Vietnam and Australia Combo in 5 weeks

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by muf722, Nov 2, 2019.

1. muf722

muf722 Muf

Oddometer:
    So I asked my employer to combine the last of my vacation days with compensation days to do a bike ride in Northern Vietnam and a visit to my sister in Australia. And I was surprised when I was given 5 weeks off. Then came the idea to combine two rides, already carrying my bikegear to Vietnam.

Back in 2013, I did a 2 week ride from south to north i Vietnam and I wish for a return visit. I plan for another 15 day adventure which is the max number of days I can stay visa-free in Vietnam.

I have rented motorbikes in Australia 6 times before with rides around Sydney, Cairns, Melbourne and the Tasmaia-loop. Now I want to see Western Australia and if possible go swimming with the Whale sharks at Ningaloo reef. And while doing that ride, why not continue across the whole continent?

The planning could only begin 2 weeks prior to departure. That's how late my company will let me know the exact dates off work. The rides took place Feb-Mar 2019.

Pictures from the 2013 ride. From Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi. I rented a Chinese Lifan 125cc at 35$ a day for the route. Vietnam is great and so I wanted more.
    klg.jpg

The 2013 route was 2500km. The new one is slighly shorter, but have more mountainous terrain. I plan with paper maps and transfer key points to my phone app Maps Me. I will not bring a designated GPS.
    IMG_3601.JPG

Finding a suitable bike proved a little harder than expected. I sent out emails to 4 rental companies in Hanoi and only two answered. They did not have any of the bikes requested available and suggested a later rental period. I found a 5th company with poor reviews and secured a Honda CRF300L at 50$ a day. The poor review was from a guy who felt abandoned when his bike broke down. In Vietnam, the rental contract will specify that you are responsible to return the bike if broken. No recovery service offered. Anyway, mechanics are easily found and if the bike is unfixable then it's cheap and easy to hitch a ride on a truck or bus to Hanoi (with the bike). So I'm not concerned.
    IMG_3375.JPG

My route takes me to Dien Bien Phu near Laos. Then up to tribal towns in the north. A visit to Ba Be lake and then back close to the Chinese border down to Ha Long for a mini-cruise. Loop back to Hanoi. 2300km (1400miles)
    viet2 flag.png

In Australia, I contact the rental company BikeRoundOz. I have used them several times before and rent a high milage BMW R1200 GS at 145AUD (100$US) a day with a rental period of minimum 14 days.
    They have oneway offers, but nothing fitting my time period. Instead I have to pay a oneway fee of 645AUD (440$US)
    IMG_3986.jpg

My plan is to start in Perth and head east to Sydney and my sister. I thought that Ningaloo reef was within a days ride north of Perth, but looking at my maps, I realise the great distances and mark it out as a 3 day ride. Despite the cost and time constraints, I still think 14 days is possible, but this ride will be very different to the Vietnam route. 8.300km (5.200miles) planned. It turns out that all bikes are unavailable in Perth because a group of riders headed by Charlie Boorman have taken all the bikes there, and my bike will be in Sydney. I simply reverse the route and add one day rental to a total of 15 days. That way I can stay two nights in Karijini Park and two nights at Ningaloo Reef.

IMG_2078.PNG

Planning complete. Lets go!
  2. muf722

muf722 Muf

Oddometer:
    After overnight flights via Bangkok, I arrive in Hanoi Friday morning. Fast entry at the border since my Danish passport allows for a 15 days visa-free stay. I have booked a hotel for 2 nights to combat jetlag before my planned departure on Sunday. I want to have a clear head to handle the crazy Vietnamese traffic.
    IMG_3635.JPG

Last time I was in Hanoi, it was mostly dark. Arriving at 7pm and leaving for home the next morning. Now I have a few days to explore Hanoi in daylight. Street markets close to the big Dong Xuan Market.
    IMG_3615.JPG

Street in Old Town Hanoi.
    IMG_3616.JPG

First meal in Hanoi is a favorit. Hot Pot.
    IMG_3617.JPG

In the evening, there's a lot of life around Hoan Kiem Lake in center.
    IMG_3618.JPG

Saturday and I walk to the office of the rental company. The rental process is easy except they can't find the key. Instead of money, I leave my second passport as collateral. This map on the office wall, highlights the roads in the area
    IMG_3623.JPG

The Flamingo Travel Garage. They have to dig out 10 bikes to get to my Honda.
    IMG_3624.JPG

Honda CRF 300L. The national cc limit in Vietnam is only 175cc. This being a 300cc is therefore unusually large and requires a special permit. I'm given a small spare parts package in case of enroute repairs. Parts would otherwise be impossible to find for this rare bike.
    IMG_3628.JPG

I take the usual photos from all sides of the bike to document dents and scratches.
    IMG_3629.JPG

First fuel stop. It should hold about 8 liters. Fuel price is 17750 VND per liter. (3$US per gallon)
    IMG_3633.JPG
    crashkorolyk, knight and B10Dave like this.
  3. muf722

muf722 Muf

Oddometer:
    61800km or 38000miles. Is that high for a small capacity bike? Anyway, I thrust the reliability of the Honda. IMG_3634.JPG

Spare parts package have tools, tubes, wires, brake pads and a sparkplug. Excellent. I did bring some of my own tools for this trip, after a mechanic destroyed some bolts with worn tools in Laos. I will leave any excess bagage with the hotel untill I return to Hanoi.
    IMG_3271.JPG

I have the bike, but I will stay as a tourist in Hanoi untill tomorrow. The Old Citadel. There are also some modern military facilities in city center and when I try to walk past an entrance, I'm asked to use the sidewalk on the other side. Very similar to last time, I tried to walk past Trump Tower in Manhattan.
    IMG_3636.JPG

Flag Tower of Hanoi. When I was here last, it was dark and closed. Now I can explore the exhibitions.
    IMG_3638.JPG

Art from war wreckage
    IMG_3639.JPG

Bomb rain over Hanoi.
    IMG_3642.JPG

A-37. Very similar to the T-37 I trained on in Texas.
    IMG_3637.JPG

An F-5, MiG-21 and a MiG-17
    IMG_3643.JPG

And an Ilyushin.
    IMG_3646.JPG

This rail track through Hanoi center looks shut down, but carries the 5 daily trains to Ho Chi Minh in the south. IMG_3647.JPG
    crashkorolyk and B10Dave like this.
  4. muf722

muf722 Muf

Oddometer:
    The selection of great restaurants in Hanoi is endless and I enjoy the food. The sign tell of the New Year Sale. I have arrived in Vietnam at the end of the New Year celebrations also known as TET. The dates are not fixed as the New Year follows the lunar cycle. The celebrations last for minimum 14 days and many will travel to family get togethers. I was afraid that everything would be closed, as I have experienced in China, but most places have been open so far. IMG_3648.JPG
    Everything here is "Made in Vietnam" A new North Face Gore-Tex jacket is less than 40$.
    IMG_3649.JPG

End of a long day on foot. A bicycle rickshaw back to the hotel.
    IMG_3650.JPG

Departure. Two waterproof bags, Airhawk Seat, small tank bag and my phone as GPS
    GH.jpg

Guests from my hotel wish me luck on my travels. They praise me for my full riding gear as the locals ride with nothing but a plastic helmet if any.
    GH010013_Moment.jpg

Start of season 2019. February 10.
    GH010013_Moment2.jpg

Traffic is relatively light, and I have a simple route planned out of Hanoi. Green helmets are the company "Grab". Vietnamese version of Lyft/Uber
    GH020013_Moment4.jpg

Right lane is blocked and we must find space in the opposite lane.
    GH020013_Moment5.jpg

Traffic not as bad as I remember. Maybe due to the celebrations.
    GH020013_Moment6.jpg

Ahh. My mistake. He signals and then he turns. He has the right of way according to the vietnamese cone of attention. You can see his annoyed face when I continue my overtake of his family vehicle.
    GH040013_Moment7.jpg
  5. TropicalDale

TropicalDale The Adventures of Peter Pan

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  6. crashkorolyk

crashkorolyk just happy to ride

Oddometer:
    Looks like a brilliant trip,thanks for sharing!
  7. Seth S

Seth S Will _____ for _____

Oddometer:
    For future reference I had really good experience renting from Tigit in Hanoi.
  8. muf722

muf722 Muf

Oddometer:
    Tigit was my preferred rental company in Hanoi. With my late planning they could not help me.
  9. muf722

muf722 Muf

Oddometer:
    Todays route is mainly road 32 towards the Laos border. Some minor roads in the middle. I plan less than 200 miles a day and this is only approx 140 miles. The general speedlimit in Vietnam is low and you rarely reach 40 mph.
    InkedDSC02661_LI.jpg

Go slow, be predictable and never stop. It feels strange at first, turning into oncoming traffic, but this is the way to go.
    GH080013_Moment9.jpg

Rural roads
    G0012773.jpg
    G0012782.jpg
    G0012838.jpg

Coffee break
    G0013030.jpg
    Coffee is brewed at the table. It comes with some additional hot water and ice cubes if you should prefer iced coffee.
    IMG_3659.JPG

Many roads are decorated for the new year celebrations.
    G0023163.jpg

A new year and the rice fields can be planted yet again.
    DJI_0423_Moment.jpg
    Rice patties
    DJI_0422_Moment2.jpg
    crashkorolyk likes this.
  10. muf722

muf722 Muf

Oddometer:
    Cultivating the rice patties. A wave to my drone.
    DJI_0422_Moment.jpg

It was the noise from the cultivator that made me stop.
    IMG_3272.JPG

Here on a bridge in silence except for the faint noise from the two stroke.
    IMG_3278.JPG

Many shops are closed for the new year.
    G0023278.jpg

Early spring in February.
    IMG_3279.JPG
    Strange rock formations and a rare KTM.
    G0023283.jpg

Some young people have collided without injury. The only accident I witnessed during my stay in Vietnam.
    G0033925.jpg

I have reached the mountains.
    IMG_3281.JPG

My lunch is Pho. The local noodle soup for less than 2$.
    IMG_3660.JPG

Cooked ricepaper springrolls.
    IMG_3661.JPG
    B10Dave and crashkorolyk like this.
  11. muf722

muf722 Muf

Oddometer:
    Arrival Nghia Lo. Busy town without tourists and hotels. IMG_3662.JPG

Nice clean homestay. Rooms with private bathroom, air conditioning, wifi and free clothes wash. She included a large free dinner with a beer due to it being the last day of the new year celebrations and all for less than 6$.
    IMG_3665.JPG

Ah. The troubles of the modern traveller. Charging powerbanks, drone batteries, phones (2 cell and a sat-phone), ipad and a laptop.
    IMG_3282.JPG

Small towns heading west.
    G0014544.jpg
    G0015034.jpg
    G0015037.jpg
    G0015633.jpg

Mountains in the morning. Crossing The Da river. Then more mountains to Dien Bien Phu.
    InkedDSC02662_LI.jpg
    Young guy with his girlfriend wearing traditional tribal clothing. We sat at the same table during lunch.
    GH010015_Moment2.jpg

All gas stations have full service. Large interest in my bike and route.
    GH010015_Moment3.jpg
  12. muf722

muf722 Muf

Oddometer:
    I'm able to slowly ride amongst the water buffaloes. They stay calm as long as the calf is not seperated from the cow.
    GH010015_Moment4.jpg

Traffic is low i Vietnam. You will rarely see a car outside larger cities.
    IMG_3284.JPG

In the mountains, it's still too early to plant rice.
    IMG_3285.JPG

I'm very happy about the performance of the Honda. The luggage rack fits all my stuff.
    IMG_3289.JPG

Cave
    IMG_3290.JPG

I've stopped at a high viewpoint and enjoy the view as many others.
    IMG_3294.JPG

I notice that some snap a photo of me instead of the view.
    IMG_3293.JPG

Being a traveller in rural areas will atract attention and they ask me to pose in pictures with them.
    IMG_3296.JPG

The "rock star" effect.
    IMG_3297.JPG

The roads are in fine condition, but of course some road works are to be expected. No signs and only insignificant delay.
    IMG_3300.JPG
    crashkorolyk likes this.
  13. muf722

muf722 Muf

Oddometer:
    Fish farm on the Da river. IMG_3302.JPG

A day with many great views.
    IMG_3311.JPG

After check in, I just have time to visit the war museum in Dien Bien Phu.
    IMG_3677.JPG

The museum is about the 1953 French war and Dien Bien Phu was the scene of one of the major battles.
    IMG_3680.JPG

French forces and the foreign legion captured the area in 1953
    IMG_3681.JPG

4 months later in 1954 and the Vietnamese army had recaptured Dien Bien Phu. Model of a soldier digging a trench under fire.
    IMG_3682.JPG

Much of the equipment used by the French were U.S. made in the U.S. aided campaign.
    IMG_3684.JPG

The signal tower in Dien Bien Phu is clearly inspired by the Eiffel tower and built by the French. Gustave Eiffel himself did design and built a few bridges in Vietnam.
    IMG_3685.JPG

Sunset over Dien Bien Phu. The mountains are the border to Laos.
    IMG_3687.JPG

My street side buffet dinner that night.
    IMG_3692.JPG
    crashkorolyk and B10Dave like this.
  14. muf722

muf722 Muf

Oddometer:
    My hotel doesn't have a restaurant, so breakfast if found around the corner from 5-6 in the morning. Pho again.
    IMG_3693.JPG

If you need a mechanic, then look for the sign "XE MAY". Even the smallest town will have several shops. G0016504.jpg

I use hand gestures to indicate that I want him to lube the chain. I plan to do that every second day.
    IMG_3695.JPG

Dien Bien Phu to Sapa via Sin Ho.
    InkedInkedDSC02663_LI.jpg

Village
    G0016804.jpg
    The winter months are the driest in Vietnam, but in the mountains, everything can happen. Even snow. So I pack the long underwear and heavy gloves being prepared for the worst. Luckily the weather is fine and some mud is as bad as it gets.
    G0016876.jpg

Busy traffic in Vietnam.
    G0017104.jpg

I need to refuel before going up to Sin Ho. The towns only gas station is dry, and I know to look for a street vendor.
    G0017624.jpg

Same thing happened on my 2013 tour.
    IMG_3316.JPG

Sin Ho 21 miles
    G0017772.jpg
    B10Dave likes this.
  15. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Very cool. :clap
  16. muf722

muf722 Muf

Oddometer:
    They are not in a hurry to move. G0017802.jpg

Basic roads
    G0017895.jpg

It's considered courteous if you beep the horn before overtaking.
    G0018140.jpg

The Honda in its element.
    GH010017_Moment.jpg
    The Hmong tribe.
    GH010017_Moment2.jpg

Arrival Sin Ho. High mountain village
    GH040017_Moment5.jpg

Lunch is a sausage noodle dish, served in the pot.
    IMG_3696.JPG

Many loose dogs. They are well behaved. I was not chased once.
    G0028591.jpg

Pregnant pig. A near miss.
    GH020017_Moment4.jpg

High roads in the clouds.
    G0028725.jpg
  17. MazztheSpazz

MazztheSpazz Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow. I want to go back. Thanks for posting.
  18. muf722

muf722 Muf

Oddometer:
    Getting down the mountain. Children on the sidewalk. G0028841.jpg

Back on tarmac and finding some speed.
    G0029261.jpg
    Another refuel.
    G0029535.jpg

Nice view and sound. You can hear an engine miles away.
    IMG_3312.JPG

Heading for Sapa.
    G0029713.jpg

"Chuc Mung Nam Moi". I had memorized this phrase before travelling to Vietnam. It means Happy New Year and was the perfect icebreaker when meeting people.
    G0029881.jpg

This corner of Vietnam have the highest mountains in the country.
    G0030022.jpg

Street markets shortly before Sapa.
    G0030366.jpg

Down into the fog. Many drive without any lights on.
    G0030392.jpg
    Loose surface roads in dense fog. With moisture on my visor and glasses, I see even less than my gopro.
    G0030513.jpg
    outdoorsman and crashkorolyk like this.