Virginia to Alaska and back on an '86 Yamaha Radian

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by ruffntuff, Oct 2, 2012.

1. THB

THB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Figures, my home town is the one downer of this story.
  2. Sir Not Appearing

Sir Not Appearing That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer:
    Now, wait a minute. You're going to Alaska without knobbies, aluminum panniers, or day glo gear?

Nice, trip report and good luck on your journey!

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC
  3. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent Anna. Thanks for staying with it.
  4. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. 75bronco

75bronco Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bump
  6. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You just have to be patient until the next instalment, they tend to take awhile.
  7. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    Agree. Anna made this trip four years ago. Replaying it on this thread with accuracy, emotion, and pics, has to take a lot of effort on her part. Personally, would love to know what she has done since this ride, but that's four years of life she has lived, and this original story isn't completed yet.

"PAtience, young Grasshopper." tp dd50
  8. GuillermoM

GuillermoM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Anna!
  9. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    Anna,
    How can you be so freaking insightful? You're so young!
    I guess we all have our gifts.

And perhaps though many other things might support the theory, it turns out your $400 phone bill confirms you're really not super-human after all. Which is good...

"Communicating has been a struggle in my life,..."
    Maybe you're shy in person but your writing is not, it's awesome. I rarely see the kind of confidence in relating the truth and complexity of the emotions and actions you experienced.

"It becomes a desirable challenge for the thrill. It’s like solving a puzzle or working through a maze to find a way around obstacles executing fast decisions. It’s empowering and it’s fun."
    Absolutely! I find this true of all riding. Even driving. Riding is therapy for me. Eliminating all other thoughts to focus on the "game" is the mental part, the physical part is mostly in off-road riding. It's nice to see someone fairly new at it to come to the realization so soon.

Really have enjoyed your story, thanks. Will read eagerly as you continue to relate.

@GaryAK you guys officially rock! Sweet VF interceptor your friend had.
    PlainClothesHippy and AVPU like this.
  10. zzo

zzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately I've been treated like garbage twice when entering Canada. Yes, it surprised me too. Once I had to unload my whole pick-up and the other time I was forced to wait in the search area for a long time. I finally went inside and the irritated witch told me to get the hell out of here. She forgot she had me waiting out there. People can be asses in either country.
    Hashbrowns likes this.
  11. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I find it's just luck of the draw crossing the border going either way, seems to depend on the mood of the agent you get. Although having a passport for each country does tend to help:D
  12. jules083

jules083 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Happy to see the story is continuing, even though it's slow.

Excellent writing, looking foreword to more.
  13. CarolinaYankee

CarolinaYankee Carolina Yankee

Oddometer:
    Great job Anna! Another multi year lurker who has been drawn to your amazing RR. Thank you for getting this story down in words. I can't believe I've just powered through three years of this story, including the posts of many readers bemoaning time gaps between updates, only to join their ranks with this super cliffhanger. :-) Now I know what Game of Thrones readers went through waiting for George RR Martin to finish a book. Looking forward to the journey!
    AVPU likes this.
  14. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Did you read the Wheel of Time series? That was more years of waiting than Game of Thrones:lol3
    torquester and CarolinaYankee like this.
  15. Rogerthat1

Rogerthat1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fantastic story Anna, gripping from the first thread page. You write with a maturity and insight well beyond your years. You have a real gift - each episode leaves the reader full of anticipation for the next part of the story - just like one of those unputdownable books late at night when you really need to get to sleep - but you just have to read one more chapter. In anticipation of your next episode . . Alan
  16. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    Still check back occasionally to see if Anna has posted anything new. Not this time, I see...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and all your loyal readers. tomp dd50
    ONandOFF and Uke like this.
  17. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    Likewise Tom. I expect Anna is preparing to take a place at a big table with her family over the mtn. The subject of her trip is likely to come up.
  18. Brett737cap

Brett737cap Life is short... leave with no regrets.

Oddometer:
    Just found your ride report Anna, and I have spent all afternoon reading it. My wife and I live in the Northern Neck, South of Colonial Beach, VA. We come up towards C'ville hiking often. If you're ever going to be in our area, send me a PM and we would love to have you over for coffee or a meal.

My wife is new to riding (she rides on the back), while I have been doing it since I was 10, so she is a little hesitant still, but I want her to see it how fun it can be. She, like you, has suffered loss in her life. She lost her mother at 12, and her father just passed from Cancer last year, when she was 38. Then, 6 months after her father, her grandfather, who helped raised her, passed away. She is stoic and doesn't talk about it really, but I know its in there, the pain and the loneliness at not having family any more. I guess I am all she has now, but I can never replace them. Anyhow, she is very independent and adventurous, and I think she would enjoy talking to another woman like her. I think I have her talked into a S. America bike trip but it would always be nice to her to talk to someone (besides myself) who has done a long bike trip.

Cheers and keep up the riding and great writing!
    Brett
    frank wheelbarrow and ONandOFF like this.
  19. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well damn. I made it to the end of the RR before Ruff n Tuff. Now I get to wait with the rest of the crowd. :2cry
  20. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are in good company! I am sure there are hundreds still signed on waiting patiently for the final pages. It has been a wonderful ride so far and if we never hear the rest.....well that is just how it goes sometimes! Hopefully the journey gave Anna the closure SHE was looking for.
    JJ