heated gear is sensational - one of the very few things you'll try that really are a game changer

Where were these pics taken … ?
  3. ToriMish

ToriMish Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glenelg River Road - near the Chimney Pots - Grampians.
  4. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
  5. Camel 640

Camel 640 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DSC_0007.JPG DSC_0004.JPG DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0006.JPG Took advantage of the break in the weather, took the mini bike for a run around the back of Mt disappointment
    Western break track ---Quarry Rd ---stoney Creek Rd.
    Tracks where great all the gravel had been washed off and the clay was 95 percent dry just with the usual puddles and cut up area's from the 4x4 s
    Just made it back after 4 hrs and 230 ks before the big dump
    Ron50, ToriMish, Kiwirich and 8 others like this.
  6. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    1566187368878.jpg 20190819_134602.jpg 20190819_130124.jpg
  7. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    So before I get too much older I want to do a ride around the high country on my 501 for a week or two. Just riding, no other nonsense (except bakeries and drinking).
    My sum total of knowledge is: I've got a free bed at Traralgon, (not that I have to stay there, don't even know how far it is from the bush) but I suspect that @AUSSIEADV rides from the other side near Beechworth. Oh, and I did go to a wedding reception once at Rawson (2007?), and I was more interested in the dirbike riders that turned up next door after riding all day. Certainly that NW corner means less driving.
    If I was to camp at a (preferred) country pub or on-site van / cabin near to a pub/food for a week or two of riding (having trailered down from Qld), does anyone want to chime in with any suggestions of where might be a good place(s) to base myself. (I don't want to sleep in a tent or cook for myself much - except maybe an overnighter or two)
    Not sure if I'm going by myself or with a mate or two. I've got a 300 km range + bladder, mainly ride by myself, and can ride well enough that I can go anywhere that anyone else can. (logs, hills, hardcore etc)
    @BygDaddee
    AussieAdv, pls feel free to put up a shit-tonne more photos!!!
  8. bigborett

Oddometer:
    Woods Point is great, but not much good for a long stay(food, fuel availability).
    I would suggest jamieson or Dargo as a base. Dargo hotel is great, there is varied accommodation available in town, pub, houses, bunk, your pick.
    Jamieson has similar services, a little larger and not quite as remote. Pub is not as good but plenty of rooms.

20190504_132645.jpg 20190504_120131.jpg
  9. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    mmmm remember i was a high country virgin 2 years ago so an amateur compared to those who gave me advice here
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/chasing-route-advice-for-short-trip-vic-nsw-high-country.1273155/

But if it was me under the conditions you mentioned and as per BBT Dargo and Jamiesin would be high on the list, i would also consider Porepunkah, i based myself in the cabins there for 4 days once. Straight into the buckland valley and choices are endless. And an awesome motard run to Hotham or Buffalo for a sunset.

The other thing i would do is be prepared to overnight at another place one night without checking out of your cabin/pub, ie just carry a set of overnight pub clothes one day, that would open up your ground traveled a lot, you could use Dargo, Jamieson, or even Omeo as that overnight point.

Another option for that overnight is to do a bit more longer distance faster stuff ( mostly dirt) to cross to NSW Jindabyne or close to it accross Barry Way and Back and other various dirt rds.
    Dukehunt and Ron50 like this.
  10. Blakduk

Oddometer:
    Thank you, I will go through that thread from start to finish. If I had remembered it, I would have posted there, sorry.
    Great advice about the overnighter, that sounds like a great plan.
    Also the longer faster stuff to cross. I like the fast dirt roads and doing some big miles as well!
  11. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    If you run into an old bloke with a limp using a wipper snipper in a realiy obscure place, that will be Al :lol3

Yep i can give you a great fast all day ride GPX limestone rd, mckillops bridge, barry way to Jindy, and probably another way back :D

563CCE55-F9B4-49A7-B238-34030D16CD4F.jpeg
    0985A0D5-7D55-4427-BAA6-62988D3ACE1B.jpeg
    7E5160D8-32DF-4C26-8EF2-73025D8DDC5F.jpeg
    B631E969-AF89-492D-9C2B-8DC0695EBA2F.jpeg
    F68BC79E-7235-4821-8C39-6F8F49CCA126.jpeg
    C59460FD-AB94-4925-85FF-05F255C54B0B.jpeg
    Dukehunt, LivingdeadCamo and Kiwirich like this.
  12. bigborett

Oddometer:
    If you want a nice fast run, Dargo to Omeo past the Dog's Grave, or visa versa, is fun through great country. Can really get the blood pumping at speed. Throw in Stockyard Route Track for interest and shaving off some boring stuff.
    Did it in under an hour on the 1190, was a blast.

Was all under controlled conditions of course.
    Dukehunt and BygDaddee like this.
  13. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't overlook Licola or even Cheynes Bridge trail bike area if you're trailering the bike down.

And of course seasonal closures are in place until after around Melbourne Cup time.

Burgoyne Track and the climb from the northern end of Mount Margaret Track would be my pick if you want a steep challenge.
    BygDaddee likes this.
  14. Blakduk

Oddometer:
    What is a good time to go? Summer would be milder than Qld. Obviously winter is no good.
    BygDaddee likes this.
  15. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Best to avoid just after the tracks reopen so that all the 4WD people get a chance to clear the fallen trees for you. Otherwise it's all good. And there are so many great swimming spots to cool off in the really hot weather.
  16. bigborett

Oddometer:
    Don't underestimate how hot it can be in summer and the dust if you're with others. Some of the tracks and roads will get very loose in summer also. Avoid long weekends during the warmer months.
    Late spring and Autumn would be my pick but anytime can be good.
    Dukehunt, Kiwirich and BygDaddee like this.
  17. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    later March/April/May my pick
  18. Blakduk

Oddometer:
    So now I'm going shopping for a bike carrier. Towing the trailer would just about cost that much extra.
  19. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, Porepunkah is a good spot with cabins, Whitfield is another, Little River Inn at Ensay, the Blue Duck at Anglers Rest, the Bruthen pub, ColacColac caravan park, Jingellic pub, they are all good. Like Ron says most tracks re-open after Melb. Cup but it pays to check with DNRE or whatever they’re called this week.

Workshop if you need it Ducky, a beer and a spa to cool off in after our mild summer days. :) There’s been a few second hand carriers on bookface, Adventure bikes and gear page. What bike are you bringing down? You don’t need massive fuel range but be warned sometimes a planned fuel stop either will be shut for some reason or they’ll be out of fuel. I’ve had that at Harietville a couple of times and also Swifts Creek.
    Dukehunt and Blakduk like this.
  20. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Threee options...Dargo, Dargo and Dargo!
    bigborett likes this.