Video game addicts...

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by EvilGenius, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I wanted to throw some money at my PC what would be the best component to add or upgrade the following?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
    Memory: HyperX Kingston FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB)
    Video Card: MSI-R9 380 GAMING 4G
    HD: Kingston SSD 240GB Hyper X FURY Series
    Power Supply: TP-730 730W ATX
    Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-D2V
    Storage: Seagate-3.5" 1TB
    Case: Blueberry-BC-G52-560
    Monitor: Dell S2715H (27")

I've been wanting a decent cooling system for a while.
    Is the monitor the weak link of this setup?

I mostly play The Witcher 3 (over and over again) and I want it to run silky smooth on max like I see in some Youtube videos.
    I give every new game a try, but most don't hold my attention. I also play racing games like MXGP and Dirt Rally.

Let's say the budget is around the value of PS4 + a few games, because that's what I'm also looking at.
  2. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    The monitor is a 60hz 1080P IPS display with 6ms of lag. Not the best but it's not horrible either. Until this year 5ms of lag was standard for IPS.

Your GPU is the weakest link. With everything except hair works at ultra and 1080P a GTX 1660 Ti would get you there. There regular GTX 1660 might as well but if you're upgrading going to the Ti, the RTX 2060 , or 2060 Super (essentially the old 2070) would be a good move for future proofing yourself a bit VS just playing games from a few years ago well.

And for a quality of life improvement get a 1-2TB SSD :deal

For 100-200 dollars you'll have a massive quality of life improvement with loud times dramatically decreasing. On top of that in games you'll experience less pop in.

The CPU is a bit dated now but it'll play the games you like and with Intel about to make a big improvement next year and AMD ready to launch 4th gen Ryzen (Zen 3, confusing right?) to compete.

While the GPU's especially with the RTX 2060 Super for around 400 should be a solid card for years to come.

1660 is 200-225 with the other cards slotting in between those and just think of how much do you want to spend now VS years it'll be able to play modern games.

Oh and if you're thinking about just grabbing a console I'd say go for XBox for gamepass unless there are a bunch of PS4 exclusives that you need. You get a few hundred games that you can download. And if you like FPS/Sports games both PS4 and XBox have EA access which is a similar thing with most EA games going on it 6-12 months after launch.
  3. OConnor

OConnor Bad juju

Oddometer:
  4. Yard Sale

Yard Sale let's be bad guys

Oddometer:
    Yes, at 1080p 60hz you should be looking at RX 580 or RX 590 for $175-220. The suggestion of a $450 2060 Super is ridiculous, as your 60hz monitor can't approach the frame rate something like it or a 5700 can deliver. I had a 590 with a 1080p60 and it would get above 60 FPS on most everything at the highest settings, Metro Exodus and Division 2 being exceptions.
  5. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    It's 400 for the 2060 super and that's the card that'll last for years which is the reason to think about it. But there's also a bunch of steps in-between there and the RX580/GTX1660 so you can pretty much go up 50-75 bucks each time and pay for a little more useful life out of the card VS the previous level. None of the cards in that price bracket are a bad deal.
  6. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    Also speaking of upgrades I just tossed in a crucial 240GB SSD into a launch model PS3 that I picked up since it was still on its original HD. I'm only planning to play a few exclusives on there so it's more than enough room. And at 28 bucks it was cheaper than buying a spinning disk :eekers

I looked into it and it should help a little bit with later games and somewhat with load times but the old interface is a huge bottle neck.
  7. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you all for input.

I need to look at GPU prices locally.
    Hardest thing is discarding the current, perfectly functional, GPU. I doubt anyone will want to buy it.

Regarding PS4 v. XBOX, I'm mainly drawn by some PS4 exclusives I want to play. I've gathered a long list so far:
    Speaking of which, would PS4/XBOX look better on aforementioned Dell 27" monitor or on a 10 year old 42", 1080p, LCD TV?
    upload_2019-8-12_7-24-51.png

That's why I thought the monitor would be a weak link if GPU was upgraded by a few tiers.

Last question:
    Since I've been living under a rock for a few years can you please tell me how the hell do you decide on GPU brand and Nvidia vs. AMD?
    Even if you decide on the model there are so many same offerings it becomes overwhelming.
  8. Yard Sale

Oddometer:
    Sure, Nvidia is an evil, anti-consumer corporation and AMD isn't. Also, you have to use AMD for a Hackintosh. :)

But if you ignore that and go by performance and price alone, AMD generally has the better GPU. At certain performance levels (e.g., 4K high frame rate), AMD doesn't have a GPU that can compete with Nvidia.

1080p 60-75 FPS RX580, 590
    1080p 120-144 FPS RX590, 5700
    1080p 240 FPS 5700
    1440p 60 FPS 5700, 5700XT
    1440p 144 FPS 5700XT
    4K 5700XT
    4K 60+ FPS 5700XT, 2070 Super, 1080Ti, 2080, etc.

GPU performance rankings, with prices:
    https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

There is not a performance level below 4K 60 FPS where an Nvidia GPU is a better buy. (Maybe the niche case can be made for the 1660Ti at 1080p mid-high FPS instead of the 590 or 5700.) For some reason, Nvidia has tremendous mindshare.
  9. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    I'd snag a 1060 6GB and an SSD for short money. They can be had cheap enough.

I still game on a 1080p 60hz. I'm fine with it.
  10. RustyStuff

RustyStuff Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. Yard Sale

Oddometer:
    I assembled an AMD rig. Playing a lot of Squad and not much else. Looking forward to Borderlands 3. Disintegration looks interesting.

(Anybody want a powerful Intel rig less video card? PM me.)
  12. XPADREX

XPADREX Funslinger Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sidebar for the cons-holes(tm) amongst us...

I bought AC Origins and am enjoying it. $20.

My son bought me Gears 5, but I haven't tried it yet.

I've been playing Torchlight, the free game with gold from last month. Fun dungeon grinder.

All for Xbone.

Now back to Tech Chat. :)
  13. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Post sepcs for the AMD rig.

I was annoyed with my lack of knowledge of the current hardware, so I went on a crash course.
    The result is that I'm sticking with what I have. Even marginal improvement (from 60 to 90fps) is still costly. (it also turned out that bike needs crank bearings)
    I'll wait until Cyberpunk 2077 comes out to see if that deserves a whole new system for 1440p gaming.

This is what I have lined up at the moment.
    PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cNhYP3

Right now I'm playing WRC 8.
    It's fun and seems more refined than earlier editions.
    It doesn't seem optimized though. My CPU temps are above 80C.
  14. Yard Sale

Oddometer:
  15. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:

If you go for the AMD GPU just don't get that version in your link. The blower fan is horrible in comparison to other designs, and there seems to be some issues with other ones as well. I'd definitely check out Gamers Nexus on youtube before picking a specific one.

They have more IIRC but the graphs on here and details about having to fix one of the options on there are a good starting point.
  16. antwon412

antwon412 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Playing Legend of Zelda Link to the Past on the Switch. Beat it 30 years ago. Since then I’ve started it half a dozen times and played about 1/3 of it. Plan to finish it before Links Awakening releases in 2 weeks.

Also playing Super Mario World and Super Metroid.

Man I love the SNES.
    redkerk84 and NikonsAndVStroms like this.
  17. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:

If you're into PS3 hacking mode, you could always chip it and I'm willing to bet you'll like the interface options a lot better.

You can also throw RetroArch on there, and play MAME and a bunch of other older consoles as well.

Of course, none of this matters if you use it to play online.
  18. Yard Sale

Oddometer:
    Anybody going to get Borderlands 3? Mixed reviews. But the co-op is probably still fun.

I'm approaching 400 hours in Squad. I had to revert to XMP because Unreal Engine crashes with my RAM overclock.
  19. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    not right away. I hate Epic Games and it's exclusive to them for 6 months. Then it will be available on Steam. Also, I don't really care for Chris Hardwick who reprises his role from Tales from the Borderlands.

I'm pretty sure the next game I'll be getting is Ghost Recon Breakpoint.
  20. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    IIRC, I bought and downloaded Windows onto a regular drive back in 2011.

I've marginally tried to understand the process of copying it over to get Windows to boot off of an SSD, but was no successful. If I call/email Microsoft (which I have for a registration code when moving Win95, or some other, over to a new build using the same hard drive), will they allow me to download the same under the same license?

Ultimate goal would be to get that working, first, then use it as a clean boot drive for a new MB and CPU.