VIN check sites

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Baroquenride, Feb 19, 2019.

1. johnareval0

johnareval0 n00b

Oddometer:
    If you cannot avail Carfax or AutoCheck due to their reports being supposed to be paid, that is fine. As others have already stated, there are alternatives where you can get a car report for free, without violating any copyright or intellectual property right issues.

Aside from NICB.org and SaferCar.gov, I would like to add this to my suggestion of free vehicle history reference:
    https://vincheck.info/free-vehicle-history/

Access original vehicle specifications, market value, future ownership cost estimates, safety rating, recalls, you name it
  2. phillyrube

phillyrube Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take a look at autoauction.io Covers a lot of dealer auction and salvage sales.
  3. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Somewhat related...is there a site where you can enter a VIN and it comes back with the specs for the vehicle ? I'm looking for a truck with an 8ft bed so I can tow my trailer and put my Tigger in the bed and trying to search for such a truck is nigh on impossible due to ads that are incomplete (no mention of the size of the bed) or incorrect (they say LB but they don't actually mean an 8ft bed) ?
  4. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    If you have the last 5 numbers of the VIN and the registration number you can go to the California DMV website and calculate the fees to register it. They figure out and itemize for you the fees, penalties and sates taxes. If you buy a car that hasn't been renewed in the past 2 years expect to pay the State at least $800 to register it.