Video game addicts...

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by EvilGenius, Feb 23, 2009.

1. EvilGenius

EvilGenius 1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer:
    This, though I really prefer computer games to be played on a desktop platform.
  2. ThePikeman

ThePikeman German n00b

Oddometer:
    Which one got the better graphics card?
  3. McNeal

McNeal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are there any games out there that are like Fallout 3? For some reason I really like the exploratory nature of Fallout 3 with the FPS aspect. I've played Call of Duty, Bad Company 2, and one other which I don't remember and they just fell flat for me.

I can't wait for Fallout: New Las Vegas or whatever it's called to show up.
  4. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
    You should be practicing dry fire drills at home.

[​IMG]
  5. EvilGenius

Oddometer:
    Borderlands, Metro 2033 and if you are willing to go back a few years S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
  6. tserts

tserts Chaotic Neutral

Oddometer:
    Well if you put it that way... :lol3

I've never heard them being called raiders in English (but the term is a correct translation), I was briefly in special forces as an officer (those with a degree are eligible for that, longer service but more responsibilities), and did the "unorthodox war school" as we called it in Rentina, where the 1st Raider/Paratrooper Brigade is stationed...
  7. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    Ah, very cool. There are a lot of military guy's playing ArmA 2/OA. Depending on how you play it, it can be done with strategy or it can be done with a heavy hand. Usually a little of both works best.
  8. tserts

tserts Chaotic Neutral

Oddometer:
    A customer's check bounced a few days ago, I think I'll take the heavy hand for now...

:kboom
  9. Oznerol

Oznerol Motion Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Still kinda annoyed with myself for missing PAX East.
  10. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    I'd like to go to PAX some day. I got to meet 'Gabe' and 'Tycho' at Comic Con '09.
  11. Oznerol

Oddometer:
    How important is the FPS aspect? If you're up for a more fantasy setting, with fighting but not so much shooting, check out Morrowind and Oblivion (both made by the same folks that made Fallout 3), and Dragon's Age.

I'm a big fan of the Mass Effect games, but they don't have quite the 'huge open world' sense that Fallout 3 does. But they're still a lot more exploratory than the average shooter. I thought the first one was pretty fantastic, despite some UI shortcomings (inventory management was a PITA, for example).

Borderlands is worth a mention, as well. Again, the world is less detailed than Fallout 3, but there's still a good bit of exploration and side missions to be done.
  12. McNeal

McNeal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've also got Red Dead Redemption and found the 3rd person aspect left me feeling as an observer, not a participant. The game failed to capture my imagination.
  13. EvilGenius

Oddometer:
    It's been too long since I read penny arcade.
  14. ThePikeman

ThePikeman German n00b

Oddometer:
    Mass Effect does a good job of covering the time. Not a vast connected area, but many smaller ones. All fighting is real time, but the biotics give some additional strategies.
    Mass Effect 1 is quite nice, but got that messed up inventory system, you end up with the specter weapons anyways. Leveling is a bit complicated, too. Free planet missions are sometimes a bit annoying.
    Mass Effect 2 is much more refined, planet missions are nicer now, biotics system is perfect (for me at least). Leveling is a bit too easy now and there isn't really any inventory anymore. No more hoarding of objects. :cry

Mass Effect 3 could be great.

Dragon Age is quite nice, too. More story and a bit less action than Mass Effect.
  15. EvilGenius

Oddometer:
    I miss Mass Effect, I never finished the first one, but can't get interested in buying the second or third one.
  16. Oznerol

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  17. tserts

tserts Chaotic Neutral

Oddometer:
    Started arma2 last night, by the time I was hopping off the heli I was half asleep with all these un-skipable in-game videos... :deal

Looks good so far though, I set the graphics at very high but it was cracking up a bit so high for me... I might even go medium and set view to the farthest (it's now 3/4 but I haven't tried any scoped weapons).. :evil
  18. ThePikeman

ThePikeman German n00b

Oddometer:
    You should, the last two missions are the best of the game in my opinion.
  19. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    You can skip them, if you know how. :deal

You need to unpbo the mission files and do some editing to text files though. Honestly, I wouldn't even bother with the 'missions' they have in the game.
  20. Romabuk

Romabuk Hole in da pants

Oddometer:
    I hope Gears of war 3 doesn't have all that lag problems. Other wise is should be a awesome shooter game!