1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Vietnam MC license?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Valkrunner, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Valkrunner

Valkrunner n00b

Oddometer:
    Can anyone enlighten me as to what sort of drivers license is required to ride a motorcycle in Vietnam?

Thanks
    Scott
  2. jenks276

jenks276 n00b

Oddometer:
    did'nt need one when i was there. but then i had an m -16 along for the ride.
  3. TurboCharger

TurboCharger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't tell you what licence you need as I never got into Vietnam with my GS. But I did apply for a motorcycle licence through the Vietnamese embassy in Sydney and I never got my licence, this was over 5 months ago and I'm still waiting.

I went through the whole official process and got all my documents authenticated and witnessed by a Justice of the Peace and everthing to accompany my application and paid a lot of money for it and they still didn't even send me a reply.

As for a bike, you need to have a bike <200cc to enter Vietnam, not a problem if you hire or buy in Vietnam...
  4. RunningBare

RunningBare Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Officially, a licence is needed in Vietnam. International licences are not recognised. I was stopped once and the police tried to make me pay a $50US fine, I refused and after 15 or so minutes they told me to go. A foreigner can obtain a licence by sitting for the test which is in Vietnamese,good luck. PS not many of the locals bother.
  5. roo6135

roo6135 alias SINKERS

Oddometer:
    Im in vietnam now forget the licence, forget road rules, forget your worries, get big life insurance policy for your dependants. food great and safe to eat .rice wine ok too. beer fantastic. every thing cheap. But the best thing is the PEOPLE. SINKERS
  6. BitShuffler

BitShuffler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The vast majority of foreigners in Vietnam don't have a license. Generally, the police will leave you alone simply because it's too much effort for the cop to deal with the language barrier. I've been waved on after being stopped for running a red light once he realised I was a westerner.

Apparently, you can convert an international motorcycle license to a VN license once you are in the country (see https://vietnam.embassy.gov.au/hnoi/Driving_in_Vietnam.html for contact details). In reality, this would most likely involve weeks of chasing paperwork from government department to department.

roo6135 pretty much has it right, apart from the 'rice wine ok' part - it's fucking horrible stuff.
  7. vander

vander full-time dreamer

Oddometer:
    I'm currently riding around SE Asia. Don't worry about licenses.
    Police don't worries about foreigners, as far as I've experienced so far. Same for Laos.

And the ricewine affair... it depends, I tasted a really good one in Sa Pa. The one you have to avoid is the snake-liquor. :puke1

In 3 weeks time we will arrive to Saigon/Ho Chi Minh City. We will then sell our red and blue russian friends so that somebody else can enjoy this part of the world with them.

If somebody is interested just let us know!
  8. explodingmouse

explodingmouse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lived in Hanoi for 7 years , never had a licsense never had a problem.