:: Vietnam by Motorcycle - or by the Bikers

Discussion in 'Asia' started by VietHorse, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    :p3rryViethorse, I just found this thread. Thanks for put them together. I will see you in September
  2. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As to the need for a license, police hassle, large vs. small bikes, etc. etc. etc.:

Feh. Why worry? Here's a single datapoint: the rules may say you need a local license and should carry all paperwork wherever you go, but this sure wasn't a problem for me. In 3000 km I was never stopped, never questioned or asked for papers, and never wished I'd taken a tour.

Standard caveat: YMMV....but you knew that already, right?

Mark
  3. Toe - Cutter

Toe - Cutter 666

Oddometer:

Depending on what size Moto ,

And licence u have ,

There's KTM dealer in saigon , does a fair spread of their models ,,,

But your far better off with something along these lines ..

Honda XR 150L ,mine ,,,,two or three dealers in hcmc , it's an import , but not expensive and perfect for Vietnam , particularly off-road ,, and simple to spanner on ,

[​IMG]

Or one off these , crf250 L ,, great bike , expect to pay double the oz price ,,,rock solid more comfort , but more tech to deal with
    Me ....Rental outta ha noi,,

impressed I bought one in oz .

Cheers

[​IMG]
  4. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could really get lost out there. A very lovely place to find oneself.
  5. Cruiserman

Cruiserman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your reply Toe Cutter I have an A2 Vietnamese licence so I was looking for something a little more comfortable for doubling my wife, the idea is for me to show my wife some of her country I have seen and she hasn't yet. I see that Honda has just released they are importing bigger bikes now so will probably look at the CB500X. Thanks again.
  6. Toe - Cutter

Toe - Cutter 666

Oddometer:
    Try -
    Thuong Moto in saigon

They do some bigger cc stuff ...
    Cheers

415 pham van dong , linh dong , thu duc , hcmc

Good luck

Remember ,,,

Have a second wallet for presentation to the constabulary ,,,

No more than 3 to 400,000 dong in it , broken notes ..
    Cruiserman likes this.
  7. Cruiserman

Cruiserman Adventurer

Oddometer:

Cheers Toe Cutter
  8. pistole

pistole Long timer

Oddometer:
    Viethorse : how are the conditions in northern vietnam now (eg , Sapa) ? We're planning to ride over from Thailand / Laos / Vietnam in Sept 2018.

Thanks.
  9. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    The route from Saigon to Mui ne is known to be a hot spot for corrupt cops, so to avoid this and city traffic I followed the advice provided on Tigit Motos website and 2 weeks ago went north to Cat Tien. An hour or so into the trip while leaving the city I was hit by corrupt cops who pulled me over for "speeding". They did the normal and threatened to throw the bike on the flatbed truck etc, so I eventually paid 20USD. I spent 2 years driving around Latin America and paid 0 bribes so do not fold too easily, but did not push too hard as I purchased the bike on a last minute whim so hadn't done any research, and was not sure how easily I would lose the bike.

On the other hand, in Hue I took off at a stop light 2 seconds early which the locals all do, but didn't see the cops on the corner, so should have been stopped. They started to come out to wave me over, saw I was a foreigner, and went back to the corner and proceeded to pull over a different person, so it can work both ways.

Aside from my 1st hour riding in Vietnam with the corrupt cops, all people, and police, have been fantastic.