Villageidiot destroys a perfectly nice sportster.

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by villageidiot, Oct 26, 2018.

1. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A1E66227-E185-4EA2-9280-194930138CAA.jpeg 64894268-64AD-4175-B1CE-387264387BEA.jpeg B78D27F0-DF4C-4D11-ACB7-6A9E873FCE8F.jpeg

Hubs are back, bearings are in the freezer, I’ll get these mofos assembled this afternoon and hopefully drop the hubs and hoops off tomorrow on my lunch break.
    TonyKZ1, sealsam, Fast Idle and 2 others like this.
  2. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Moving right along......you don’t mess around Man!
    villageidiot likes this.
  3. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    654C2FBF-C952-4618-974E-802A7B9DE0F2.jpeg

Pressed the bearings in after lunch, will bolt em up tonite before I take em in make sure it all feels good.
  4. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    I’m trying to do one task a day kind of a thing. This is not an incredibly hard build, or time consuming, I just wanna enjoy it and not get bogged down and too many steps ahead of myself.
    JagLite, JimVonBaden and Wkendwrench like this.
  5. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Well you are doing great............................
    JimVonBaden and villageidiot like this.
  6. Wildebeest90210

Wildebeest90210 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah, Monsieur Tuckers weighing in, always the sign of a discerning build. Must be cooling off in Ca and the English ex-pats are waking up for the winter :thumbup
    JimVonBaden and villageidiot like this.
  7. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    FACK!!

front wheel bearings work perfect, torques up, everything feels nice.

i think the rear axle spacer between the bearings is borked. everything feels good, but when you tighten it, it binds and won't rotate. there was some gouging on the rear spacer ends that i filed flat, and its probably enough that the bearings load hard when torqued up. new set of bearings and an axle spacer on order.

question is, should i take the hubs and rims in as it is for spokes and lacing? or wait and install the new bearings and spacer in the hub and check and make sure its all good before i lace up the wheels.

its FIVE DAYS for the spacer....... shitty.
  8. WYO George

WYO George Epstein didn’t kill himself

Oddometer:
    I would verify that the hub is good with the new parts before taking it in myself, but if you feel confident that the hub is fine and all it needs are the new bearings nad spacer then by all means take it in now.
    JagLite likes this.
  9. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Can you cut a little shim (brass, paper etc) and try again ??? Might just need a little file or hammer adjustment. :D
    JagLite likes this.
  10. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    70 F at 6pm. Sitting outside drinking cold Newcastle Brown.
    TonyKZ1, vector6 and JagLite like this.
  11. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
  12. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    E40AB8C7-877F-4123-A313-DCD87EFC223D.jpeg G kids came over for Halloween. Made this helmet as. Busy fingers project. I’ll donate it to the villageidiot.
  13. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    Nah, those bearings are a motherfucker to remove/extract. The amount of force it takes to press out will (in my opinion) compromise the bearing. Axle spacers between the bearings is not something I wanna get wrong.
    JagLite likes this.
  14. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    See, if I verify it’s good, it will be.

If I take it in and lace it up, it’ll be bad.

That’s my luck.

I’ll wait
  15. WYO George

WYO George Epstein didn’t kill himself

Oddometer:
    Yep, that's how it would play out for me too. My luck can oftentimes suck. For instance, last night I was finishing up a repair on a customer's ATV. I was literally three bolts away from being finished with the job when he called me to ask how it was going. I told him it was basically done and that he could pick it up today. Right after hanging up the phone I discovered that I had two bolts and three bolt holes. I scoured the work bay and then the entire shop looking for the missing bolt. I then pulled the case covers off and checked inside the engine for the missing bolt. I finally had to call him back and tell him that it would be delayed 5 days while I waited on a replacement bolt. He laughed and said no worries as he doesn't need it for two more weeks, but damn it pissed me off. I wonder if I'll ever figured out what happened to the missing bolt.
    JagLite and villageidiot like this.
  16. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My latest goof was ending up with one bolt left after everything was back together. :scratch
    (Changing the timing belt & water pump in my Miata).
    During disassembly I put the bolts for each part in a different compartment with a sticky note of what they're for.
    (Lately I've been using the clear plastic trays the good apples come in, works great)

At the end of the job there was one 10mm bolt in the water pump compartment. :fpalm
    I had noticed it was left over when I installed the pump but there were no empty bolt holes so I decided I must have dropped it in that spot by accident and would discover where it went eventually... nope. :dunno

All back together, fill the radiator and start it up only to discover a serious leak. :becca

Drain the system again, remove the radiator, cam cover, belts, pulleys, alternator, power steering and AC brackets, timing belt coves, timing belt, and finally the water pump. No obvious cause for the leak so a careful reassembly ended up with no extra bolt left over. :confused
    I have no idea where that extra bolt went, I never found an empty bolt hole. :loco

All back together, fill the radiator and fire it up...
    The stinking leak is the same.
    ARGH!!!! :baldy :devildog

Third time taking it all apart, then a very close inspection of the new water pump showed one corner of the inlet flange was very thin and the factory gasket may not have sealed it. I cut a new gasket and made it full width of the flange and added gasket sealer to the skinny corner.
    All reassembled and filled I started it up...
    No leaking, finally. :thumb

I hate working on cars! :dirtdog
    wee-twin, garfey, Webman and 5 others like this.
  17. villageidiot

Oddometer:

Me too!!!! But I’ve done it daily for near 20 years. It’s a shame I’m good at it.
    WYO George and JagLite like this.
  18. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    V.I. if you were local and could stop by, I would turn you a new spacer. They are very easy to make if you have a lathe. All it takes to kill a spacer (and the bearings) is a gorilla with a breaker bar. You could pull a bearing with an inside puller and a jack screw to get it apart, but unless it is a special (read expensive) bearing it isn't worth saving. I owned and worked on several Buells. They used an aluminum spacer. Very easy to crush with overtorque.

As for bearings, I have seen far too many killed in assembly. You are supposed to install them with a BFH, right? Can you say spalled on installation?
    villageidiot likes this.
  19. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the spacer is $12 from Harley, it’s steel, I’m not worried about it.

I have a lathe, and probably the tubing. I froze the bearings, warmed the hub, and a light press fit in. Then everything shrinks/expands and it’s a super tight fit.

The spacer had some gouging on the ends, I filed it smooth, only takes a few thou. Shoulda stopped and got a spacer before install. But I didn’t.
    JagLite likes this.
  20. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    42506314-CC64-4853-84CD-9A2411E69902.jpeg

These showed up today, Mitas E-07
    spokester, sealsam, JagLite and 4 others like this.