1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

villageidiot's camper van build.

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by villageidiot, Nov 29, 2015.

1. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why don't you get rid of them so maybe it'll stop raining and I(we)can ride in the morning.

No excuses, my kid's are grown, and you ain't got none.:hmmmmm
    villageidiot likes this.
  2. kumatae

kumatae Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pretty kickass colby!! Cant wait to see the finished van. When kids get older, I got my eye on a van conversion (promaster) or a pop up trailer like opus-moto.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  3. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    i was thinkin promaster before i got the e150.

if i were to buy a new one, thats what id buy, but i just couldn't justify laying 30k out for a van vs the 7k i put out for the ford.

no kids for us. so the smaller ford ought to do for a while.
    kumatae likes this.
  4. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    still haven't gotten to the pop out windows yet, but i have accomplished a few steps.

i ordered the bedrug vrf92 for the rb ford van. it comes in tomorrow, curious to check it out.

i started making a hitch hauler for my dual sport, villageidiot style.

the way i have done my hitch haulers in the past (this is number 4) is to have 2 separate hitches on the outside of my regular trailer hitch, and I've made a big platform to hold stuff, all welded together, and it ends up being a huge monster thats a pain in the neck to put on and off.

this one will be the same, but different.

got the receivers from the hitch supply place, as well as the inner hitch piece. ($110, for 2 receivers, 2 inner pieces, and 2 pins/clips)

bought a 7' piece of 2"x2" box tube 3/16" wall, and 4 6"x6"triangle gusset plates from industrial metal supply ($30)

heres the inner hitch pieces, with a 3" riser, and a piece of 2x2 in mock up form, and a gusset laid across

[​IMG]

all my pieces cut and laid together, i got as far as tacking em together tonite, will finish weld tomorrow, as well as weld the gussets and install the 2 receiver hitches.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the long legs are 32" ill have a channel (still have to source) that bolts to the legs so i can install both legs, then bolt the bike channel to them, it will store easier, and be lighter to install. ill also have a ramp that bolts to the legs with wing nuts.
    kumatae likes this.
  5. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Get it welded up today??

Is that gunna hold a DR & KLX?:johntm
  6. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    got the legs welded up today, (no pics) didnt get the hitches on the van, and the metal shop didnt have the channel i needed.

as for holding both bikes...... nope. 400lbs of dr monster is load enough on the back of the van, but i could probably get yours inside.
    sealsam likes this.
  7. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Hey,

Where's the update? Whadda do all day?
    villageidiot likes this.
  8. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    got the hitches welded to the van, got the piece of channel for the bike to sit in, but i still have to make the stop for the end of the channel, and drill and tap a bunch of holes.
  9. gs'n

gs'n odd knob

Oddometer:
  10. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    front hitches are cool for putting trailers in tight spaces, but for me thats the extent of it. i don't want a bike in front of my headlights, over the nose, etc. if i towed a trailer with any sort of regularity (at all) id probably have a front hitch.
  11. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    still working on the hitch hauler, made a bunch of progress, but still have a little left to go.

the side hitches are on and welded, "legs" (not sure what to call them, but the part that goes into the hitch) are welded and double gusseted, got the ramp stop cut and welded on (spool mate hooked to the miller is awesome!!) and took the "tray" home to test fit it for its precious cargo.

heres the weekends pics, though the only thing i did this weekend was the tray and the stop, the rest was done at night and hard to get a pic outside in the dark.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

once i get the tray cut to length, ill put the legs back into the hitches, and square em up and mark out where the holes and everything are going to be on the tray etc, and get to drilling. the tray will be held on with (4) 3/8" bolts/nuts so it can be knocked down for storage, and because the whole thing has got to weight lost to 100lbs fully assembled. i also need to weld hook loops onto the legs for the straps. hoping i can get it all sorted out before the weekend, because rain is coming and i wanna go riding.
  12. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    Looks great, I see people with 2 bikes on the center single hitch which looks scary to me but somehow it works...yours looks much better and safer!
  13. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    thanks pv.

i don't like the single hitch idea, especially with a 380lb dr650 back there
  14. ktm360mx

ktm360mx Woof

Oddometer:
    Nice set up, I may have to pilfer the idea, as I carry 2 bikes on the back of my Motorhome. One question though, how do you weld up the hitches? I don't get how you have the 2 side receivers mounted to the van.
  15. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    They're welded to the side of the center trailer hitch.

On a motorhome, I've run 2 long ass tubes all the way to the frame, with plates that mount with 4 1/2" bolts, basically making a rear frame extension, then welding a hitch to either side of it.
  16. Zoef zoef

Zoef zoef Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice idea! The top connection has brackets and the bottom one has no brackets? I would be concerned about the strength of the bottom connection, as both connections have the same bending moment going through it.
  17. villageidiot

Oddometer:

The gussets go across all 3 pieces, on both sides of the legs. The legs are also fully welded all the way around both joints. I've made a hauler exactly like this, but with a 6'x4' tray on it, and drove with 4 small bikes (bout 650lbs) from ca to Michigan and back multiple times. If it fails, it fails, it's stronger than any of the standard off the shelf haulers.
    simbaboy and Zoef zoef like this.
  18. sealsam

Oddometer:
    So when the rack is mounted up, how far out will the rack be from the bumper?

Will you have to add lighting or relocate lic plate? I only ask cause it is CA ya know.....
  19. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    Centerline of the bike rail is 18" from bumper. End of the tubes are 34" from bumper. Close end of tubes is roughly 2" from bumper. Bike rail is ~2" per side wider than the van.

I don't think I'll have to put lights or relocate the plate, we'll see.
  20. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just the DR, Brother Sam.
    Despite the attempt at Biker Bromance, he ain't giving you and your KLX a ride. You are going to have to come out to Moab with J. Find a Caretaker for MIL.
    I love the idea of a double 'hitch' I may to have to visit the local U-Haul/Welder and see if they can copy your idea.
    Imu