Vintage Engine Art

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Rizingson, Apr 13, 2014.

1. jay pc

jay pc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Blatant... Capriolo ? None of their engines (that I can find) look exactly like that. Bummer. :becca
  2. Tanshanomi

Tanshanomi Your Favorite Uncle Supporter

Oddometer:
    Moto Morini single. I want to say 175 Settebello, but the external oil line is an anomaly and the valve cover looks slightly different. The unbored kick starter boss makes me think factory racer?

image.jpg
    fxray, ullukk, aptbldr and 2 others like this.
  3. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
    F61DD998-35BA-4B74-BF25-7FA39D6CC1E8.jpeg

Done good.
    wmfleet2 likes this.
  4. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
    How about this one?

47FCD039-A676-4289-B3BC-79F8707110D1.jpeg

0E41B221-D7D4-4979-BF55-4F199B05D3F0.jpeg
  5. R80st

R80st Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Scan.jpeg

This is a painting made by Claude Yvel. "ariel 500" 1971. Huile sur toile. . Exposition 1977 Galerie du Luxembourg- Paris
    Scoozi, ullukk and flei like this.
  6. Thumpermeister

Thumpermeister roost maker

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Scoozi, fxray, jas67 and 5 others like this.
  7. zzzak

zzzak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. roadholder

roadholder Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. Tanshanomi

Oddometer:
    but-why.gif
    Scoozi, wmfleet2 and robtg like this.
  10. snarlyjohn

snarlyjohn Human money repellant

Oddometer:
    Ah, it was obviously built for the emerging sport of RLSR racing (Reverse Land Speed Record). RLSR brings excitement back into racing - imagine riding a bike backwards up the salt at 160mph, using just the mirrors to keep within the markers and praying that the bike stays stable. The sight of a bike going into a backwards wobble at speed is absolutely hilarious and something you'll never forget.

Of course the bikes have to be specially modified - apart from the obvious reverse rotation camshaft the heads are usually reversed to keep the exhaust side in the cooling airstream while the intake is curled around to assist airflow into the engine. Keep an eye out for this exciting new sport/comedy - it's bound to take off.
    Scoozi, numbat, knudln and 2 others like this.
  11. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Philthy64, mslim, ullukk and 6 others like this.
  12. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    Lucas generator out for a rebuild....again.
    Philthy64 and zzzak like this.
  13. snarlyjohn

Oddometer:
    Surely you don't need to do this every ninety years?
  14. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    Embarrassed to join in the Lucas bashing, I hate it when people do that. I reality the generator was removed for racing, the shell is to plug the hole. That's why pre unit performance Triumphs had a magneto, the Speedtwin and Thunderbird had alternators.
    snarlyjohn and zzzak like this.
  15. snarlyjohn

Oddometer:
    I've never had a bike with Lucas electrics but I have had cars (and a truck) with them. Didn't have any real problems and I'm not convinced the Lucas stuff was any worse than the other major brands of the era. If it's flaky electrics you're after then my experience would indicate early Spanish or Italian bikes would be a good place to start looking. Some early Bultacos incorporated a ballast resistor and the stoplight bulb into the primary ignition circuit, so that if the bulb blew the spark would disappear when you applied the brakes. I shit you not - they made the Prince of Darkness look like a ray of sunshine. Lucas actually had some good ideas - I especially liked the GM HEI module that was repackaged in an alloy box and used on some Jaguars I think.
  16. Thumpermeister

Thumpermeister roost maker

Oddometer:
  17. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    As I posted in a thread in Shiny Things, the rubbish Lucas game is mainly an American thing...it was foreign, they didn't understand it, so blame Lucas. For those of us in other countries where Lucas was the normal car or bike electrical system,it wasn't a problem at all. I have a problem with Japanese motorcycle electrics of the 20th Century - a green wire goes into a connector block, and comes out orange...how the hell are you going to trace a wiring fault when they do stuff like that !?
    robtg and snarlyjohn like this.
  18. Tanshanomi

Oddometer:
    I had a '71 B50SS that had a whole clan of gremlins living in the electrics. I had a '79 Bonnie T140E that never gave me the slightest lick of trouble. Lucas Rita electronic ignition systems are excellent.
  19. JBSmith

JBSmith Ink-stained wretch

Oddometer:
    Might as well throw in my tuppence. I worked in the parts department of a BMC dealer in San Rafael, California, in the early 1970s. Several of the mechanics were Brits and there were no harsher critics of Lucas anywhere.

I also briefly worked at a Triumph-Norton-BSA dealer in San Jose. The parts manager there once met a Lucas rep at an intro or something and asked him why his stuff was so unreliable. The rep informed him that any real or perceived deficiencies in OE bike and car parts was down to the manufacturers themselves, who wanted everything made as cheaply as possible. Lucas was entirely capable of making better and more reliable parts, he said, if the customer was willing to pay for them, but not all were.

Still, I worked at that BMC dealer for two years and I swear half of the parts I sold both to the public and to the shop were Lucas switches for Jaguar sedans and starters for everything else.
  20. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    You sold new starters ? Obviously no one knew how to repair them. I never fitted a new Lucas starter back in the day, we just rebuilt them. A couple of weeks ago I fitted a brand new Lucas starter to a Massey Ferguson 135 - You can get these things so cheap now, it might not last 40 years like the original, but will see out the tractor.