Vintage 1996 Ride Report - SoCal to Alaska (with pictures)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rickj, Dec 9, 2018.

1. rickj

rickj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    JOURNAL NOTES, THURSDAY 7/04/1996

Start: 26,189
    End: 26,478

North on 97 from Cache Creek to Prince George

Very stormy conditions. Initially we were able to avoid heavy rain and winds, but thunderstorms all around us. Eventually we were heavy rains, hail, and strong winds. We estimate that we rode 100 miles through rain and another 75 miles through intermittent rain. Temperatures pretty cold, especially as we approached Prince George.

Only serious problem with wetness was with pants where the stretch panels are not waterproof. Rainwater funnels off tank bag directly onto that area! (I’ll try to get some Scotchguard. If that doesn’t work – duct tape!)

July 4, 5.JPG

July 4 Pic 1.jpg

This was probably a stop that we had made to try to dry out a bit. (Anybody recognize this rest stop?) As mentioned in my journal, my lower legs were getting soaked in the rain as the rain water was being funneled from the tank bag's side pocket directly onto the top of my knees. My Motoport Canyon Cordura pants were pretty water resistant and I had also sprayed them with Scotch Guard, but they had an expandable section in front of my knees that water went right through! (I don't think Gore-Tex had been developed yet.) I would eventually wrap the stretch panels with duct tape, which worked really well but looked very strange.

Tom was having a tougher time in the rain with his leather chaps and jacket. He had bought some inexpensive rain gear to throw over his pants and jacket, but it was more like the type you carry for a one-time emergency use. It had quickly shredded in the wind and was almost useless. He was also wearing some generic leather boots that had a hole in the bottom, so he was literally getting soaked from head to feet!

We stayed in a hotel that night and the next, and Tom had ropes going across the room from which he hung all his wet clothes. I wish that I had helped him get prepared for the trip...
  2. rickj

Oddometer:
    JOURNAL NOTES, FRIDAY 7/05/1996

I don't have any notes in my journal for this day, as it was a down day with no riding. I was, however, working on finding out about road conditions ahead. We were getting far enough north at this point that we were encountering lots of road construction zones and just less-than-ideal road conditions generally. I didn't ride the Alaska Highway again until this last summer, and I can say that the road is far better now than it had been in 1996!

I had literally no off-road experience on motorcycles at that time, and the heavily loaded FJ1200 was far from an adventure bike! Even so, I was learning how to ride through the rough sections out of necessity and managed to keep the bike upright the entire trip. I do recall seeing some interesting BMW bikes with metal panniers, but I didn't know much about them at that time. Interestingly, there were many Gold Wings, some towing trailers, and Harley Davidsons on the road.

The image below was scanned from my journal.

July 5 Pics (Notes).jpg
    djroszina likes this.
  3. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Enjoying your report! I drove up a few weeks behind you that summer moving from my home town of Tacoma, WA to Sitka, AK. That was my second drive to Alaska, but my first ride wouldn’t be until summer of 1998. Loving the “old” pics!

(PS - they did indeed have Gore-Tex then - learned ALL about it living in the. 100”+ annual rainfall of southeast Alaska - but it was quite expensive still.)
    rickj likes this.
  4. rickj

Oddometer:
    JOURNAL NOTES, SATURDAY 7/06/1996

Start: 26,478
    End: 26,804

North on 97 to Chetwynd. North on 29 through Hudson’s Hope, bypassing Dawson Creek. Intersect Alaska Highway above Fort John to near Wonowan.

Had stayed @ Prince George in motel waiting for weather to clear. Blue skies in the morning as we headed north. Initially weather was good and it appeared storm had moved to the east. As we headed north we noticed the clouds getting worse. Started drizzling before intersection of 96 & 29 @ Chetwynd. Drizzle turned to rain shortly after Peace River Dam and continued rest of day. Tricky curves and road conditions through Hudson’s Hope loop. A guy we met earlier at gas station had said that he has seen 1 bear, 7-8 deer and several moose. We only saw a few deer. Road construction for about 5 kilometers along the way. Very slow, dirt, pot holes, gravel, etc.

July 6.JPG

July 6 Pic 1.jpg

July 6 Pic 2.jpg

I'm not exactly sure where I took these two pictures, but it looks more like the Cassiar than the Alcan! It's noteworthy that we bypassed Dawson Creek, the official start of the Alaska Highway, in favor of the Hudson's Hope loop. Riding the Alaska Highway was a large part of this ride, but I think some other riders had told us that the Hudson's Hope loop was a better ride and very scenic. We were really enjoying the beauty of British Columbia, so we chose this route, rather than the obligatory picture by the historic Dawson Creek Mile 0 marker. (We also bypassed Dawson Creek on our ride this past summer.)

The roads were getting more challenging, but I was truly enjoying the adventure at this point. I had my sights on Alaska though!
    djroszina likes this.
  5. rickj

Oddometer:
    JOURNAL NOTES, SUNDAY 7/07/1996

Start: 26,804
    End: 27,118

Shepard’s Inn near Wenonan to Summit Lake, both along Alaska Highway.

Anticipating rain we packed the bikes up as dry as possible. Applied duct tape to seams of Canyon pants, etc. Thunderclouds in the distance looked ominous, but it never rained all day. We encountered some minor drizzle a few times.

Tom called weather info and it stated that afternoon should be clearing, so we pressed on while dry. Uneventful day until we reached Steamboat area where the scenery turned spectacular. Stopped at an overlook over the valley and river. Awesome views! Reminded me of the Blue Mountains in Australia. The ride from Steamboat to Lake Summit was likely the most pleasant riding I have ever done. Beautiful forest scenery. River running near road. Snow covered Rockies in the distance. White dandelions along roadside.

8:00 PM, clear skies, bright, no wind, no traffic… HEAVEN!

This is the highest point along the Alaska Highway even though it only gets up to 4250 feet @ Lake Summit. A few miles before Lake Summit area we spotted a large male Caribou along side of road. He let us take a few pictures and video before he ran off. Shortly thereafter we saw a beautiful bird, possibly a Golden Eagle. Almost felt like riding on as we reached Lake Summit as conditions were ideal. Camped out in private campground near a group with Honda Goldwings. (Goldwings seem to be the motorcycle of choice for this type of ride.) Anticipating some great scenery as we ride through the Canadian Rockies.

Turned in about 11:45 PM and it still wasn’t dark! Woke up about 3:30 and morning sun must have been appearing already as it was not completely dark! Slept with pepper spray nearby…

July 7.JPG

July 7 Pic 1.jpg

July 7 Pic 2.jpg

July 7 Pic 3.jpg

My journal comments show how excited about the ride I was becoming. This day was one of those days that you're enjoying the ride so much that you want to just keep going. In particular, I enjoyed the early evening riding with the sun low on the horizon, calm air, and we also seemed to see more wildlife later in the day.

The comment about sleeping with the pepper spray nearby is interesting. The owners of the campground had told us that there had been a grizzly attack a few days earlier. I can't remember the details, but I do remember being nervous! I had purchased some bear spray in a store for hunters a few days earlier, but it had remained in its cellophane packaging - until this day! There were also large claw marks on the tree trunk right behind my tent, so I knew this area had been claimed.

Tom set up his tent nearby and foolishly decided to see what the bear spray was all about. He was several feet away from me when he sprayed it away from himself, but I was feeling the burn and coughing within seconds!
    NSFW and djroszina like this.
  6. rickj

Oddometer:
    JOURNAL NOTES, MONDAY 7/08/1996

Start: 27,118
    End: 27,371

Lake Summit to Watson Lake.

Absolutely the best and worst motorcycle riding day of my life! Road conditions and weather initially good. Our progress was very slow due to numerous stops to photograph the scenery and the wildlife. This area and the route leading to Lake Summit is truly a motorcyclist’s dream! The Canadian portion of the Rockies are majestic and still had some snow. Lots of streams carrying the melted snow, but they were clearly not as full or high as they had been in the early Spring.

Learned that we should not ignore road postings regarding wildlife. First warning was to watch for sheep in the roadway. They were all over the road! Great photo opportunity with bighorn sheep in the foreground and Rockies in the background. Scenery changed dramatically leaving the Rockies, but still awesome.

Muncho Lake was beautiful! Turquoise colored water due to the silt carried down the mountains suspended in the water and coating the bottom of the lake. Great road along the lake.

Things turned bad fast as road conditions were dismal! ~28 miles of road construction, mostly mud! Car in front of us spun out of control as it hit the first patch of mud. Rerouting Alcan highway in parts. Most challenging riding I have ever done. We encountered several construction areas as we neared Watson Lake. I lost control of bike at about 40 mph in the mud as the contour of road changed. Back tire swerved quickly and front end got violent. All this commotion kicked up a bunch of mud which covered Tom’s face shield and he almost lost control!

Tom saw a moose with baby moose and we got some good pictures of a black bear along side of road. I was able to get very close, but I kept the engine running. Looked like a young bead just starting on his own.

Pulled into Watson Lake and found a place to eat. Weather was marginal, but we decided to camp out. After dinner though, we noticed a storm developing. As quickly as we could determine its direct (toward us), we realized camping was not a good idea. Tom called around and found that no rooms were available due to 2 tour busses that had been following our route for days. We were told of a campground 7 miles out of town that had cover. Winds kicked up, hail, rain as we tried to outrun the storm. We found turnoff to campground but it was several miles back in the woods. We found the covered area and set up under the canopy even though it was posted to the contrary. Cold, rainy and windy. Slept with the bear deterrent close by…

July 8.JPG

July 8 Pic 1.jpg

July 8 Pic 3.jpg

A short 253 mile day, but an exciting one. "Absolutely the best and worst motorcycle riding day of my life!" pretty much says it all for that day, much of which I remember well. The ride through the Rockies was and remains a gorgeous ride, and the road along Muncho Lake is one that that you can't forget about. We rode there again this last summer and it was equally as impressive. The color of Muncho Lake is something I had not seen up till that point, and probably one of the most beautiful lakes I have ever seen. I don't recall seeing the Outpost Cafe on this summer's trip, so I expect it is long gone. Anybody remember this place? I do recall riding by some other mom-and-pop type establishments along the Alaska Highway this year that were now closed and being reclaimed by Mother Nature.

I must have learned about the muddy construction zones along the Alaska Highway while I was planning trip, as I had experienced the tank slapper event in some dreams. I was likely nervous about riding this bike in mud and had been thinking about them during my sleep, and I had gone through the motions of keeping the bike under control several times in these dreams. Clairvoyant or just scared?

We all experience the constructions zones if we ride this far north, but it seems that the construction zones back in those days seemed much longer than today's. Add heavy rain to the mix and it can be deadly. The FJ1200 was known to have problems with the steering head bearings, and my bike was no exception. I had taken it to the Yamaha shop in my hometown to have it looked at and the mechanic had simply tightened them (too much) rather than replace them. That, combined with the weight I was carrying, really impacted how the front of the bike was handling, making it even more challenging on tough road conditions.

No Internet or cell phones in those days! It was stops at the visitor information centers, word of mouth with other riders at gas stations, telephone books, and pay phones. It's pretty ironic that two busloads of tourists filled the available rooms in Watson Lake!

The muddy road going up to the campground was pretty challenging, and we were so relieved to find a canopy to set up our tents under. There were no other campers in the area, so we had the place to ourselves.

I've only posted a couple pictures that I have from that day, but I'll post a few more below.
    djroszina likes this.
  7. rickj

Oddometer:
    A few more pictures from July 8th, 1996.

July 8 Pic 2.jpg

July 8 Pic 5.jpg

July 8 Pic 6.jpg
    djroszina likes this.
  8. rickj

Oddometer:
    JOURNAL NOTES, TUESDAY 7/09/1996

Start: 27,371
    End: 27,671

Watson Lake to Whitehorse.

Got up early to avoid problem with Rangers, even though we didn’t see any. Still raining. Loaded up the bikes and headed back into town for breakfast. Hard to find station with air so I could check tires. Got some breakfast and took off in the rain. Stopped at Liard Hot Springs and got a few pictures. Still raining off and on.

Tried to stop @ Fireside but the owner wouldn’t let us in because we were wet. Bad road conditions and rain most of the day.

Crossed over the continental divide. Got a motel in Whitehorse.

July 9.JPG

July 9 Pic 2.jpg
    July 9 Pic 1.jpg

July 9 Pic 3.jpg

It looks to me that this picture of the Teslin Bridge was taken from the north side of the bridge. The Yukon Motel is located there right now, along with the Lakeshore RV Park, but I'm not sure if it was there in 1996. On this year's strip we stopped by there to see of there we could score a campsite, but they were full as a popular concert was happening the next day. They suggested that we camp on the lot across the street, which we did. Unfortunately, a bunch of partying hooligans took over the rest of the lot after we set up, so there was no sleep that night!

A few more pictures of that day below...
    djroszina likes this.
  9. rickj

Oddometer:
    July 9 Pic 5.jpg

July 9 Pic 4.jpg
  10. rickj

Oddometer:
    JOURNAL NOTES, WEDNESDAY 7/10/1996

Start: 27,671
    End: 28,026

Whitehorse to Dawson City along Klondike Highway.

Stopped off @ Yamaha to have them adjust chain which was wearing pretty fast. The owner told me that my fork head bearings were bad, which was why I was having trouble with handling in the rough stuff. No parts and it would take a few days to get them in. He loosened up the bearing nuts a little and it improved, but he advised getting them fixed at Fairbanks if there was a Yamaha dealer.

We decided to bypass the Alaska Highway to Tok, Alaska on the advice from the motorcycle shop and gas station. 115 miles further by going up the Dawson City, but road conditions supposedly better.

Halfway up Tom discovered that the 187 miles stretch from Dawson City to Tok is unpaved! All we can do is hope that it’s not raining.

Rained on us the last half of the ride. Pulled into Dawson City about midnight, but still not dark! Went into town, but no hotel rooms available according to one hotel we stopped at. Town resembles an old western town with mud roads, raised wood sidewalks, tin buildings, and classic wooden buildings. Rock quarries everywhere!

We pulled into a camping area and set up camp about 12:00. Still not dark. Appeared like dusk. Clouds to east painted red at bases.

First time riding under the midnight sun…

July 10, 11.JPG

July10 Pic 1.jpg

July11 Pic 6.jpg

July 11 Pic 2.jpg

Our plans had been to ride straight up the Alaska Highway through Tok, Alaska and then ride up the Fairbanks. However, the road conditions were getting really challenging and there were many reports of motorcyclists getting hurt. The suggestion of riding north up the Klondike highway instead, which was said to be in better condition, sounded like the right thing to do. At that point I had never heard of Dawson City, and we weren't told that the road to get back on track to Tok was unpaved! What were we getting ourselves into? Had we made a mistake?

This turned out to be the best mistake we made on this trip, as we loved Dawson City. In fact, we liked it so much that we decided to take a down day and enjoy exploring the town the next day. I've been to Dawson two more times and spent extra time there each time. It is always one of the main draws to riding north again.

"First time riding under the midnight sun..."
    djroszina likes this.
  11. rickj

Oddometer:
    JOURNAL NOTES, THURSDAY 7/11/1996

DAY OFF IN DAWSON CITY

Start: 28,026
    End: 28,052

Cruised around town and took pictures, enjoyed the views, etc. Went to a story telling at Robert Service cabin. Very interesting and enjoyable. Did some shopping and had the stuff shipped home.

26 miles cruising around the area.

July 11 Pic 1.jpg

July 11 Pic 3.jpg

July 11 Pic 4.jpg

July 11 Pic 5.jpg
    yokesman and djroszina like this.
  12. djroszina

djroszina Long timer

Oddometer:
    Loving it! On my '96 trip up I too was unaware of the northern loop through Dawson City, and just stayed on the ALCAN to Tok. I remember gravel, but no real gnarly construction. When gassing up at the Yukon Moel there were two Yamaha Ventures from Michigan each with a trailer with a Yamaha XT 500. They said they attempted the Dalton on the XTs but could only make it to the Arctic Circle...weather and muddy road turned them around.
  13. rickj

Oddometer:
    It was a fate of luck that directed us to Dawson. Our goal had been a simple one; ride the Alcan as far north as Fairbanks, head up on the Dalton as far as the arctic circle, and then over to Anchorage where I had arranged for the bikes to be shipped back. I think it was seen somewhat as a conquest to make it that far north, in addition to an awesome ride! The two other trips I made since were a bit more creative, and we were able to explore far more of the area.

I don't think the gravel roads were the the big issue, and we had adapted to riding them - it was the heavy rains and slick roads as I recall. The Alcan is certainly far better today! I do remember some bikes towing trailers, but they were Gold Wings.

Too bad we hadn't run into each other! I would likely remember it, as I had been looking for a BMW K100 prior to getting my FJ1200.
  14. rickj

Oddometer:
    Some before and after pictures:

July 1996
    July10 Pic 1.jpg

July 2018
    DSC01774.JPG
  15. rickj

Oddometer:
    July 1996
    July 11 Pic 5.jpg

July 2018
    DSC01921.JPG
    Chuck Pryce likes this.
  16. rickj

Oddometer:
    JOURNAL NOTES, FRIDAY 7/12/1996

Start: 28,052
    End: 28,478

Crossed the Yukon river via ferry to Top of the World Highway. 187 miles on unpaved road to Alaska Highway. North to Tok, then Fairbanks.

Tom and I decided to ride on our own. We crossed in the ferry together then I accelerated past a gas truck going up hill. Last I saw of Tom. First 70 miles was great! Although unpaved, the dirt is so compacted that it is extremely hard. Able to ride 60+ on much of the road on Canadian side. A few sections were rough ad there was one ten mile stretch which was paved.

Easy to understand why it is called the Top of the World Highway! The road meanders across the tops of the mountains with vast, majestic views on both sides of the road. The gas truck I passed initially kept me motivated to go fast as he was kicking up and incredible amount of dust.

Entering the US Alaska border the condition of the road immediately became worse. Hard pack with marble or ball bearing type rocks on it. Steep turns without notice, ruts, bumps, washboard, etc. Just when it was starting to look better, I came across the first of two construction zones, the last one lasting 17 miles. Light mud, ruts, etc.

Stopped at the Chicken Creek mining operation of bygone years and took a few pictures. Tempted to pan for gold, but wanted to make up one day to return to Jackie early.

Major sign of relief when I finally finished up on the construction zone and intersected the Alaska Highway. 12 miles to Tok where I had lunch, but no Corona as I had been wanting. Reached Tok by 2:20PM so completed the 187 miles offroad in 5 hours!

Road to Fairbanks nicely paved (some REAL ASPHALT!!), but lots of ups / downs due to ice heaves. Very tired as I approached Fairbanks, but a very nice stop at North Pole. Got some pictures for the kids and some postcards and stamps.

Bike overheated while cruising around trying to find a motel. A little low on oil. After getting a room, I let it cool down a few hours, then wiped mud off the motor. Seems to be OK now. Checked oil and added ¼ quart. Steering has loosened up nicely.

Planning on going to Arctic Circle tomorrow AM. According to the Visitor Information center the 115 miles gravel Dalton Highway is in good condition, with only one real bad area @ 114 to 115. Gas at mile 0 and mile 56. Should be able to do 118 miles loop OK. Weather channel says good weather in site.

July 12.JPG

July 12 Pic 1.jpg

July 12 Pic 2.jpg

July 12 Pic 3.jpg

Tom and I weren't getting along and our priorities and riding styles were dramatically different, which is why I decided to ride off on my own. Interesting to read my comments on the TOTWH, and I was really lucky that the conditions were dry as we'd been seeing rain pretty much every day up till that point! We had no plans to ride up the Klondike highway on this ride, so Dawson and the TOTWH were completely unknown to me. The TOTWH and Dawson made a deep impression on me, and I wanted to come back and experience them again. (I did visit and spend several days in Dawson and rode the TOTWH again in 2015 and 2018.) I don't recall seeing the old cabin pictured above on the two subsequent trips. Anybody remember this relic?

Chicken, Alaska was much smaller in 1996 and not nearly as developed as it is now. Prior to my 2015 trip I had read about how it had grown into a major tourist attraction, but I was shocked as I was coming down the hill toward Chicken!

I am a bit surprised that I didn't mention stopping at the Jack Wade gold dredge, which was sitting off the TOTWH highway. Some pictures of that below.
    yokesman and djroszina like this.
  17. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    great job rick in able to resurrect your journal into a Ride Report.

lots of history and changes that took place. glad you still remember them...haha

thanks.
  18. rickj

Oddometer:
    I was fascinated with the Jack Wade Gold Dredge that was sitting off the road. I stopped and climbed down the hill so I could take some pictures of it and explore the inside of it. At that time I didn't know exactly what it was or how it worked, but I just knew that it must have been something for panning for gold. I enjoy watching the TV reality show Gold Rush on TV, particularly Tony Beets' operation, as he has renovated an old gold dredge like the one pictured here that is up and working. He's dismantling another one that he bought for $1 Million in this season's show and bringing it in pieces up the Dawson. I think he's going to set it up in nearby Bonanza Creek.

Here's a website with some more information on the dredge and a great collection of photos from the Library of Congress Historic American Engineering Collection: HERE

Here's a short video that someone took before the dredge was dismantled: HERE

Wondering where Jack Wade is? HERE

If you're interested in the behemoth gold dredges that operated in the Klondike, definitely go check out Dredge #4 near Dawson City on your next visit.

July 12 Pic 4.jpg

July 12 Pic 5.jpg

July 12 Pic 6.jpg
    ChadADV likes this.
  19. rickj

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Joel. Tom was actually filming much of our trip and I was able to borrow the first of two cassettes that survived and converted them to DVD. That, along with my notes, are helping with the memories, but they are definitely fading!

The pictures I've scanned and posted are some of the 35 mm ones I have from the trip in a photo album. I've tried to find the rest of the pictures with no luck, so this may be the last of the pictures for this RR. I'm going to keep looking and hopefully I can find them.

A few more days of journal notes coming...
    djroszina and yokesman like this.
  20. MonkeyBut

MonkeyBut Fuel Whore

Oddometer:
    This has been fantastic. Thank you for sharing. It's amazing that you had planned, as you should, but 'run what you brung.' No extra tires sent ahead of time to be mounted. No heated gear. No 'real' waterproof riding gear. No GPS, cell phones, tablets, chargers or computers. No little top boil stoves, extra food. No Camping World stuff. No 'Adventure Bikes!' No bullshit. Balls out and go. Awesome!!!
    fastpast and djroszina like this.