Virginia to Alaska and back on an '86 Yamaha Radian

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by ruffntuff, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Spider124

Spider124 n00b

Oddometer:
    Anna,
    It was a pleasure meeting you and the others at Firefly a week or so ago. I was the guy sitting at the table closest to the front and who asked so many questions. And why not, I'll be making a solo ride to Alaska in June. I admire your grit and determination, and purpose. Like I mentioned, I'm supposed to be making this ride as part of a larger ride that my buddy Rick and I had planned. We even jointly kept a spreadsheet of the states and Canadian provinces we would be in so that we wouldn't miss anything. Well so much for that. With Rick's unexpected death I'll be doing it solo. I got a lot of grief from family not to do the ride but in the end realized that if I didn't do it now, I might not ever get it done. Ok, now for the questions.
    What item or items did you not take on the trip but you wished you had. And conversely, what did you take that you wish you had not taken? How long did your trip take? Thanks to your post I just found Milepost Alaska and a phone app for Parks Canada. Is there a list of items that you took on your trip? I did a fair amount of camping in the Canyonlands in Utah, as well as several cross country bike trips and probably packed similarly except the potential for weather variations is greater in Alaska. I have heated grips, a heated vest, but will need good boots to go along with my jackets, gloves, and rain gear. Anyway, any information you can share would be appreciated. Oh yes, any encounters with animals? I may find the answers to some of these questions when I read your entire post but am still getting used to this site so have not found the full post. Thanks. Steve
  2. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    You might want to post this question in Trip Planning.
  3. Steve 1

Steve 1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I live 10 miles from the end of the Skyline Drive and go one more mile past the end that's where the Blue Ridge Parkway begins.[​IMG] [​IMG]
  4. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    :thumb I live here, too. :D

You can see both from the inn at Afton, where the two meet.
    WolfComm likes this.
  5. Spider124

Spider124 n00b

Oddometer:
  6. Spider124

Spider124 n00b

Oddometer:
    Really nice bike.
  7. Steve 1

Steve 1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All stock 1982 Honda GL500I SilverWing , mini Gold Wing,two cylinder transverse twin made in 81 and 82.Same faring as Gold Wing.17349 imported to USA.
    ONandOFF likes this.
  8. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    Very nice!

[​IMG]

My 85 Sabre along with a gold wing i came across at Raven roost overlook, about mile ten on the BRP.
  9. steved57

steved57 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well so I've just read this whole ride report and as many have stated it is fantastic and like everyone else I'd love to see it finished one of these days

Anna you rock and your writing really really good
  10. Vhitey

Vhitey n00b

Oddometer:
    Great report, thanks for investing the time to share. Cheers to those that helped along the way and a long moment of shared reflection for those we shan't forget.
  11. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    ShOqUePoT, mikegc, Uke and 2 others like this.
  12. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chip Seal and ONandOFF like this.
  13. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    Part of me wishes I knew how her trip ended, but since it's been years ago, I'm just glad I got to follow along from the start, as she presented her odyssey. It was the best and most realistic RR/story I have ever read on any forum. Thanks again Anna, for sharing such an important time in your life. Hope all things are going well for you today. tomp dd50
    TonyKZ1, Uke, mikegc and 2 others like this.
  14. FlatlandKSBrett

FlatlandKSBrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I miss reading updates on this report.....
  15. ruffntuff

ruffntuff TUFRDR

Oddometer:
    Part 3--Day 6

Santa Fe, NM – Fort Worth, TX: 703 miles

September 17th, 2012

Santa Fe is an inspiring town. It is a gem in the desert. The rugged landscape softened by the warm colors of the horizon inspire creative artists from all over the world. The Pueblo-style earth tone architecture with soft and smooth edges looks like it has risen from the ground like giant sand castles. Flat wooden roof beams blend naturally into the buildings while turquoise and bright yellow colors accent walls, columns, and doorways.

I stayed in the Santa Fe International Hostel which is a piece of art in itself. The weathered hand-painted mural on the outside wall of the flat ranch house resembles the remains of an old homestead. It was a comfortable place to stay with free food, affordable single rooms, and close proximity to downtown.

After grabbing a local brew and pizza at Draft Station I wandered the Santa Fe Plaza, gawked at the Romanesque St. Francis Cathedral, and drove down the infamous Canyon road. I hopped from gallery to gallery mesmerized by the creativity of others who have flocked to this area for its mysterious motivation.

I remember the first time I was inspired to learn to draw. It was in second grade when I had a friend named Birdie that could draw a portrait as if it were a photograph. She was a prodigy, or at least I thought she was. I was so amazed by her talent I think I decided then I wanted to be an artist when I grew up.

Drawing and painting became a hot pursuit when I was in middle school. I had the opportunity to go to a magnet school where I chose visual arts as my magnet. The next couple years I explored a wide variety of mediums to play with and for the first time experienced the “high” artists often refer to when immersed in the middle of a project. It was like having tunnel vision where no outside distractions are noticed and the only thing my mind and body could focused on was the project in front of me. Time didn’t exist. It was a glorious distraction from the typical stressors of being a teenager.

Dan was also a creative artist that inspired me. Although he didn’t pursue art academically, he naturally had the mind of an artist and was often drawing and creating things. He once painted a dragon on the wall of his room with Tide. He had to work under a black light to see what he was doing. You would never know there was a masterpiece on the wall during the day, but when he turned the black light on there was a medieval dragon spreading his wings 10 feet across the ceiling. It was months before our parents ever knew it was there.

When it came time to leave Santa Fe, my mind was in a calm place. The artist brain in myself had been resurrected and provided comfort. Using my imagination was a way to channel my thoughts and energy in a different direction. It was a familiar distraction.

I left Santa Fe heading south on 285 towards Roswell. I decided to stay off I-40 since battling the wind without a windshield would be torturous. The scenery got bleaker the further south I got but I felt more present in my mind and body than I had in a long time. I channeled my creative energy towards the Radian and tuned in to every brake, lean, shift, and acceleration. I felt an internal tunnel vision as I focused on being one with the machine. This was the art of riding a motorcycle.

The finesse, the balance, the equilibrium, all those things surfaced together.

It was a long 12-hour ride through the dust bowl of southeast New Mexico and western Texas. But the roaring tiger inside me from the day before had settled. It felt as if no time had gone by at all. This opened a window, a channel, to establish peace. I was looking forward to going home.

Attached Files:

george248, rodr, EZMoney and 17 others like this.
  16. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    :clap

Wow, that long of a riding day requires a lot of focus and endurance!

(images aren't working here yet)
  17. ruffntuff

ruffntuff TUFRDR

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm working on it, not sure why....
    just jeff likes this.
  18. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    They showed up all together at the bottom now as thumbnails. That'll do!

Santa Fe looks like it could be a Latin American town.
  19. OV10

OV10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome back Anna!
    Uke likes this.
  20. ruffntuff

ruffntuff TUFRDR

Oddometer:
    Thankful for this journey. Thankful for my family. Thankful for my fans. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Peace and love.
    Anna
    just jeff, TonyKZ1, Milosh and 19 others like this.