1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

Victorian dirties (Berg FE570 for the high country)

Discussion in 'Australia' started by AUSSIEADV, Jul 18, 2016.

1. ToriMish

ToriMish Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beta, of course!
    DeLewis and Paul124ac like this.
  2. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you can find a KTM380exc that hasn’t been rooted with they are fucking fantastic for punching you in the face, that’s what I expected the 300 to do.
    DeLewis likes this.
  3. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Paul, its the whole idea of a 300cc over the 250cc. You'll find the 250 more 'racey' while the 300 is tamer across the rev range. You'd be surprised how quick the 300 really is. They have more torque than the 250. There is a good reason why they run the 300's in the extreme enduros. Also you can play with the power valve springs.

I find the 2T's more fun to ride where the 4T's are more versatile. Give me a 2T any day as a local trail hack.
    DeLewis, mrsdnf and Hoots like this.
  4. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    They certainly do Viktor. Look at a mid 20's KTM 300. Mass amount of spares etc and you will pick up a real nice one within your budget. With your ride ability you will love it.
    DeLewis likes this.
  5. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    The 360 was the pick as it still had the linkage rear end and Ohlins suspension.
  6. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was the 360 ADR? And I fully understand the 300 equation mate, I have a 250 and 450 of the same year, frame, suspension etc and real world I’d prolly be quicker on the little banger, but I’m a lazy shit who hates changing gears and also likes a punch.
  7. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Yeah was mate.

"hates changing gears and also likes a punch" Sounds like Leanne. Whacking me all the time and thinks the car is an auto!
    Paul124ac likes this.
  8. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most of them .
    DeLewis likes this.
  9. bigborett

Oddometer:
    My favourite motor in all my bikes was probably my '98 Husky WR360. Hugely versatile.

Ride it like an XR600 or when you want to get excited it turned into a MX'er.
    Loved that motor. Moved to a YZ 426 after that which was the biggest heap of shit I have ever owned, worst motor of them all. I even liked the Hondas I had better than that rubbish.

A 2000 WR 360, if you could find one, would be a nice thing. Good boingers too.

They have slowly been removing the fun factor from two strokes for years, more rideable but less fun.
    DeLewis and Paul124ac like this.
  10. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don’t know what Yam did to that four and a quarter motor between it bursting on to the MX scene and cleaning up to arriving on the showroom floor. To say it was doughy would be unkind to bakery products. It’s only saving grace was it detonated early on in ownership and allowed you to buy the brilliant four and a half.
  11. bigborett

Oddometer:
    Actually, my 426 was a harsh angry sort of thing, but not in a nice way. Just never felt nice to ride.
  12. ToriMish

ToriMish Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love the modern 2-strokes. My 300RR can be ridden on the pipe, which always excites . . . or lugged around gently in tricky terrain.

The ease of tuning via the power-valve (allen key access) lets you set the bike up just how you like it.

20200204_141050.jpg
    Dakar Dan, BergDonk, Neonasty and 2 others like this.
  13. jardine

jardine 86

Oddometer:
    525's ROCK!!! Best engine ever :-)
    ToriMish and Paul124ac like this.
  14. bigborett

Oddometer:
    Girls bike.
    Kiwirich and Ron50 like this.
  15. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Till they implode. Cant get the hours/mileage the XC4 engine can get. KTM will have their hands full trying to design a more robust motor, or to the same longevity in a lighter more compact package.
  16. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember all the shit flying around at the time about XR’s and TT’s being the greatest things ever (I had both) and how all the new Euro shit and the Jap 450’s would grenade unless you changed the oil every 15mins and rebuilt them every half hour. Along came the RFS motor. What a peach. So good even Big Al bought one. ;)
    Kiwirich likes this.
  17. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Yep, all that Husaberg goodness they plagiarised after buying them.
  18. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    One ?

mrsdnf likes this.
  19. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    One of the best bikes I've ever owned. Bought new in "05. the RFS motor was based off the Husaberg motor. But it is well known they dont have the robustness and longevity of the XC4 engines. Over at the Husaberg forum there are examples of the XC4 doing 700 to 900 hours unopened.

I went from a XR630 to a KTM620 Super Comp with the LC4 motor. Wow, no comparison! What an astounding upgrade!
    AbeWhat likes this.
  20. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Muff's forks off to Choice Suspension. Krooztune made a mess of them if they did anything at all!

20201217_134842_resized.jpg
    Kiwirich and AbeWhat like this.