Vintagec Bronco sat fir 4 years. Startup

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Lomez, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Lomez

Lomez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Decided to just give it a shot rather than fully drain the tank and rebuilding the carbs. Went ahead and put a battery jumper on and cranked it for about 30 seconds while pumping the gas. Surprisingly, it sputtered to life ..... but only sputtered. It idled on about 5 or 6 cylinders while blowing copious amounts of black very very rich fuel smelling smoke. No matter what I did I couldn't seem to get it out of this condition.

When I stopped to look under the hood there was a couple of cups of liquid gasoline sitting in all the galleys of the intake manifold as well as elsewhere. I should know what is going on but I don't. What is the problem? What should I look at cleaning up or fixing to see if I can get this sorted out? Thanks
  2. gonerydin

gonerydin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Float is probably stuck
    trumpet, MNdirt and phreakingeek like this.
  3. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    First place I'd look.
  4. ABHooligan

ABHooligan The Flying Mythos

Oddometer:
    Sometimes tapping on the bowl with a screwdriver (gently!) will unstick the float or free the trash holding it open. Also, try fueling it from a vessel of fresh fuel. Old stuff won't burn very well at all. The black smoke may be from a buildup of oil on the piston heads or valves.
  5. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    When you tap the fuel bowl with a screwdriver, hit it with the plastic handle, not the tip.

If I were you I'd smell the gas. Bad gas smells terrible, not like gas at all. If it smells like the gas in a running car, don't worry too much. I'd clean the carb. It's not that hard.
  6. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    you can be more aggressive than that on the tapping.... just don't hit it hard enough to break the casting. really
  7. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    agree, stuck float, but if you continue to crank and no fire, excess gas can drain to the crankcase and dilute the oil, not good. when that happens, you can smell fuel on the dipstick, wouldn't hurt to check.
  8. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you don't want a lot of problems,drain/flush tank,rebuild carb(s) and replace all the rubber fuel lines,including anything under the vehicle.Put a good quality fuel filter in line before the carb(s)
    Do a full tune up,oil and coolant change and do full brake flush/brake job and replace any rubber lines.
    Anything less and you will be asking for future trouble.

All this assuming it is a viable vehicle you want to keep,or sell at a reasonable price.
    Early Broncos are collectable these days.

JR356
    baldman1 likes this.
  9. Cogswell

Cogswell Trying to live the new normal.

Oddometer:
    Also the the air cleaner housing for a rodent nest. :deal
    JR356 likes this.
  10. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    Please post photos of said Bronco

And 4 year-old CA gas is the worst thing you can put into your carbs. I left some in a vintage VW for less than two years and the fuel pump was completely gummed up, almost as if someone dumped some gelling agent into the fuel tank

(signed, an EB fan)
  11. scapegoat

scapegoat Pushin forward back

Oddometer:
    It does sound as if the float is hung up. That being said it would certainly be in your best interest to keep a watchful eye under the hood while you try to run it. If fuel if puking out of the carb or a bad gasket you could easily go up in flames. Personally Ive had nothing but problems with Holly 4 bbl carbs and leaky transfer tube seals, sticky floats etc if thats what on it. At any rate after 4 years of rotting Ca gas your likely in need of some fuel system rehab.