1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Vietnam,Cambodia,Laos, then China? March,2017

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Doogle, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Doogle

Doogle Do it while you can Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am hoping to visit Vietnam,Cambodia,Laos,Thailand, and maybe China in March,April, and May. I've been thinking about it for the last year. I haven't done much besides making a list of places I might like to see. I was just looking at China initially. But when I thought it might not be possible I started looking at the other countries. Then last weekend I went to a HU rally and met a guy that lived in China for 6 years. He said he would help me with my ride in China. So now I have something to focus on.

I think I would buy a bike to ride. Then I would sell it and buy another in China. I don't have any rigid time frame. I think I want to be in the Asian countries first before it gets hotter. And I'm told, I don't want to be in China till late April or May. It's too cold.

I think the bike I buy in Asia needs to be under 175cc to make paper work at the borders easier. I need to research what is the best bike available for my needs. I haven't looked at shots I might need, if visas need to be issued before I leave home, or state department travel advisory's.
  2. wera688

wera688 V-Stromer

Oddometer:
    Hey man, what's up? I think that is an excellent choice of time for an Asian trip.
  3. Doogle

Oddometer:
    I hope this all works out. I haven't talked to Arthur yet. I hope to have a basic plan of places to see before I contact him.
    John who rode the KLR from Florida sent me a message. He got home. He was using a quart every 30 miles. He finally called his wife to pick him up 75 miles from home.
  4. wera688

wera688 V-Stromer

Oddometer:
    every 30 miles...I can almost relate. My countershaft seal blew out yesterday on the Strom, oil everywhere. They dont make seals they used to . ha. parts ordered. I'm tooling around on my DR650. Also looking for a Super tenere to buy
  5. Doogle

Oddometer:
    If your countershaft seal BLEW OUT suddenly, I would be concerned that the bearing might be bad. I won't make it down to Atlanta this year. 4 day quad riding next weekend. Then going to California the next weekend.
  6. wera688

wera688 V-Stromer

Oddometer:
    I bought a used Tenere. It's in Chicago. I'll use it and my DR650 on my RTW trip.
  7. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    go earlier, did Malaysia in 2015 starting in March and by april was cooking,go as soon as the monsoon is over , late dec-early jan. We did that this year but still ran into some 40f weather, thankfully we had our frog togs rain suit of would have froze on the bike , had a week of that in Thailand and later in Laos.
    airfare from idaho round trip to malaysia where we had our 150cc yammer ,was $1326 when bought 90 days in advance thru priceline. watch the total travel time it can vary greatly. just some fyi
  8. Doogle

Oddometer:
    Last week of February is when I will leave. Asia will be hot. But if I get to China in April, it will still be cold.
  9. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    the 175cc limitation is for the locals only, a permit for about $900 for VN or go in with a tour, best to buy in VN(?) then tour asia,do not know about a return to VN as in the last 5 years only 2 non nationals have entered VN with out a tour, one worked in VN, the other a russian n VN loves russians. there is a thread going now of one touring the area.
  10. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    also we did that time span in 2015, start dec or early jan, by april the temps were up, have a sweater of some sort, early feb, has temps in the mid 40s f, later in the middle of the month high forties in Laos. frog toggs was all I had, my jacket is mesh.
  11. Doogle

Oddometer:
    I am signing up for a 19 day tour of Thailand and Vietnam tomorrow with my wife and a friend. We will leave February 14. They will fly back home, and I will stay for a while. My plan is to buy a bike and ride Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam. I think about 3 weeks. Then I want to go to China and ride for a month. I think I would need to sell the bike and buy another in China. I've read that there is a border where people have taken their bikes into China from Vietnam. I don't know if it would be worth the chance. And I hope I can figure a way to get a temporary license.

Someone told me that there are police check points at province borders in China. If that is true, that would make riding illegally very difficult. Can anyone confirm if that is true. I really want to ride and see China. I would risk some minor fines to do it. Wouldn't want to risk jail time in a foreign country.

175cc is for locals only? I could buy a 400cc bike and ride it there? What do you mean about a $900 permit?

I'm not a tour rider. I'd rather buy a pedal bike and go alone. And that won't happen.