1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Vietnamese fish sauce question

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Pwhallon, May 3, 2008.

1. Pwhallon

Pwhallon Noob

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

Please don't throw me under the bus for this question. :deal

This is not motorcycle related, but I couldn't think of anywhere else to ask.

Is it possible to get the famous Vietnamese "CAT HAI" fish sauce in the USA? If so where?

Or on-line maybe?

Thanks,

Paul
  2. Timtiger

Timtiger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Singapore but Malaysia as much as possible
    Try here: www.junglejims.com
    But maybe you should think twice. I ws in Hanoi November last year and they had a massive Cholera outbreak. About 35 deaths and at least 400 reported cases (with many unreported). The goverment was issuing warnings to avoid drinking the water and some restaurants were not serving salads and uncooked vegetables.

BUT

The Bac Mai Hospital poison control centre where I was working had confirmed that the source was the sauce (fish sauce that is). No one who mattered wanted to make this public. I am unsure if the Cat Hai brand was inplicated but when you see how it's made you are taking your own risk. Note that food poisoning is the most common cause of hospital admission in Vietnam and even beats road accidents.
  3. Pwhallon

Pwhallon Noob

Oddometer:
    Hi TimTiger,

Thanks for the advise.

Yea, my Aunt Doris got sick and died from eating french Bri (SP?) that was made with UN-pasturized milk.

I understand about food risks.

Maybe, I'll skip on the CAT HAI.

I don't like anchovie based fish sauce and CAT HAI, being squid based, made me want to try it.

Thanks again Tim,

Paul
  4. Timtiger

Timtiger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Singapore but Malaysia as much as possible
    Just FYI. Cat Hai IS fish sauce. They make a range of types with various types and qualities. The one you mention has squid in it during the fermentation phase but I beleive it is still fish based. I could be wrong.

Sorry about your aunt. The cheese you mention is the french type called Brie. It is a soft cheese like Cambert and the french believe it is best unpasteurised. It is famous for potentially infecting you with a bacteria called Listeria. It is the main reason these types f cheese should never be eaten by pregnant women.