Vintage Motocross Triumph, Old Guy Build.

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Nemosengineer, Sep 4, 2017.

1. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    Words I agree with wholeheartedly: "The joys of British engineering are never ending, but riding any of the big British roadsters has always put a smile on my face."

When I first started riding on the street I bought a Triumph Bonneville because to me that was the very essence of motorcycling. All of the pictures of my father's various Brit Bikes dictated my taste. Unfortunately I bought a '79 a bad year at the end of the run, and I spent much more time tinkering than riding. Made at least 5 street side repairs and it got to be too much. Dad sold me his old R60 BMW and I sold the Triumph. Would love to have another.

OK, high jack over, keep up the good work!
    JagLite and Nemosengineer like this.
  2. Nemosengineer

Nemosengineer Hair Ball Supporter

Oddometer:
    I need the measurement from the center of the rear axle to the center of the footpeg, and from the ground to the top of the footpeg, for a 1974 or earlier Husqvarna, CZ, or Maico. These are dimensions I can't find anywhere, so your help is appreciated.

: Mike
  3. dpforth

dpforth no inline fours

Oddometer:
    From 1972 Maico MC250: axle (roughly centre of slot) to peg - 24"; peg height 11.25"
  4. Nemosengineer

Oddometer:
    Hi Dpforth,
    Thank you very much for taking those measurements, my new old frame is arriving by UPS tomorrow and that information will keep me playing in the garage for hours. I just got home from work, so sorry it took so long to reply.

dpforth and nickguzzi like this.
  5. Nemosengineer

Oddometer:
    I took the day off to sign for the delivery of my frame, I am on my third cup of coffee and I'm thoroughly jacked. Photos will be up as soon as it gets here. I have high hopes for this frame even though I have only had internet photos to go by, so you guys will get to see in almost real time if I got screwed or not...
    My projects tend to go like this, in times of money I collect parts, in times of no money I get work done, this thread looks a little psychotic because of this. I do have a clear vision of where the bike is going and having all the major parts in one place helps with the project planning and allows me time to carefully plan modifications, perform sanitary fabrications, keep things simple, and avoid things that cause problems down line.
    I really need to thank everyone that has helped me and that follows this thread, dpforth's help with footpeg location deserves a special call out and thanks for taking the time to measure his Maico for me.

More to follow: Mike
  6. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    Really enjoying this Mike

May I add some music to your thread . . . . one of my favourite Ian Dury songs and this build seems to fit it perfectly :-)

flei and Nemosengineer like this.
  7. Nemosengineer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Pezz_gs,
    I love Ian Dury and that improved my mood as I have been waiting for UPS all day, it's 7:30 PM now so I have given up hope of seeing my frame today, maybe tomorrow we will see how it goes.

[​IMG]

spokester, JagLite and villageidiot like this.
  8. Nemosengineer

Oddometer:
    Well the 67' TR-6 frame finally showed up. Guess what... Its a winner!!! No major rust, all the tubes are sound, zero damage, 4 drilled holes to weld up in non critical areas of the frame, other than that no butchery was performed.
    I loosely assembled the frame after this photo was taken to verify the shock mounts lined up, and all is good. A straight edge check on the frame tubes was good, the subframe just slots into place with no gaps or twists and all the holes line up. the swingarm is a nice fit in its mounts and grease was still in the pivot, the pivot bolt, bushings, spacers are also in nice condition.
    Butchery is planned... More to follow.

[​IMG]

Fast Idle, Pezz_gs, JagLite and 3 others like this.
  9. Nemosengineer

Oddometer:
    Preview.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Pezz_gs, JagLite and dpforth like this.
  10. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Luckie Sportie :)
    Nemosengineer likes this.
  11. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a fookin' Falta Replica!!!

DSCN0949.JPG [​IMG]
    JagLite and Nemosengineer like this.
  12. Nemosengineer

Oddometer:
    New and fun...

New EBC Shoes for the Husky Hubs.
    [​IMG]

A few bits in work.
    [​IMG]

My stator showed up without a timing mark on it, due to the digital advance and the timing procedure required for it, any attempt at timing it would be at best a destructive guess. The nice folks at Electrex World fixed me up with the correct information in short order, great customer service and support. The static timing is set with a degree wheel at 38 degrees BTDC on the mark shown below (ignition curve is programed into the CDI box and is fully advanced at 6000 RPM), no way I would have figured that one out.
    [​IMG]

More Ian Dury music for a Saturday night.
  13. Nemosengineer

Oddometer:

CZ Has always been near my heart, an amazing story of genius and the incompetence of management, CZ could have built this in 1983, this is a model 978 works prototype.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But CZ sold this POS model 513 from 1984 through the early 1990s and then folded.
    [​IMG]

14. Nemosengineer

Oddometer:
    My big success of the day was removing the slightly tweaked steering stops from the frame. My secret sauce works again, a 50-50 mix of Kroil and methyl salicylate (oil of wintergreen), soak for 24 hours, warm everything up with a torch, hit it again with the secret sauce, and gently unscrew with the largest set of vice grips you can find... The good news, all the threads in the casting are in good shape
    [​IMG]

Timing cover fun, thanks to the "Pine-Sol" thread here on adventure rider, I figured I would give it another try after the success with the Webco part, this time with a real nasty timing cover, so it has been soaking for about 5 hours in a 50% solution and all the old gasket material and brown sealant is gone along with all the sludge and fluffy white corrosion, consider this the before photo. So far so good.
    [​IMG]

Other work accomplished was the removal of miscellaneous junk from the frame and subframe that only required a soak in secret sauce and no violence to remove, also started to work the shock mount brackets to get them back to factory straight.

spokester and JagLite like this.
  15. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're a brave man holding that device (phone/camera) directly above a bucket of pine sol and water...
    Nemosengineer likes this.
  16. Nemosengineer

Oddometer:
    Hi Kai,
    Perhaps "brave" is too strong a word, thinking about it "stoopid" would work just as well :hmmmmm.

: Mike :lol3
  17. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of my fears is of my phone sliding out of my shirt pocket as I'm bending down to flush the toilet...
  18. Nemosengineer

Oddometer:
    Sorry about the crap photos, here is the timing cover after 30 hours in the Pine-Sol bucket.

The corrosion is gone as is the sludge, and the gasket surface is clean and brite. This is just out of the bucket with a rinse in fresh water and a soft brush. Something interesting was I was able to pull the oil seals out of the cover with my finger!!!
    [​IMG]

On the outside most of the corrosion is gone along with red residue that was thick in the points cavity, I couldn't tell the condition of the recesses for the cover screws because the cover was filthy. So with no real work its starting to look fairly decent. Back in the bucket for another day, we will see what it looks like tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

Another interesting find was most the tapped holes in the frame were UNF as were the studs for the engine plates, makes finding hardware easy as I chased down all new grade 8 hardware and a fresh set of UNF taps for the subframe to mainframe mounts.
    [​IMG]

r60man, JagLite, invisa-bill and 2 others like this.
  19. Nemosengineer

Oddometer:
    Working when you're tired is stupid... I just cleaned the garage, my office, and my bedroom, trying to find to parts I needed to return, I found them in a drawer in the kitchen with the packing tape. Anyway I have been ordering gas tank stuff for the alloy tank, sofar what has shown up are a set of the correct OEM isolation rubbers...
    [​IMG]
    And petcocks, nylon tees for the crossover, 90 degree fittings, 40 micron Visu-Filter fuel filters, all sized for 5/16 fuel line. I am using 2 ea. reserve petcocks this should work well feeding a pair of big Mikunis till the tank is dry. I ordered the tank mount bolt, rubber and associated bits from England a few days ago so I should see it in another week or so, other than the fuel cap gasket this makes a complete assembly.
    [​IMG]

I did a test fit of the oil tank in the assembled frame and I'm very happy with the result. Christmas vacation I should be able to get the frame to the sandblaster to get it cleaned up and in a coat of primer, at that point the the chassis will be cleaned of useless tabs and brackets.
    I have been doing a lot of 12 hour days so progress has been slow, so hang in there things will be happening soon.

20. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was unfamiliar with UNF as a term, but I googled it. My '74 Triumph was pretty much a mixture of standard and Witworth fasteners. My '79 Bonneville was the trifecta of Standard, Witworth and metric. What a pain having to have three sets of tools nearby to do a simple job.
    Nemosengineer and JagLite like this.