1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Victorian dirties (Berg FE570 for the high country)

Discussion in 'Australia' started by AUSSIEADV, Jul 18, 2016.

1. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Maybe by then Moose?
    mrsdnf likes this.
  2. DARK-SIDE

DARK-SIDE Fringe Dweller

Oddometer:
    That's great news Al but I'd take it a bit easy with that fancy foot work :lol3

I'm really hanging out for the border to reopen, I'll be packing the swag & heading south....
    AUSSIEADV and Hoots like this.
  3. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Started porting the head for the 610. Doesnt look much but a fair amount of material taken from the valve guide bosses. I need to remove the valves and do the ‘bowls’ and attack the guide bosses from the chamber side. Blend in the valve seats. Ill relieve from around the valve in the chamber as well. This will lower compression so ill get 8thou taken off the barrel base. A 3 angle valve gob will be done. Poor picture. Typical of phone pics. Theyll look better as i progress. I cant walk ATM so its a going to be a difficult task removing the valves. I have time on my hands.

5141C8DE-3371-42CB-B857-7CE20DCC63E0.jpeg
    DeLewis, Hoots, Kiwirich and 2 others like this.
  4. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rang your mate Clint, he’s on the hunt for what I need. I reckon it’s had a recent rebuild as the bore still has crosshatching, the piston is 1st oversize and looks new, aftermarket rod and bearings are all good but the head is a different story, original valves, springs and cams which is what’s causing me the problem. One inlet valve is leaking. Because of SWM parts are available for Italian Huskies, BMW ones are trickier apparently, but as you know mate all this shit has caused a shortage and it’s looking like if Clint can find the bits I’ll be reaching deep to pay for them. If it wasn’t such a good bike I’d be parting it out but it’s a peach to ride, a 450 with 45 neddies that weighs 100kg adds up to a bike I can ride all day, the 525 kills me then pisses on my broken body and laughs. I’m hoping Alice gets tired of her “slow” 250 and moves up, that little thing is so easy to ride.
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  5. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    If you need head/engine machining, get Clints mate in Wang to do it. Does great work cheap. He’ll be getting the head above soon.
  6. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Valves cant be dressed? Cams no good? Maybe a used SWM head? What year is that TE?
  7. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ti valves. Needs new springs, cams look a bit worn and if I’ve got it apart I may as well freshen up the lot. It’s a 2010. Unfortunately also Alice kicked the container I had the cams and bits in, and lost the spring for the auto-decomp. I’ve rung a few bike wreckers and heads are hard to source, it’s a TXC so a bit different from the TC or TE.

I was going to get Dewars to do the head job, I’ve had a few done there including an extremely hard to replace 903 Abarth head for the little coupe, but I’ll ask Clint about his mate. He’s a knowledgeable chap and bloody easy to deal with.
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  8. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    I was able to remove the valves today as i made valve spring compressor. Ugly bluddy thing as thats all i could make being in a crutched state. Worked bluddy brilliant.

Cant blow it out as the compressor is too far away.

Grinding always looks dodgy in photos, but it is coming out well. So good being able to sit on a bar stool at the work bench and do some porting.

54CE20DB-09AE-4069-B7EB-65BEEDC650F1.jpeg
    BergDonk, mrsdnf and Bluetonguejak like this.
  9. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got a long-suffering 372XP you could one day work your magic on
  10. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Hoots, Cruz and mrsdnf like this.
  11. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Dug the 390 out today and rode to the servo and filled it up. Been thinking of moving it on, but ended up going for a bit of a ride and put it away again.
    BergDonk and AUSSIEADV like this.
  12. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Here you go Al, this should get you around the place safely from now on.
    Screenshot_2020-10-10-00-38-02-85.jpg
    And it's part KTM so you will be fine!
    Screenshot_2020-10-10-00-38-19-81.jpg
    Paul124ac, AUSSIEADV and BergDonk like this.
  13. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
  14. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Impressive ...

Noticed you've also got old (10yo) vids of the Chinese Husky clones

How have they panned out over the years?

I love the 372XP, but it's done a lot of work - will have to either overhaul or replace it soonish - can't help but be a bit intrigued by things like the Baumr-Ag SX82 - ostensibly identical to the 372XP (parts apparently interchangeable) - currently just $219 from Edisons - Husky's server is down today, but expect something of equivalent spec (372 no longer made) would be about $1800

[​IMG]
  15. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Hoots likes this.
  16. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Price of these things is pretty amazing
  17. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    My Chinese copy has been brilliant. Its now 77cc and has been ported all these years. It has done a mountain of hard work and has never missed a beat even with the Chines carb.

The saw in the vid above is running a Stihl piston and modified to run one ring.

I havent seen these red n white Chusky’s before. Interesting. So 82-84cc?

Sam, just give that 372 a new piston kit.
    BergDonk likes this.
  18. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    A bit more on the head. Inlets done. Unshrouded all valves and blended in at the valves seats in the combustion chamber. They were a little recessed. Now on to the exhausts.

95CC0383-0A58-4DD6-A618-F328A691C14D.jpeg 8C86C93C-35FF-4D73-896D-0191C5355D06.jpeg
    Cruz, mrsdnf, Kiwirich and 1 other person like this.
  19. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Once bat flu is back in its box, I should probably schedule a little trip down to beautiful Beechworth ...
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  20. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Hey Al, what is the widest profile tyre you have used on the rear of your Berg's?
    Any chance that a 140/80 18 would fit in the swingarm? I am thinking no.