Vintage Motocross Triumph, Old Guy Build.

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Nemosengineer, Sep 4, 2017.

1. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice drilling fixture!
    I converted my engine by dropping the cases off at the local machine shop with a sample case for them to copy.
    It was expensive of course.
    I didn't know about the fixture to do it at home...
    Nemosengineer likes this.
  2. Nemosengineer

Nemosengineer Hair Ball Supporter

Oddometer:
    The fixture was a good find, It took about 6 weeks to run it down after I first learned about it. There were a few really bad photos on the web, but I heard nothing but good things about it, so I decided to roll the dice and rent it. It turned out to be a good decision as the owner, builder and designer of the fixture, "Michael" nailed it.
    That brings me to today, I'm shopping for machine shops to deck the cases square to the crankshaft centerline, these guys are in the running as they do nice work... "Hall's Custom Vintage" (they are racers).

https://hallscustomvintage.com/home/

The pain of spending the money goes away when everything fits correctly.

: Mike
    JagLite likes this.
  3. Nemosengineer

Oddometer:
    Old School Baby!!!

Replica Bud Ekins Pipes
    [​IMG]

Steve McQueen liked them on his Triumph, Built by Bud Ekins, lets say there proven.
    [​IMG]

I was left with strict instructions by Harold at Johnson cams to run 41 to 42 inch long, 1 1/2 inch diameter pipes to get the most out of the head work and cams. To make that tuned length I have to saw off 10 inches of pipe to put the start of the disc section at 41 1/2 inches. The Supertrapp bodies will have the split section for the clamp cut off and then be brazed to the pipes. The pipes were ordered "raw" so after all the fitting, tweaks, tabs, and o2 sensor bungs, then can be ceramic coated.
    Caution: Wild Ideas To Follow:
    Yes cheep data collection, 2 wide band o2 sensors, 2 channel AFR gauge, a string potentiometer for throttle position read by a multimeter, a Works Connection mini tach, all installed in a shoe box with a small battery, and video camera. Yes I have no life.

[​IMG]

The View From The Rear...
    [​IMG]

And as a added extra bonus, a very nice made in India FAG 3 piece timing side main bearing with brass cage (better specs than the NSK equivalent), P/N NUP306-E-M1, when you split the cases you can remove the crank without the hassle of pressing the the timing side bearing out of the case half. For your viewing pleasure.
    [​IMG]

Combined with the English made RHP (owned by NSK) main bearing P/N MJRA1.1/8J, for the primary side.
    [​IMG]

That's All Folks: Mike
    nuggets, dpforth, Fast Idle and 4 others like this.
  4. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is so much beauty in well made parts
  5. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Even more so when they're installed by someone that cares.
  6. Nemosengineer

Oddometer:
    A minor side track to tool up. Looking ahead I needed a few things, first up...

80 Pounds of grade "A" black granite surface plate, 12" X 18" X 3".
    [​IMG]

2 Each Noga DG61003 mag base dial indicator stands.
    [​IMG]

2 each Mitutoyo 2776S dial indicators, 1 inch travel. .0005 resolution, primarily to dial in the dual cams but useful everywhere.
    [​IMG]

With lifting levers, damn handy.
    [​IMG]

And 1/4 inch ball indicator tips, that fit the pushrods
    [​IMG]

And a nice Motion Pro degree wheel.
    [​IMG]

And that's the end of the money for this week.

7. Nemosengineer

Oddometer:
    More transmission stuff showed up today, I bought a new main shaft high gear because mine had wear on the race for the high gear bearing and a chipped engagement dog. The race is nearest the gear, inboard of the splined section the sprocket lives on. The two needle bearings are pressed into the bore of the high gear, and the oil seal is pressed into the splined end of the high gear to seal the end main shaft that the clutch lives on... The gear and the big bearing are both L.F. Harris parts, the needle bearings are Koyo-Torrington.

[​IMG]

This is what the high gear looks like with the high bearing sitting on it.

[​IMG]

All the rest transmission bearings and thrust washers.

[​IMG]

Inner and outer cam bushings.

[​IMG]

nuggets, JagLite, TasTiger and 3 others like this.
  8. TasTiger

TasTiger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Replacing the inner cam bushings is a PITA, and once you get them and the outers done you got to get them line bored. My least favorite Triumph engine feature!
  9. Nemosengineer

Oddometer:
    Cockpit stuff...
    Forged AMAL competition levers with covers (Arreche, OEM Bultaco levers), A real Gunner Gasser throttle, Honda "CR" kill switch, OURY soft compound grips, and Renthal "Desert Vintage" bars. Normally I would run Magura levers on a vintage racer but they don't pull the correct amount of wire to make the Triumph clutch happy.
    I'm still buying tooling, I discovered I have a serious Mitutoyo fetish... I am also building up the war chest for upcoming machine work, I really want to get the engine together for this bike.

[​IMG]

dpforth, Fast Idle, JagLite and 3 others like this.
  10. Nemosengineer

Oddometer:
    Progress is being made, just not on the bike... I hit gridlock in the garage so a new tool box is going together that will go a long way toward reliving traffic. I am beefing up the box wit a piece of 3/4" 7 ply birch plywood to set the new granite surface plate, that frees up the bench to install the new little bench grinder and drill press. all this box holds is inspection and layout tools.

This place is a fooking mess... Consider this the "before" photo
    [​IMG]

I glued a little teak backstop on the plywood to keep crap from rolling off the back of the box, all the junk on it is keeping the backstop in place until the glue drys, I am using my new 2, 4, 6, blocks as bricks.
    [​IMG]

Because I cant stop myself I bought a new used Federal dial bore gauge, complete with all the contacts and tools, range is 2 1/8" to 4 1/4". resolution is .0001, this is a tool that was so expensive in the 1980's only defense contractors bought them. The nice thing is this type of bore gauge is set with a micrometer and not calibrated rings, a huge advantage.
    [​IMG]

I also picked up a cool Federal dial test indicator also .0001 resolution. This one spent most of its life on a shelf, I love government surplus.
    [​IMG]

With all the machine work I'm buying and all the parts I have to process this is the only way to be sure that everything is wonderful, after the engine is done I might go shopping for a Bridgeport, a new one costs less than a new Sportster...
    [​IMG]

That's All For Now: Mike
    JagLite, dpforth, huub and 4 others like this.
  11. lesman

lesman Live easy, Brake Hard

Oddometer:
    The mill is the cheap part. DRO, power feeds and tooling is where the money flows. ? At least this one has a X&Y DRO and a X powerfeed. If you are buying new. Look at a Precision Mathew's . Damn fine machine.
  12. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    How does one find the sweet government surplus measuring tools? Asking for a friend. . .
  13. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ask the widows of government machinists to look in the garage.

Don
    Honda-50 and Nemosengineer like this.
  14. Nemosengineer

Oddometer:
    Hi Lesman,
    Thanks for the tip. I am lucky to live in near the Los Angles area, used tooling is fairly plentiful here so that a good thing, I also get a fairly decent discount through my employer from a variety of suppliers. Because I'm about 5 years from retirement I need to make this happen in the next two years or so.

Hi R60man,
    My favorite places to find this stuff in no particular order are...
    Metrology shops that calibrate and repair precision tools, a lot of time stuff gets dropped off and never gets picked up or paid for, you can get tools cheap.
    Pawn shops, a lot of machinist stuff gets hocked and never picked up.
    EvilBay, just like motorcycles you can find deals or get your wallet cleaned, I have done fairly well on there. There are a few sellers that are metrology businesses that sell on there with some really good deals, for some reason Starrett always for big bucks, it's like cocaine for the faithful.
    About the only thing I wont buy used are calipers and micrometers.

Hi Don.
    Truer words have never been spoken.

15. lesman

lesman Live easy, Brake Hard

Oddometer:
    Grab bag sales on eBay. I have a buddy that has hit a grand slam 3 times on this type of sale. He has acquired 10k worth of tooling for $600 to $ 900 in bidding . Much of what he has bought is new and never used.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
  16. Nemosengineer

Oddometer:
    I'm still working getting the garage functional again but some parts did show up tonight...

18 tooth five speed main shaft sprocket cut for 520 chain, .125 cut from the outboard face and the teeth re-contoured, for a little bit better chain line with the Husqvarna rear wheel and a bit of weight loss by not using 530 chain
    [​IMG]

And a new 1 7/8" Proto deep impact socket to install the sprocket lock tab and nut while still clearing the end of the main shaft. The socket is over 4 inches long.
    [​IMG]

JagLite likes this.
  17. Nemosengineer

Oddometer:
    Sneak Preview, Works Geometry Lower Husqvarna/Triumph Conversion Triple Clamp... Emig Racing
    More photos as I get them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Fast Idle

Fast Idle Since the Sixties Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap:photog!!!
  19. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    pretty but it will be a bitch to keep clean
    Velocipede and Nemosengineer like this.
  20. Vince

Vince Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wondered where you were at,all these new gadgets