Victorian dirties (Berg FE570 for the high country)

Discussion in 'Australia' started by AUSSIEADV, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    Off-road is where the auto-clutch comes into its own, it is easy to trail-brake and 'skid' into corners if required without using clutch or worrying about stalling.

On the track, using the rear brake to 'back-in' (rather than through the gearbox/engine compression) makes the transition to getting back on the gas a bit slower and upsets the balance of the bike when on the edge of the tyre.
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  2. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    I want Dibs on the Recluse if you don't like it.
    :)
  3. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    I ride in wet area's Cruz but I'll keep an eye on it. Water can escape out above the shock mount I noticed. As long as it doesn't penetrate the filter. We'll see.

Vortex ignition ordered today. Being adjustable will help with any possible lean AFR's.
  4. Bluetonguejak

Oddometer:
    @Gasman_ADV Did you get any dyno numbers before/after vortex ignition install?

Al, would be interesting to to see baseline numbers with non-molested shrouds and stock ignition, then with modified shrouds, then modified shrouds and vortex if dyno time allows.
    Your welcome to use my SM rear wheel for dyno test.
  5. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Jak, taping up the shrouds wouldn't be a prob and would reflect standard. Speaking to Gasman via PM re the Vortex sounds interesting.

Re the wheel, yeah didn't think of that.

I'll see what I can organise. In one breath I was told they couldn't run the dyno due to neighbour complaints to yeah you can use it. The bike shop is in Seaford. If not there is another crowd close by.
  6. Bluetonguejak

Oddometer:
    There's a few dyno mobs around Melbourne that I know of.
    Dyno bike - Moorabbin
    Dynoverks - Boronia
    In-tune - Ringwood
    Phil Tainton - Wantirna
    Redline - Dandenong
    Mornington motorcycles - Mornington

Prolly plenty on the North and West suburbs also.

I haven't had a bike on a dyno for 10+ years and I couldn't find the blokes details.

Does Vortex do customer dyno-tuning or just testing of their product on their dyno?
    Will be interesting if you get better results with the modded shrouds than the vortex dyno graph on their website.

[​IMG]

My old 2000 FE501 had 54hp and 2000 EXC300 had 52hp after tuning (pipes/jetting only) and we're both fantastic on fuel, started faultlessly and were rockets - well worth the dyno time.

Dyno results can vary quite a bit from dyno to dyno, but it's the improvements from baseline that is critical.
  7. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

On the above dyno my Berg FE650, after muffler mods and jetting, peaked at 43 hp. Not a lot for a 650 you might say, BUT also on this dyno, ported and piped CR500s get 39 hp. Was told it equated to more or less 63 Dynojet hp. Whatever, it'll rip your arms out, spin up when cracked at 100 kph, and takes a little while to adjust to after riding my other bikes. But tame as a pussycat too, if...

Don't worry about the absolute numbers, just the before and after outcome.
    AUSSIEADV and Wodger63 like this.
  8. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    So Iam in Adelaide
    no dyno figures ..............but seat of the pants gives a significant increase in power and range of power
    And I have only used settong 6 out of 10 with all 3 tuning settings on 2 out of ten to richen the range a bit
    Power smooth as a babys bare bottom
    With Acro rear ex with baffle in

I would be very careful about any airbox mods ...only because of water ingestion

I was using 91 octane when the bike had standard ecu ...ran ok but felt bit lean

Ran a mix 98 and 95 previous tank ..
    Then last weekend ran 91 to use up a jerry
    Bike ran like shit ...so I guess the vortex is doing its job to get the max out of the engine

Very pleased with the vortex...not cheap tho
  9. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Geez Jak almost 3hp not enough for just an ECU change? 5% + increase. 2hp from 2.5k. And having full tuneability.
  10. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    It will be fine mate, I'll be keep an eye on it. You kids worry too much. :lol3
  11. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably older than you
    Lol
  12. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have not seen a Safari tank for the 70-degree Berg up close, but did wonder (looking at online installation and in situ pics) whether one of its advantages might be better protection of the air filter from water ingress
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  13. Moff52

Moff52 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had the Safari tank on my 570 Berg since new as well as a Seat Concepts wider seat and there is about a 20mm gap between the tank and the seat which is good for extra air intake but I duct tape the gap up if I am forced to ride in lots of rain and have to cross deep creeks ( which I hate and try and avoid) just to be safe.

The extra air induction noise takes a bit of getting used to and can be a PITA on longer higher speed road sections.
    I have never had any dramas with the seal between the original fuel tank and the Safari tank, even though I have swapped back to the standard tank many times when doing a period of shorter < 100 km trail rides.
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  14. Fearless Whetu

Fearless Whetu Aussi Kiwi

Oddometer:
    I like the look of these bikes....
  15. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    So you should. :nod
  16. Brute

Brute Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer:
    No , the Vortex dyno is for product evaluation only and he doesn`t do customer tuning etc . Having said that Richard from Vortex is a great bloke and I know of a few occasions where he has offered his dyno /.
  17. Bluetonguejak

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bruce
  18. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    I have been offered free use of a dyno, only I don't know/have never used one.
  19. digga1111

digga1111 bann ed

Oddometer:
    Just ride the thing. They go good, be happy with that.
    Gasman_ADV likes this.
  20. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    They go good, I ride the thing and I'm happy with that. I have an interest though that is beyond those that "just ride the thing".