Vintage/Classic Enduro, Dual Sport and scrambler Bikes

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by mikem9, Dec 27, 2011.

1. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Pipe looks strange ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Strange for a reason. Hercules off road rotary , they made 1800 of these. Really ?
  2. robtg

robtg Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^ I would love to see that all apart scattered on the work bench.
    JagLite and shinyribs like this.
  3. motorcyclefanatic

motorcyclefanatic The name says it all

Oddometer:
    Great.

Now that's another bike I'll be on the hunt for.

Will it ever end? Yep, when I die.
    JagLite likes this.
  4. Ozarkroadrunner

Ozarkroadrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This 69 TR25 came to live with me for a while.

Attached Files:

Scoozi, JagLite and Thumpermeister like this.
  5. Thumpermeister

Thumpermeister roost maker

Oddometer:
  6. motocrossross

motocrossross Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Its pretty main stream compared to the exotic machines you guys post here. This came out of a grain bin on a local farm last year. Where it had sat for more than 25 years. There was lost of rust, and every seal had to be replaced, but its a runner now. Mine is on the porch, the other one is my buddies. IMG_20200410_125406697_HDR~3.jpg
    chazbird, Scoozi, spokester and 15 others like this.
  7. Mudclod

Mudclod Mojo Moto

Oddometer:
    Adjustments.jpg
    numbat, RowBust and JagLite like this.
  8. roadholder

roadholder Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember their road going Wankel bikes….never heard of this one!
  9. roadholder

roadholder Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. Thumpermeister

Thumpermeister roost maker

Oddometer:
    I had one back in the day. Great memories.
    Old Smokey and JagLite like this.
  11. msahern5

msahern5 Jumping at Shadows

Oddometer:
    Found a little bit of single track yesterday. 7058DF7E-3621-40A3-93C2-394919E3F77A.jpeg
    Velocipede, Euromad, Scoozi and 13 others like this.
  12. Vinduroman

Vinduroman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a cool pic and a cool bike!

What year and model is your Triumph? A scrambler of some type? (I'm not well versed on vintage British thumpers, but I do think they're neat.)

V-man
  13. msahern5

msahern5 Jumping at Shadows

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the compliment.

It’s a ‘70 500 T100C twin. It came from the factory with dual mufflers up the side. The original tank was a purple and silver. The bike had only 2200 miles on it when I bought it in ‘92 but had been stored in a basement since the original owner dropped it in ‘72. The tank was perfect so it’s displayed in my office and replaced with one I painted. The original pipes were rotted from the inside from the damp basement so I ordered the single Siamesed exhaust from GB. That exhaust was found on earlier models and some later West coast models. It’s a largely original, sweet dependable runner, not really powerful but fun. Repro parts are plentiful since the basic model was built In 350/500 form for over a decade. It’s the bike I lusted after when I was a kid. I love it.
    spokester, Honda-50 and JagLite like this.
  14. Vinduroman

Vinduroman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply!

I completely understand on a bike being "older, less tech, dependable runner, etc", and yet, in spite of the old tech "warts", we still love it. That's one of the reasons there's four vintage enduro tiddlers in our garage alongside the "modern" bikes we use for dual sport!

V-man
    msahern5, Honda-50 and JagLite like this.
  15. Mudclod

Mudclod Mojo Moto

Oddometer:
  16. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    I had a Cheney Triumph, looked like that but different - twin down tube, smaller size box section swing arm rotated 90 deg, so like a diamond shape. Polished alloy tank, Rickman hubs with high tensile steel rims, 20'' front. It was a '67. I had my Rickman Metisse at the time, also with a T100C engine, and I prefered the Rickman, it was a scrambler and made to ride in a farm paddock made into a scrambles track for the day...it'd do full lock slides with huge rooster tails of top soil. I once read a Dirt Bike mag test on a Matchless Metisse, and they called it a sliding fool, and that was me....sideways everywhere.

The Cheney was an MX bike - lighter, taller, shorter, made for point and squirt...I wasn't into point and squirt. I loved the T100C engine, it was a real screamer. I'd heard guys say they would rev them to 10,000rpm, and I've taken one with a tacho to 9,500...and that's nothing to what I'd do with mine. So a bit disappointed to see to see him trundling around at low revs on that Cheney, he needs to rev the nuts off it.
  18. mike in idaho

mike in idaho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    033.JPG
    Friend of mine built this 500 Cheney bike, homemade aluminum cylinder(450 Honda sleeves), he was a on light weight kick those days. He said he had it down to around 220pounds,ready to ride.
  19. Garry Mayfield

Garry Mayfield AHRMA 20z

Oddometer:
    This Cheney belongs to my buddy. It is one of the frames made around 2000 that were controversial because of their updated design not being considered "period" by AHRMA. Maybe same in UK and Europe, I never heard. The frame is quite different from previous Cheney designs and includes the single downtube and large tapered swingarm prominent on the for sale WIN_20200117_16_32_21_Pro.jpg red 500 pictured above. This one is a left shift hotted-up flat track, single-carb 750 and too fast for its brakes.
  20. Garry Mayfield

Garry Mayfield AHRMA 20z

Oddometer:
    This is my Cheney. Conventional style frame, 650 mildly hotted-up, built for durability. It is fun and like previously mentioned rides different from a Rickman. I like them both and impossible to judge which one I like better as one is a 500, the other a 650. The only thing I know for sure is that when used for a cross-country type event the Rickman is terrible to drag its footpegs on humps and bumps. Well, that's ok as the Rickman was designed for motocross, not cross-country events laid out twenty to fifty years later than its 1965 era. WIN_20200902_17_42_15_Pro.jpg WIN_20200902_17_43_15_Pro.jpg This Cheney has more clearance and yes indeed, feels more like a modern cut-and-thrust chassis than the natural slider Rickman.
    numbat, KennyV, Fast Idle and 5 others like this.