Vintage Motocross Triumph, Old Guy Build.

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Nemosengineer, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Nemosengineer

Nemosengineer Hair Ball Supporter

Oddometer:
    Made progress today, I'm starting from the steering head and working my way aft, today's goal was to get rid of the steering lock plate. the scribe lines prior to cutting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Post cosmetic surgery result, yes I swing a mean file.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next up is to delete the fairing mounts, an in progress shot. With any luck I should have all this stuff removed and blended, my hope is it will look like none of this stuff was ever there.
    [​IMG]

More scrap metal.
    [​IMG]

: Mike
    Pezz_gs, invisa-bill, JagLite and 2 others like this.
  2. Fast Idle

Fast Idle Since the Sixties Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice! I take it you are feeling a bit better. :jkam
    Nemosengineer likes this.
  3. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    fixed!

damn dude, you're an animal with a file!!
  4. Nemosengineer

Oddometer:
    Things nobody will tell you... But I will. The casting for the Triumph steering head has an internal reduction of wall thickness in the area of the fairing lugs, this probably was done to provide a consistent wall thickness at the time of casting, this works great for the stock casting but causes problems during the removal of the lugs.
    I struck air during the removal of the lugs, this will require opening up of the affected areas to have shaped plugs inserted and welded to restore the wall thickness and strength to the steering head or a weld build up of this depression from the inside of the steering head. I will consult with my motorcycle friendly welder an we will come up with a fix.

[​IMG]

Now cutting these damn things off is nothing new, racers have done it, custom and chopper guys have done it, and it has been done since 1966 when these mounts first appeared. The part that bugs me is not a word of this has been said of this over all these years, my guess is this is a right of passage thing for the guys that have done this mod, now I'm a member of this club.
    So I guess the punchline is I fucked up by not being as through as I should have been. Oh well, fix it and move on.
    It's a wonderful New Year tomorrow and I will try to get something done to celebrate it.

Best New Year Wishes: Mike
    Fast Idle and Pezz_gs like this.
  5. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    What DICKS!!!
    Fast Idle and Nemosengineer like this.
  6. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    There was no internet to watch these guys fuck it up, they probably just said ''Oh shit !!'', bogged it up and painted over.
    Honda-50, Nemosengineer and Fast Idle like this.
  7. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, There was one guy on the Triumph weight reduction team !!!

Don
  8. Nemosengineer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys,
    I tend to get too emotionally involved with my projects, when something come off the tracks I take it far to personally, I have a fix for that though. I went on my favorite ride this morning, highway 79 to highway 76, looped through Palomar then back to I-15 then home via Starbucks. A great start on the new year. Thanks for all your support.

[​IMG]

invisa-bill likes this.
  9. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    that ride should have started at Clinton Keith Rd, and wound across the playa, down thru the deluz rd area, THEN to 76 around palomar...... my favorite ride.
  10. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    Not a Harley fan but I would love to try this one out. Would be fun to go squid hunting in the twisties with it.
  11. Nemosengineer

Oddometer:
    Wife has returned, for a week I have been a yard slave...:(
    But... I have received shinny things...:-)

Escargot and a wrench from Villiers, yes that Villiers
    [​IMG]

52 Tooth, 7075 T651 PBI Husqvarna sprocket to be combined with an 18 tooth gearbox sprocket currently being machined by Speed And Sport for 520 chain. That gives me an overall drive ratio of 5.7778, at 1000 RPM in first I can cruise at 5.2 MPH.
    [​IMG]

villageidiot and Beezer like this.
  12. invisa-bill

invisa-bill Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I've thought and searched and still don't have a clue what that Villiers wrench is for ... am I the only one?
  13. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    To rotate the chain adjusters ?
    invisa-bill and Nemosengineer like this.
  14. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Axle goes through large hole. There is a pin on the swing arm, rotating the snail cam, the notches indent against the pin. If the pins are installed correctly (a one time, workshop thing) then perfect alignment every time. Just match the notches.
    And easier chain tension, no fiddly little nuts or bolts.

AFAIK it was first used on the old ISDT bikes where a wheel had to be removed and replaced against the clock. Both Rickman and Cheney used them - and others.
    invisa-bill and Nemosengineer like this.
  15. Nemosengineer

Oddometer:
    Wow, you guys are on it. Bill I'm sorry about not being clear on my post. Kai Ju, and nickguzzi nailed it, they're called snail or cam adjusters and are installed just as nickguzz explained it, these are still very popular but seen mostly on dirt bikes.

[​IMG]

invisa-bill likes this.
  16. Nemosengineer

Oddometer:
    As usual a shift in priorities. I am at the point where I need an engine to continue with the chassis, to do things like get the frame over to Dr. Johns (https://www.drjohnsmfs.com/) to have him run it across the frame table, so I can do things like fit the rear wheel. Or... I could be very tired of filing on this frame.
    Anyways I ordered forged pistons from MAP (http://www.mapcycle.com/).
    [​IMG]

And roller bearings for the primary side (RHP) and the (break the bank at Monte Carlo) 3 piece (NSK) timing side roller bearing. The transmission wasn't ignored an it also got a full replacement of known quality, US, Japan, or English bearings, most of the bearings were sourced from Shropshire Classic Motorcycles. Shopping in England can save you money as a lot of these parts are OEM and are stupid money in the US, or the available parts are of unknown origin.
    [​IMG]

So all of this brings me to the point of having a complete engine with exception of a few minor bits, I'm still fishing around for quality machine work, this is one of the shops I'm considering https://hallscustomvintage.com/home/ their work looks nice.

That's All For Now: Mike
    Fast Idle likes this.
  17. invisa-bill

invisa-bill Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ha! So I was looking at it totally wrong, as if the spiral cam was part of the wrench and the second cam somehow mated with the first. None so blind as those who cannot see ... :rofl
    Never seen anything like it and thanks to everyone for the insights! Looks to be a trick bit of kit (I love this thread for multiple instances of trick stuff).
  18. Nemosengineer

Oddometer:
    Leaf Spring To Plunger, Shift Cam Conversion... Part 1

Triumph 650's built from late 1970 to 1972 had cost savings incorporated into their transmissions in the form of a leaf spring to index the cam plate, this leaf was used in both 4 and 5 speed transmissions. With careful setup these springs can work OK on the street.
    [​IMG]

What needs to be in there is the cam plate plunger assembly along with its matching cam plate for really crisp shifting. In my particular combination I am using 1978 T140 5 speed transmission (bombproof), and a 5 speed BSA Rocket-3 cam plate and plunger as shown below.
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately the plunger boss in the transmission case was not drilled and tapped in the leaf spring models. So what to do??? There is a drill fixture out there you can rent that is for a nominal fee and deposit, I will supply a link to this later in part 2.
    The fixture is proven over about ten years of triumph owners doing this conversion and is quite a nice piece of kit. Lots of happy users have signed the box and it has been all over the world.
    [​IMG]

The fixture has everything you need to complete the conversion, drill bushings and guides for all operations, pilot drill, tap drill, reamer, and tap. All you need to supply is a 1/2" drill motor, tap handle, and cutting fluid.
    [​IMG]

Installation of the fixture is simple, it guides off of the locating dowels in the face of the transmission cavity.
    [​IMG]

And is held on with 4 bolts.
    [​IMG]

The fixture provides alignment for the following opperations.
    [​IMG]

Drop in the bushing for the pilot hole and your ready to start.
    [​IMG]

Part 2 will follow shortly after the arrival of my new 1/2" drill motor as mine burst into flames when I pulled the trigger...:dirtdog

JagLite, spokester, Fast Idle and 5 others like this.
  19. Nemosengineer

Oddometer:
    Leaf Spring To Plunger, Shift Cam Conversion... Part 2

New drill arrived lets get started.
    [​IMG]

Pilot hole drilled and alingment with the shift cam is verified.
    [​IMG]

9/16 drill for the tap shown in the drill bushing with a bunch of chips.
    [​IMG]

The reamer provides clearance for the unthreaded portion of the index plunger body. The reamer bushing serves a dual purpose as a tap guide.
    [​IMG]

This is counter bore that the reamer cuts. After the counter bore the tap is ran through the tap guide and the job is done
    [​IMG]

Verification that the shift cam plunger tracks correctly on the cam plate, on the money!!!
    [​IMG]

Black felt marker was applied to the shift cam to see where the plunger was making contact.
    [​IMG]

The ink was removed to clearly see the existing wear marks on the cam plate. Its an exact match, the plunger is in the correct position.
    [​IMG]

Ink was applied to the top of the plunger boss as a guide.
    [​IMG]

And the surface was worked by hand until I had 100% contact with the gasket surface on the cam plunger body, so no leaks.
    [​IMG]

Cleanup and detailing performed on the plunger boss.
    [​IMG]

And the plunger body in its new home.
    [​IMG]

So all in all an excellent fixture that puts the parts where they need to go with surprising precision and really easy to use. If you need to use the fixture, PM me and I will get you the contact you need to make arrangements.

nzrian, JagLite, spokester and 9 others like this.
  20. Nemosengineer

Oddometer:
    The new year has been busy at work so not a lot to talk about... so I thought I would show you guys my junk...:smooch

A bunch of Kibblewhite stuff and bearings, and finally the Morgo oil pump showed up.
    [​IMG]

All the stuff to overhaul the swingarm pivot.
    [​IMG]

And a set of nice 3 inch Supertrapp diffusers to provide some period correct exhaust tuning, more discs are coming for these.

[​IMG]

nuggets, JagLite and motu like this.