Villageidiot destroys a perfectly nice sportster.

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by villageidiot, Oct 26, 2018.

1. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    it might make a noobs appearance with a 19" on the front.
    Little Bike likes this.
  2. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    its the feet in front of me that i don't like about the mids. its like sitting at a table. which, based on my stature i do a lot. haha. but it just doesn't feel right to ride that way.

not sure where I'm gunna get the spokes. bucannons is pretty local. I've used wheel works in the past. the front spokes are already stainless, so they might be able to stay, but ill probably swap em out anyway. ill likely just drop the hubs and hoops off at wheel works and pick em up done.
    JagLite likes this.
  3. rawcream

rawcream grass fed

Oddometer:
    in for the hijinks
    villageidiot likes this.
  4. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love watching sportsters getting molested. I am in!
    rodteague and villageidiot like this.
  5. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    Always had a soft spot for the XR's.
    My bud had some sort of XR with stock twin DeLortos that made cool sucking sounds.
    Lot of nice tork for the paved forest roads.
    Lot of fun until you start throwin sparks in the twisties, then game over for a guy like me.
    My 2 cents towards the build requirements....plenty of ground clearance for cornering, if you like that sort of thing.
    You ever hear about Lucifers Hammer ?
  6. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    It’ll have as much cornering clearance as I can get out of it with the lowered pegs. It certainly won’t be low.
  7. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    Lucifer’s hammer, yeah I’m not into sport bikes at all. Knees and back won’t take em.
  8. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    My KTM '08 SuperDuke has the upright dirt bike seating position and has plenty of corning ground clearance, might look at one to get ideas.

I picked up a '05 Suzuki GSXR 1000 last year, and if I keep it on proper sport roads, my back an knees tolerate the sport ride.

And a sport ride that fine tuned '05 Suzuki GSXR 1000? Priceless.

Having more than one bike in the shed help's......

and now..feed bag is on....:D:D :lurk
    WYO George likes this.
  9. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lemme know when I can come down, get in your way, consume coffee & donuts in front of you

...and tell you how much your effing up your bike.

:flip

:boid

:wave

:rogue
    villageidiot likes this.
  10. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    Went to the Long Beach motorcycle swap meet today and picked up a couple things

Biltwell thruster grips

Set of risers in better shape than mine (will see how they blast and tumble)

Set of basic stock rubber pegs

Throttle grip/tube (not sure I can get the grip off, experimental)

C03D76A0-1F32-4EE6-A6B8-886B0024F449.jpeg
    rawcream likes this.
  11. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Nice! Subscribed. I am thinking about a Harley and a 2003 Anniversary would be my choice. But a 1200 with twin front rotors.
    I love the wheels. Back in the 60's when I was building Cafe's we always used Borrani shouldered rims. They still 'speak' to me.
    villageidiot likes this.
  12. madrider5150

madrider5150 Riding somewhere

Oddometer:
    The mids hurt my low back on long rides, somehow the leg position with the feet in front but knees still bent was worse than forwards. Enter lowsets with highway pegs and its a world of difference with control and comfort. I have the biltwell tracker original (low), interested to see how the high looks. Are you going to be riding 2 up? Its doable but fairly difficult with the lowsets but you can always but the adapters from chainsikle as well. Also if you want to splurge a little the throttle tube from joker machine is really nice piece and open ended so you can add bar ends/handguards
    villageidiot likes this.
  13. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    at 300+ lbs everywhere i go I'm 2 up haha.

good tip about the throttle tube from joker, been looking at the biltwell one at $50, but ill check out the joker one.

was at the swap meet today and the speed merchant was there, I'm gunna go check his stuff out when i get the low sets so i can see if their sprocket cover will work with them.

how are you doing in the hunt for shocks?
  14. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Are you going chain? Of course you are.
  15. madrider5150

madrider5150 Riding somewhere

Oddometer:
    I like the speed merchant stuff, except they haven't been great in responding to customer inquiry. They actually have some shocks I inquired about- week later still no response... I'm pretty decided to go with EMC shocks from Hugo Moto at this point, will contact him again tomorrow.
    On the speed merchant sprocket cover, I actually asked about that too back in June maybe? no response lol. But got response from tracker die and RB said if they bolt to the stock cover it'll work.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    villageidiot likes this.
  16. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    Took the wheels into the shop with me this morning and found a local shop to bust the tires off the rims for me. $20 well spent. i know i know, i can do it myself, i have irons and all the stuff, but i fuckin hate it, $20 well spent in my book. plus, it got done while i was at work.

[​IMG]

got home and busted down the rear one. HD put hex headed spoke nipples on these things, so i could use some of my minimal tools to break it down.

[​IMG]

The front wheel had been swapped to stainless spokes by the previous owner, so no such luck on socket headed nips. BUT!!! the wife wanted mexican food and that means a drive back toward the shop to our favorite spot. El Ranchito. if you're ever in costa mesa, its my favorite, been going there a solid 30+ out of my 35 years of life.

swung by the shop and picked up a 1/4" wrench before dinner, had a nice meal with my lovely bride, and then came home and busted down the front wheel.

[​IMG]

thats it for today. who do think i am?? @Fast Idle ?
    smolt, TonyKZ1, AK650 and 5 others like this.
  17. Fast Idle

Fast Idle Since the Sixties Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really like where you're headed with this bike. :super
    Those wheels and tires are going to give it a great new look along with the tracker bars.
    :lurk
    villageidiot likes this.
  18. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    99DBAA87-FEEA-4A0A-B3FB-A1145232B266.jpeg 457C0D3E-7784-4CF3-BE15-25034E5315D8.jpeg Fuck you Harley

Assholes leave no float room for the wheel bearing preload spacer to move out the way to be able to knock a bearing out.

Busted a chunk from the hub, I’ll machine it so there’s actually room to get a drift inside and knock em out. Yeah, it’ll be a little more wiggling to get the spacer lined up when installing a wheel.

Assholes

The rear hub is the same, but I’m taking it to my starter/generator guy who has some nutty blind bearing pullers, hopefully comes out ok.
    sealsam and phreakingeek like this.
  19. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same ol crap in life. Let the "do'ers" design things, not the engineer's sitting in some cubicle.

Ah, waiting for the El Ranchito food pics, J & I need to meet you two down there one day.
    villageidiot likes this.
  20. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    Any day that ends with Y.
    wee-twin, sealsam and phreakingeek like this.